The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:05 am

I have not looked into this crash yet, but autopilot at low altitude is not that bad. It depends what you mean by low-altitude. To an F-15, low altitude is like 50 meters from the ground. But it has TFR, automatic fly-up, and the E-model has a LANTIRN nav pod. You can just switch on TFR and the thing will fly adjust automatically to the terrain as you fly along a pretty low altitude. If it can't compensate, it just pitches up and gets you above the problem.

For an airline, as long as your altitude is higher than the tallest ground feature, you should be okay.

Most crashes are a result of human error, either in flight or by ground crew. It takes a lot to crash a plane by defect because of the redundancies involved.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:13 am

And just glancing through the first article, the pilot reported some kind of malfunction and was cleared to return. There would not have been autopilot engaged at that point.

I would lean towards poor maintenance and bad piloting at this point. They have to figure out exactly what happened. Ethopia is not exactly running safe airlines either.

If you travel internationally, you should be very, very cautious about what foreign airline companies you contract with. Most of them are garbage. American companies are the safest, and my confidence in them is so low that I refuse to fly commercial airlines.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:37 am

BTFO EINSTEIN

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:42 am

Einstein would literally forget to tie his shoes. So, yeah, I am not sure I would want that absent-minded motherfucker piloting my plane either. Stick to physics, Einstein. We will keep you supplied with pretty female assistants to keep your shoes tied.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:07 am

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:18 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:17 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:34 am
The Conservative wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:57 am

Ever notice that the issues are happening in the same place of the world?

Perhaps it’s not the airplane?
Sounds like it's the combination of a fancy auto pilot and a lack of training because Boeing wanted to sell it as a minor change not requiring a full course, to save costs, but the less experienced pilots got bit by it.

What it does is correct a stall automatically by forcing the nose down, but seems like what happened with the African pilots is that they stalled at low level and when the plane auto corrected the nose down they didn't recover it and flew straight down to impact.
The last pilot was a veteran pilot. By their standards...

And why the hell are they using autopilot at low altitudes? This isn’t a console game.

To me it sounds like improper use of technology. (Bad judgement)
It's not a full autopilot, it's just for if the aircraft stalls. The issue is not so much experience, Boeing apparently just has a one hour self training session on an iPad to convert to the MAX, so some pilots are saying they don't get enough training when they switch from a regular 737 to a 737MAX
Nec Aspera Terrent

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:18 pm

It's not a full autopilot, it's just for if the aircraft stalls. The issue is not so much experience, Boeing apparently just has a one hour self training session on an iPad to convert to the MAX, so some pilots are saying they don't get enough training when they switch from a regular 737 to a 737MAX

Well, that clears it all up.

Only the skeckel cucks won't get it now.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:03 pm

Boeing is run for the unions, and they are in cut throat competition with Airbus, Airbus being another subsidized union run shop, this seems to create a culture of cutting corners at Boeing.

They pitched the 737MAX to the airlines a same old same old 737 no conversion costs, when in fact it is a brand new jet which apparently doesn't fly like a regular 737 after all.
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:23 pm

"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:23 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:18 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:17 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:34 am

Sounds like it's the combination of a fancy auto pilot and a lack of training because Boeing wanted to sell it as a minor change not requiring a full course, to save costs, but the less experienced pilots got bit by it.

What it does is correct a stall automatically by forcing the nose down, but seems like what happened with the African pilots is that they stalled at low level and when the plane auto corrected the nose down they didn't recover it and flew straight down to impact.
The last pilot was a veteran pilot. By their standards...

And why the hell are they using autopilot at low altitudes? This isn’t a console game.

To me it sounds like improper use of technology. (Bad judgement)
Even so, there is a reason that the airplane kept looking like it was being jerked up and down, but my problem is that if this was true, why was it allowed to stay so slow so that the autopilot kept on kicking in.

I'm sorry, but something isn't adding up, and I bet they don't get enough training, but if a pilot believes that, perhaps they should say something and bring it up for review? Because, well I don't know lives are on the line?

It seems to me that if what you say is true, the pilots are using the lack of training as an excuse for "pilot error" instead of saying they need more training...
#NotOneRedCent