The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Speaker to Animals

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:08 pm

SF. You do not plan something like that. Just go to Wallyworld and buy a Remington 870. It's not a huge deal unless you live in a strict blue state.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:34 pm

I am officially off the leatherman train. Fuck leatherman. My grandpa was right when he bought me a Gerber when I was 10. Why didnt I listen to him? This Gerber is great. You know what my leatherman did to me yesterday? It broke. How? Opening a can of chili. Fuck leatherman. Eat a dick.

Fuck. This Gerber comes lubed in a viscous oil that reminds me of cosmoline. This thing is great. And the plier operation opens with a flick of the wrist. This thing is tacticool and black too. The sheath is far superior. My leatherman sheaf was barely even alive.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:50 pm

Quality has fallen dramatically. My Leatherman Supertool I bought in Saudi Arabia in 1996 is still rocking it like the day I got it (with some scratches).

On my third fucking skeletool now. They don't last too long.

Are they even made in the USA anymore?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:59 pm

That's what I suspect. My friend is still rocking his Vietnam era leatherman his dad gave him that has a head gauge built into it. Leather case. Works fine. Keeps telling me to send it in to have it replaced but I dont see the point in carrying that kind of crap around if it breaks on a fucking bean can and quits operating smoothly after one day of work. I'll probably get it replaced and sell it. Time will tell if the Gerber is any better but it does say made in the USA so idk.

I will say I feel like the tolerances are all shit already just like my leatherman was. They probably both are guilty of the same crime where they assemble the chinese milled dog shit in the USA.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:07 pm

REI says the Skeletool is made in the USA from imported parts, so you are correct.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:30 pm

I never buy em new, Pawn Shop baby.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:43 pm

They have those where you are at? You know sometimes you need a tool in the next hour or you have a whole lot of people pissed off at you.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:11 pm

It's not like I never get to town man.

I have a couple leathermen and a couple Gerbers. A small one on my fishing vest, one with the hunting pack, a couple scattered in vehicles. I'm not a daily multitool on the belt guy, so I need to spread them around to be handy. That's why I buy at Pawn Shops, too damn cheap to buy new.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:20 am

Victorinox ftw. Say what you want about the Swiss but they know quality. The blade can't replace a real knife but the tools always work.

Last edited by Hastur on Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:35 am

My 15 year old Leatheman is still going strong apart from a broken tip on the smallest screwdriver. I use it nearly every day.
I have a tin opener for opening cans and would never use my Letherman blade to do it.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.