Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:31 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:23 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:18 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:17 am

The last pilot was a veteran pilot. By their standards...

And why the hell are they using autopilot at low altitudes? This isn’t a console game.

To me it sounds like improper use of technology. (Bad judgement)
It's not a full autopilot, it's just for if the aircraft stalls. The issue is not so much experience, Boeing apparently just has a one hour self training session on an iPad to convert to the MAX, so some pilots are saying they don't get enough training when they switch from a regular 737 to a 737MAX
Even so, there is a reason that the airplane kept looking like it was being jerked up and down, but my problem is that if this was true, why was it allowed to stay so slow so that the autopilot kept on kicking in.

I'm sorry, but something isn't adding up, and I bet they don't get enough training, but if a pilot believes that, perhaps they should say something and bring it up for review? Because, well I don't know lives are on the line?

It seems to me that if what you say is true, the pilots are using the lack of training as an excuse for "pilot error" instead of saying they need more training...
Merely speculation based on reports, it is entirely plausible that Boeing has a much more serious problem with the entire flight control system, hence why the market is dumping Boeing stock right now.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:35 pm

I actually view these situations as buying opportunities, panic selling for the win, but Boeing is only off by 5% so far, so I wouldn't call it a steal as of yet.

In theory, down 5% in a day is twenty days from bankruptcy, but obviously Boeing is TBTF in Washington.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:48 pm

It's possible but doubtful at this point.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:55 pm

I expect Boeing to rebound, I just want more value than a 5% discount.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Now a 6.15% discount, but still not juicy enough, Europe and India have grounded 737MAX, so lets see if that incites more panic selling.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:46 pm

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:52 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:00 pm
Now a 6.15% discount, but still not juicy enough, Europe and India have grounded 737MAX, so lets see if that incites more panic selling.
I have not looked at the technicals, but you could very well see a good entry point soon for betting on this being some dumbass Skinny crashing the plane probably through a combination of poor maintenance and pilot error.

Just be ready to bail if they announce there really is a defect. Maybe get an options contract to hedge for that.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:52 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:00 pm
I have not looked at the technicals, but you could very well see a good entry point soon for betting on this being some dumbass Skinny crashing the plane probably through a combination of poor maintenance and pilot error.

Just be ready to bail if they announce there really is a defect. Maybe get an options contract to hedge for that.
Boeing is too big to fail, there's no real danger here, it's just a question of do I want to shift capital to Boeing away from other things, also they ain't exactly blowing me away with a 2.19% dividend. That being said, pressure from the sell off might incite them to up that dividend, at which point it becomes enticing,
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:07 pm

I mean, if Boeing went for a complete spiral, that would be a buy for sure, Boeing at a steep discount is a too big to fail lunch menu.

But that is of course why it is not going there, so really we're just nibbling around the margins with some reflex panic selling.
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:11 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:31 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:23 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:18 pm

It's not a full autopilot, it's just for if the aircraft stalls. The issue is not so much experience, Boeing apparently just has a one hour self training session on an iPad to convert to the MAX, so some pilots are saying they don't get enough training when they switch from a regular 737 to a 737MAX
Even so, there is a reason that the airplane kept looking like it was being jerked up and down, but my problem is that if this was true, why was it allowed to stay so slow so that the autopilot kept on kicking in.

I'm sorry, but something isn't adding up, and I bet they don't get enough training, but if a pilot believes that, perhaps they should say something and bring it up for review? Because, well I don't know lives are on the line?

It seems to me that if what you say is true, the pilots are using the lack of training as an excuse for "pilot error" instead of saying they need more training...
Merely speculation based on reports, it is entirely plausible that Boeing has a much more serious problem with the entire flight control system, hence why the market is dumping Boeing stock right now.
The market is dumping Boeing because of kneejerk reactions, this will hurt them short term, not long term. That being said, Boeing has already stated they will push a software update soon, what bothers me is that people have become too dependent on technology.

The thing is that Boeing's training taught how to turn off the specific auto-pilot that is meant to be said to have caused the crash... the steps to do it seem to be overly complicated, instead of just having a button you push, and it then sets off the proper chain of events to turn it off.

I have to agree with Trump to some extent on this point when you give away controls to technology, you lose the ability to recover from something it may have caused.

We created the Atomic Bomb and flew men to the moon with slide rulers, paper, pencil, pens, and chalkboards.

Today we can't improve technology that is 50+ years old (airplanes and weapons) without computers because we have forgotten how to use our brains properly it seems.

My Papa was a pilot, he flew over the hump, there were times he had to fly by instruments alone... you can't do that today unless you are an ungodly skilled pilot... which is scary.

If it comes down to that it was pilot error, then we need to make sure that the pilots are properly trained because as it stands now, it a very short amount of time, and an even smaller region, they have so far proven they can't fly complex machinery.
#NotOneRedCent