The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

The Conservative

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by The Conservative » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:07 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:03 am
News flash: space opera is a subset of space fantasy.
Wow, you just have to be right don't you? It's a Space Opera, call it what it is, or GTFO.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:09 am

The Conservative wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:07 am
Wow, you just have to be right don't you? It's a Space Opera, call it what it is, or GTFO.
It's not real science fiction if it's not based on real science. Period. That belongs in the fantasy section. Just because you replaced the gay wizard with Giordi Laforge doesn't make it real science fiction.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:11 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Actually watching the original now. Up to the assault on the death star.
Not seen it for ages, there were even bits I'd forgotten.
Have to say, most of the acting and dialogue is appalling.
The light sabre duel between Vader and OB Wan made me laugh out loud.
Family Guy did it better.
Watch this instead. Then 11-13 as standalone

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SUplioG2DC4

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:15 am

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:09 am
The Conservative wrote:
It's not real science fiction if it's not based on real science. Period. That belongs in the fantasy section. Just because you replaced the gay wizard with Giordi Laforge doesn't make it real science fiction.
And yet Star Wars has given birth to real tech we use and the same with Star Wars, but yeah, lets just ignore that so you will be right :roll:
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:32 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:15 am
The Conservative wrote:

And yet Star Wars has given birth to real tech we use and the same with Star Wars, but yeah, lets just ignore that so you will be right :roll:
Can you explain to me how a light saber can possibly work according to actual science? It's just magic with science-like names. That's still fantasy.

Some space fantasy is pretty good, unlike garbage movies and television shows. Check out the Galaxy's Edge series on Audible. That shit is straight space opera (fantasy) and it's really good. Sword and Planet is another science fantasy subgenre that has some good shit in there (like all of the Barsoom novels).

As far as what Star Wars in particular actually is.. it's actually a retelling of Samurai films in set in space. Literally, that's what he was trying to do. There was a lot of back and forth between the United States and Japanese movie industries, and this was one of them. It's more closely related to the American western, which is what Samurai films were based on (which is why the western film genre was for a very long time all but replaced by science fantasy films).

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:40 pm

I should get paid for schooling you animals.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:44 pm

Nobody cares about that stupid movie except overgrown manchildren

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:59 pm

Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:32 pm
The Conservative wrote:

Can you explain to me how a light saber can possibly work according to actual science? It's just magic with science-like names. That's still fantasy.

Some space fantasy is pretty good, unlike garbage movies and television shows. Check out the Galaxy's Edge series on Audible. That shit is straight space opera (fantasy) and it's really good. Sword and Planet is another science fantasy subgenre that has some good shit in there (like all of the Barsoom novels).

As far as what Star Wars in particular actually is.. it's actually a retelling of Samurai films in set in space. Literally, that's what he was trying to do. There was a lot of back and forth between the United States and Japanese movie industries, and this was one of them. It's more closely related to the American western, which is what Samurai films were based on (which is why the western film genre was for a very long time all but replaced by science fantasy films).

I didn't know you also cared for space fantasy, I've heard you critique it plenty. Do you like westerns at all? I might have a book you'd like.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:03 pm

Fife wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:59 pm
The Conservative wrote:

I didn't know you also cared for space fantasy, I've heard you critique it plenty. Do you like westerns at all? I might have a book you'd like.
I read a few of LaMore's novels. Not that into Westerns, though I liked his stories.

Space/Science Fantasy can be okay if it sticks with it's genre. Where it gets stupid is when space fantasy tries to bill itself as science fiction. The big offender there is Star Trek, which is mostly garbage, honestly.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:44 pm

The Conservative wrote:

You mean how a light beam focused a beam of light into something more?

Tells you that you are talking at of your ass again, lightsabers aren’t laser blades, they are plasma held together by a force field.

The reason it won’t work today is because the lightsaber’s power requirements could power up about 11k houses.

We have not advanced enough technogically to produce said item.

Is it possible, mathematicialy, yes.

Realistically, the starting point on it has already begun, real effort you probably won’t see for another 25 to 50 years until micronization is perfected.

Of course, let’s ignore that and just state for the time that if we have reached that level of tech, we got other things to worry about.
#NotOneRedCent