PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

heydaralon

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by heydaralon » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:09 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:03 am
9MM Glock ^^^^ ;)

If you don't mind me asking Carlus, what sort of guns do you have in your personal armory? Do you have any historical/ww2 firearms? My uncle has a mauser that my grandfather got from a surrendered German after WW2.
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:31 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:09 pm
C-Mag wrote:
9MM Glock ^^^^ ;)

If you don't mind me asking Carlus, what sort of guns do you have in your personal armory? Do you have any historical/ww2 firearms? My uncle has a mauser that my grandfather got from a surrendered German after WW2.
I suspect that Carlus lost all his guns in a terrible boating accident.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:58 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:31 pm
heydaralon wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
9MM Glock ^^^^ ;)

I suspect that Carlus lost all his guns in a terrible boating accident.
Were you there................ that was awful. ;)
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:16 pm

heydaralon wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
9MM Glock ^^^^ ;)

My Dad has the bulk of the military grade weapons, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1911 Colt and an older 30-40 Krag. I have an average amount of guns for my area, no giant arsenal, though I know about a half dozen people with collections over 100 guns, and I know one guy who lives in a nice modest, pretty standard 3000 sf ranch home and his entire basement is his gun vault...……….. think about that for a moment.

I have 1911 colt, a few pistols, several rifles, shotguns, bows, crossbows, a flare gun and a couple drawers filled with knives other than kitchen knives. The rifle I've killed the most game with is a 1927 Model 54 Winchester 30-06. Nothing fancy, just meat and potatoes, gets the job done every time. I love that gun, but I've more or less retired it. BTW any pre-1964 Winchester rifle in shootable condition is worth no less than $1000 to $3000.

I have a 10 Ga Shotgun I got from my Dad a few years ago because it was too heavy for him to shoulder anymore. Everyone should hunt with a 10 Ga at least once. I've hunted Turkeys with that thing about 4 times, and it's 2 birds every time you drop the hammer. The difference in stopping power between and 10 gauge and 12 ga is ridiculous. But ammo is hard to find and a little expensive.

……….. but that's before all of them were lost in the tragic boating accident

:angelic-blueglow:
PLATA O PLOMO

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:17 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:16 pm
heydaralon wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
9MM Glock ^^^^ ;)

My Dad has the bulk of the military grade weapons, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M1911 Colt and an older 30-40 Krag. I have an average amount of guns for my area, no giant arsenal, though I know about a half dozen people with collections over 100 guns, and I know one guy who lives in a nice modest, pretty standard 3000 sf ranch home and his entire basement is his gun vault...……….. think about that for a moment.

I have 1911 colt, a few pistols, several rifles, shotguns, bows, crossbows, a flare gun and a couple drawers filled with knives other than kitchen knives. The rifle I've killed the most game with is a 1927 Model 54 Winchester 30-06. Nothing fancy, just meat and potatoes, gets the job done every time. I love that gun, but I've more or less retired it. BTW any pre-1964 Winchester rifle in shootable condition is worth no less than $1000 to $3000.

I have a 10 Ga Shotgun I got from my Dad a few years ago because it was too heavy for him to shoulder anymore. Everyone should hunt with a 10 Ga at least once. I've hunted Turkeys with that thing about 4 times, and it's 2 birds every time you drop the hammer. The difference in stopping power between and 10 gauge and 12 ga is ridiculous. But ammo is hard to find and a little expensive.

……….. but that's before all of them were lost in the tragic boating accident

:angelic-blueglow:
Oh I didn't think you had an arsenal, you just strike me as the kind of guy who would be really into having some WW2 GI weapons. Is the luger used by the Germans in the war a good gun? Also, have you ever fired a BAR?
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:05 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:17 pm
Oh I didn't think you had an arsenal, you just strike me as the kind of guy who would be really into having some WW2 GI weapons. Is the luger used by the Germans in the war a good gun? Also, have you ever fired a BAR?
I really wish I did have an arsenal, and if I ever made the corporate news media for being and enemy of the state they would describe as having an arsenal, but we know they have low standards when describing facts.

The German Luger pistol. They are straight up cool. Designed in the 19th C. They were a very good gun, but really reflected the German mindset. The firing mechanism is called a toggle action, they were excellent, but very finicky. I had a neighbor who had his grandpas WWII war trophy. It wouldn't cycle most ammo. Germans loved it because it was a precision weapon that took skilled craftsmen to produce, and only operated properly with the prescribed ammo. Very German thinking. No one uses a toggle action anymore because the market went to simplicity and flexibility. So, they are good, but persnickity.

Never fired a BAR, which sucks. A friend of mine found a range that has a lot of historic weapons you can pay to shoot. I really want to do that. If Bonnie Parker can handle one I can.
PLATA O PLOMO

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:21 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:05 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:17 pm
I really wish I did have an arsenal, and if I ever made the corporate news media for being and enemy of the state they would describe as having an arsenal, but we know they have low standards when describing facts.

The German Luger pistol. They are straight up cool. Designed in the 19th C. They were a very good gun, but really reflected the German mindset. The firing mechanism is called a toggle action, they were excellent, but very finicky. I had a neighbor who had his grandpas WWII war trophy. It wouldn't cycle most ammo. Germans loved it because it was a precision weapon that took skilled craftsmen to produce, and only operated properly with the prescribed ammo. Very German thinking. No one uses a toggle action anymore because the market went to simplicity and flexibility. So, they are good, but persnickity.

Never fired a BAR, which sucks. A friend of mine found a range that has a lot of historic weapons you can pay to shoot. I really want to do that. If Bonnie Parker can handle one I can.

Lugers do look cool. I didn't realize they were finnicky. It seems like German engineered stuff is usually pretty on point. Do you know any collectors who have the Nambu pistol? It looks like a Luger. It was used by the Japanese in WW2. I think that gun looks pretty awesome too. After doing some wiki-research the Nambu type 14 was copied by the American who made the Ruger. Is the Ruger a good gun?

Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:39 pm

Don't get me wrong, if I had a chance to get a Luger cheap, I would. Especially one with Kraut markings. It will always hold it's value, and if you have the right ammo and serviceable magazines it will likely fire just fine. If I could choose only one Nazi weapon it would likely be a StG 44. The worlds first 'Assault Rifle'.

Ruger makes good stuff. You're probably better off with a Ruger than a late Jap Empire model. The Japs had some good weapons early in their empire but by mid WWII they were so crippled on raw materials due to US submarines sinking freight ships that their weapons quality suffered greatly.
PLATA O PLOMO

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Good luck finding ammo for imperial Japan era weapons. You either have to hand load casings which cost a mint or convert the gun to a more standard caliber. One thing japs had going for their guns is that you dont find anyone shooting them anywhere anymore or ever heh.