The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:32 pm

A fighter jet is deliberately unstable in flight. That is what allows for better maneuverability. The augmented flight control systems on those things are extremely advanced to deal with this, and the risk is much lower.

A passenger airline needs to be extremely stable, lethargic even in maneuvers. High lift. The flight controls should just have to fight against the aircraft's propensity to fly in a straight line. That's what you want.

No way I would fly one of these things.

But I don't plan on flying commercial anyway for lots of other reasons. Fuck that shit.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:32 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:12 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:10 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:09 pm
Seems to me, these commercial pilots were confronted with the sort of situation fighter pilots are confronted with.

For example F/A-18 has an infamous design flaw which causes a stall called the "Falling Leaf"

Military fighter pilots are trained to deal with these sorts of issues, commercial pilots are not.

Moreover, there's one pilot in a fighter and he has an ejection seat, so inherent instability is worth the risk.
What would happen if you ejected while your plane was upside down? Would you break your neck?
Not with the seats and canopies today, there's an explosive cord embedded in the canopy which blows a hole in it, so you don't end up like Goose in Top Gun.
I remember a pilot coming and talking to us when I was in elementary school. He said that every time you use the ejection seat it compresses your spine and you actually get shorter. I think he was fucking with us because every military person I've asked that question says it is bullshit. It is bullshit right?
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:34 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:32 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

What would happen if you ejected while your plane was upside down? Would you break your neck?
Not with the seats and canopies today, there's an explosive cord embedded in the canopy which blows a hole in it, so you don't end up like Goose in Top Gun.
I remember a pilot coming and talking to us when I was in elementary school. He said that every time you use the ejection seat it compresses your spine and you actually get shorter. I think he was fucking with us because every military person I've asked that question says it is bullshit. It is bullshit right?
It is not bullshit, but you might stretch back out over time.

You can actually do the reverse right now by hanging upside down for about thirty minutes or so.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:35 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

I've heard the same thing, but I didn't doubt it, lots of things in the military are bad for your back, no doubt.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:41 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:34 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

You can actually do the reverse right now by hanging upside down for about thirty minutes or so.
Apparently the military did some test where they hung a guy upside down and after many hours his eyes flipped, so he was seeing stuff right side up while he was upside down. When they un-flipped him, his eyes stayed that way for awhile. One of my teachers told the class that, so again it could be bullshit.
Shikata ga nai

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:41 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:11 pm
I don't believe in coincidences.
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

Garak Knows
*yip*

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:04 am

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:41 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:34 pm
heydaralon wrote:

Apparently the military did some test where they hung a guy upside down and after many hours his eyes flipped, so he was seeing stuff right side up while he was upside down. When they un-flipped him, his eyes stayed that way for awhile. One of my teachers told the class that, so again it could be bullshit.
One of our pilots had in the early 90s punched out into the shockwave as the plane was crossing over into supersonic. He was completely wrecked. HUD malfunctioned at night over the ocean and he did not realize he was heading down until he noticed the sounds of the little shockwaves across the canopy as he went transonic.

He was a really good officer when I was in. Good guy. Very safety conscious by that time.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:15 am

StCapps wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:41 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:11 pm
I don't believe in coincidences.
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

Garak Knows
I loved his character, but if you know the rest of that and his history, you’ll know full well he was in a field that made coincidences happen.

So that is why he didn’t trust them.
#NotOneRedCent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:06 pm

:lol: :clap:

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:21 pm

GDLS reasserts the Abrams as the best in the world MBT

M1A2C with Trophy APS.

Nec Aspera Terrent