The Mess

Hastur

Re: The Mess

Post by Hastur » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:07 am

Looks nice but I don't get that huge exhaust. It's like some weird Jackalope. Why build a body like that if you don't care about stealth? Do they want it to be hard to detect from the front only? That could make sense for an unmanned striker I guess.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:32 am

Hastur wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:07 am
Looks nice but I don't get that huge exhaust. It's like some weird Jackalope. Why build a body like that if you don't care about stealth? Do they want it to be hard to detect from the front only? That could make sense for an unmanned striker I guess.
That's a full-sized turbofan engine.

They are going for speed here.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:40 am

It's like they don't have the resources to build a proprietary motor for it and just slapped on one they already had that came close to spec.

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:44 am

Hastur wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:40 am
It's like they don't have the resources to build a proprietary motor for it and just slapped on one they already had that came close to spec.
Russia does have the resources to build something smaller. I don't think they were going for that here.

This thing is huge. If they wanted a stealth drone, I think they'd go a lot smaller. This is more like the size of an F-16.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 am

This guy in the comment section gets it:
High and fast and sent at AWACS and tankers. One way trip. Have the missile with dual seeker head and it really screws up the game.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:50 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 am
This guy in the comment section gets it:
High and fast and sent at AWACS and tankers. One way trip. Have the missile with dual seeker head and it really screws up the game.
Makes sense.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:54 am

Also could be used for electronic warfare. Hard to say what is in there. That thing has a lot of room to pack boxes.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:47 pm

Forget that Top Gun Squid bullshit you saw on the television. The USAF is the real deal.

https://theaviationist.com/2017/12/09/w ... -near-bear

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:26 pm

Incredible audio of bomber crew over Dresden in 1945 (night raid)

Listen to how calm these lads are under flak and fighter fire? I cannot get over how polite they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R5NI-IrUU0

It's apparrently 6 brits and an aussie in the crew. The full 10min long clip is here (includes a flak impact on front turret early on):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF5_hvE4WEA

Can you imagine being conscripted at 18 or 19 into these crews and remaining this fucking calm in a big old slow aluminum tube over Germany? It's amazing to me how far removed these men are from modern beta onions boys.

It's fucking sad lads.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:24 am

Holy moly!

How important is this? If the US gains the capacity to reliably take out ICBMs, what does it mean for the balance of power? Destabilizing or stabilizing by hegemony?
https://www.stripes.com/news/icbm-is-de ... t-1.574288

ICBM is destroyed by multiple ground salvos in missile-defense test first

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. — Salvos by multiple ground interceptors shot down an intercontinental ballistic missile during a test Monday, a “milestone” first-time achievement, the U.S. Missile Defense Agency said.

Two ground-based interceptors were used in the test, MDA said in a statement Monday. The first was used to destroy the ICBM reentry vehicle.

The second interceptor “then looked at the resulting debris and remaining objects, and, not finding any other reentry vehicles, selected the next ‘most lethal object’ it could identify, and struck that, precisely as it was designed to do,” the statement said.