Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Nuke beat me
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by C-Mag » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:35 am

Remington 700 owners - Heads up
owners of the iconic Model 700 rifle — and a dozen Remington models with similar designs — have 18 months to file claims for a free replacement of their guns’ allegedly defective triggers. The guns have been linked in lawsuits to dozens of accidental deaths and hundreds of serious injuries, though Remington still maintains they are safe.
http://www.captainsjournal.com/2018/10/ ... -is-final/
If there is any question you should have your gun checked out. I'm a big fan of Remington 700s, I own a couple and grew up shooting them. They are great firearms. In my personal experience the bulk of the real issues with this trigger occurred with their manufacturering processes in mid late 70s to the mid 80s. But again, if you have Remington 700 have it checked out.
PLATA O PLOMO

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:52 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:53 pm
I've always wanted an Enfield but the ammo is relatively scarce. I like everything about them including the aesthetics. Pawn shops frequently have them going for less than 1k. Has to be better than the mosin nagant. That is the exwife of bolt action rifles. Long barrel like your ex's memory. Hard to operate the action like your ex. Kicks like a mule etc

Makes a great spear or firewood log tho....
You should look for the M1917, the "American Enfield". It's chambered for 30.06. One of the best bolt action rifles ever made. Still in active use by the Danish Slædepatruljen Sirius up in g Greenland. The only rifle that is found reliable in that climate.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:09 am

It must be throw your weapon to the deck day.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:30 am

Hastur wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:52 am

You should look for the M1917, the "American Enfield". It's chambered for 30.06. One of the best bolt action rifles ever made. Still in active use by the Danish Slædepatruljen Sirius up in g Greenland. The only rifle that is found reliable in that climate.

Awesome guns...………. almost got my hands on several of them, missed it by this much.

My local VFW was upgrading their ceremonial firearms from 1917 Enfields to M1 Garands. I asked what they were doing with the Enfields. The commander said, we are going to sell them to members for $50. I told him I would take all that he would sell me, they had 12. He said there are 7 unspoken for. I said, I'll taken them. He said come in Thursday.

I showed up Thursday cash in hand, and they told me the Quartermaster wouldn't let them go, as it turns out, the US Army still owns them. They are officially on loan to the VFW. :evil:

So, they looked at turning them in. The paperwork was started to turn them when the VFW got panicked calls to quickly rescind the paperwork from the State Quartermaster. This was about 8 years ago. Turns out it was the policy of the Obama Administration to destroy any weapons turned in that were out on loan. So, the VFW held on to them.

They are a great firearm, actually edged out the M1903 Springfield in field tests by hair, but the Springfield was chosen basically on aesthetics. They felt the Springfield was better looking.
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:09 pm

Ever come across a plumbers nightmare Carlus?
My father trained with one in '58. Along with Bren guns and Lee Enfeilds.

I guess Dad would have used the later mk V version. He said they were originally made with gas pipes. Churned out for $10 a piece after Dunkirk when rearming the army after Dunkirk. We had used the Thompson but you couldn't make them fast enough for us.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:33 pm

No, but I have fired an M3 Grease Gun. Which was the American version of the cheap, stamped metal sub-machine gun.

The biggest takeaway was the damn thing was deceptively heavy, like around 10 pounds. Which helped with the accuracy, what little there was of that. Once you pressed the hammer it was actually hard to stop shooting. You had to consciencely think, push your finger away from the trigger. We were using them through Gulf War one with Tank Crews, I think the National Guard had them up to about 2000, hell some units may still have them. The Tankers told me they were really reliable and near indestructible. I'm sure JSOC has them in their armory.

BTW, the US Army is putting out feelers for a new Sub-Machine gun. It would be the first new one adopted by the US since WWII.
PLATA O PLOMO

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:34 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:09 pm
Ever come across a plumbers nightmare Carlus?
My father trained with one in '58. Along with Bren guns and Lee Enfeilds.

I guess Dad would have used the later mk V version. He said they were originally made with gas pipes. Churned out for $10 a piece after Dunkirk when rearming the army after Dunkirk. We had used the Thompson but you couldn't make them fast enough for us.
That gun sucks bad in COD World at War. I usually throw it away as soon as I find a gewher 43.