The Mess

heydaralon

Re: The Mess

Post by heydaralon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:01 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:56 pm
When Ivan paints you with his active sonar, that's called "Blocks of Wood"

Because underwater is sounds like two blocks of wood being clacked together.

When you hear that, he is in the saddle, tubes flooded and ready to rock.

So when you hear that, you run, as fast and deep as you can go.
This is a secondhand story, so I cannot vouch for the details, but my buddy was in the Navy and he said when he was travelling through the Persian gulf there was a (Russian) submarine of some kind that went beneath the carrier they were on. Does Russia launch a lot of subs out of the Black Sea? That would be in their sphere of influence right?
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:01 pm

Bear in mind, either side can sink a sub they catch in their waters.

They could just deny knowledge of it, subs are dangerous, accidents happen.

So if you hear Blocks of Wood, a torpedo could actually follow, in the Silent War.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:04 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:01 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:56 pm
When Ivan paints you with his active sonar, that's called "Blocks of Wood"

Because underwater is sounds like two blocks of wood being clacked together.

When you hear that, he is in the saddle, tubes flooded and ready to rock.

So when you hear that, you run, as fast and deep as you can go.
This is a secondhand story, so I cannot vouch for the details, but my buddy was in the Navy and he said when he was travelling through the Persian gulf there was a (Russian) submarine of some kind that went beneath the carrier they were on. Does Russia launch a lot of subs out of the Black Sea? That would be in their sphere of influence right?
Black Sea is Ivan's Lake, a flotilla of subs there, but SSK's, non nuclear, more defensive than offensive.

He sails his SSK's in the Baltic, the Black, and the Caspian.

He keeps his nuclear and strategic SSN and SSBN in the Barents at Murmansk and the Bering at Kamchatka.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:06 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:

So if you hear Blocks of Wood, a torpedo could actually follow, in the Silent War.
I read a story about a collision between French and English submarines in the English Channel back in '06 I think. Idk if they were nuclear or not. How does something like that happen? How were both subs able to remain undetected by each other in that close proximity? Aren't subs constantly sending out sonar to ensure that nothing is sneaking up on them?
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:07 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:06 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

I read a story about a collision between French and English submarines in the English Channel back in '06 I think. Idk if they were nuclear or not. How does something like that happen? How were both subs able to remain undetected by each other in that close proximity? Aren't subs constantly sending out sonar to ensure that nothing is sneaking up on them?
Water is a complex medium, that complexity of layers and temperature and salt, can be exploited to avoid detection, if two boat captains are good at it, they could run into each other, if they are at tight quarters.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:10 pm

Russian SSN, SSGN and SSBN, are titanium double hulled, so they can actually ram you.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:11 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:07 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:06 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

Water is a complex medium, that complexity of layers and temperature and salt, can be exploited to avoid detection, if two boat captains are good at it, they could run into each other, if they are at tight quarters.
Has there ever been a scenario kind of like the Hunt for Red October? I don't mean the Russian Defector aspect, but one in which 2 submarines from rival countries are launching torpedoes at one another and performing evasive actions?
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:12 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:10 pm
Russian SSN, SSGN and SSBN, are titanium double hulled, so they can actually ram you.
Jesus. The idea of getting rammed by a submarine underwater sounds terrifying for both parties.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:13 pm

Like, Ivan could go Blocks of Wood, put a torpedo under your keel, then claim it was an accidental collision.

Then you'd have to go into his bastion with a SSN 21 and Navy SEAL team to find out what happened.

But that is right in his kitchen, and he will be lying in wait for that.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:14 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:12 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:10 pm
Jesus. The idea of getting rammed by a submarine underwater sounds terrifying for both parties.
Not if you have titanium double hulls, Ivan can do it on purpose.

Only he has the titanium double hulls, that's his specialty.

So he can crush a NATO sub like a beer can, and sail away after.
Nec Aspera Terrent