The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Smitty-48

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:I could probably carry something like this without running afoul of the concealment laws. This thing is a tank.

I don't like anything in the back, I don't want to be reaching around behind me to get at anything except a water bottle or something like that, if it's a weapon, I want it in my work space, and I want that work space to be in the guard up position at all times, high and tight.

Keep your back clear of obstructions, for your rucksack and/or mounted in a vehicle. Still gotta be ready for close contact when you're sitting in the car, if you can't get at it easy in the drivers seat, it's in the wrong place.

That knife is a bit large for CQC by the way, particularly the grip. I would go with something smaller, so you can hold your knife and support your sidearm at the same time, either fixed blade like a Gerber De Facto, or if you prefer a folder, a Kershaw Emerson CQC.

Frankly, if you're gonna fight with a knife, bigger is not actually better, 4" is enough, and broad blade is not optimal, you want something more dagger like, double edged, and maybe partially serrated.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:51 pm

How does this thing work?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:I could probably carry something like this without running afoul of the concealment laws. This thing is a tank.

I don't like anything in the back, I don't want to be reaching around behind me to get at anything except a water bottle or something like that, if it's a weapon, I want it in my work space, and I want that work space to be in the guard up position at all times, high and tight.

Keep your back clear of obstructions, for your rucksack and/or mounted in a vehicle. Still gotta be ready for close contact when you're sitting in the car, if you can't get at it easy in the drivers seat, it's in the wrong place.

That knife is a bit large for CQC by the way, particularly the grip. I would go with something smaller, so you can hold your knife and support your sidearm at the same time, either fixed blade like a Gerber De Facto, or if you prefer a folder, a Kershaw Emerson CQC.

Frankly, if you're gonna fight with a knife, bigger is not actually better, 4" is enough, and broad blade is not optimal, you want something more dagger like, double edged, and maybe partially serrated.
What do you think of that Gerber auto that carlus posted about a while back? What's the advantage and or drawback compared to a fixed knife?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:17 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:What do you think of that Gerber auto that carlus posted about a while back? What's the advantage and or drawback compared to a fixed knife?
I'd say it just comes down to personal preference and the application, for a pocket knife street carry, I'd probably go with the auto, for a combat knife on your fighting order, I'd go with a fixed dagger style.

For a combat knife, my right hand is holding the rifle, so I'd want to be able to just pull the knife with my left hand in one fluid motion, for a pocket knife it may not be so relevant.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:21 pm

Kind of what I was thinking. My pocket space is a premium with my new job as a foreman.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:25 pm

For a point blank close contact, bang-breach-clear, tackled as you come through the door kind of thing, I'd want to be able to just pull my knife with the free hand, ice pick grip and stab it into the throat and/or eye socket, that's why I like the fixed dagger style high and tight on the fighting order.

My mindset is that one hand is always holding the firearm, so the free hand move has to be one handed and fluid, pull and strike immediate action.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:39 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:For a point blank close contact, bang-breach-clear, tackled as you come through the door kind of thing, I'd want to be able to just pull my knife with the free hand, ice pick grip and stab it into the throat and/or eye socket, that's why I like the fixed dagger style high and tight on the fighting order.
Can you explain how that holster works that I posted above? I lug around a full size auto in my bag but I want something I can carry on me within reach. I'm thinking I would stick to 9mm or maybe a snubby 38

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:50 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:For a point blank close contact, bang-breach-clear, tackled as you come through the door kind of thing, I'd want to be able to just pull my knife with the free hand, ice pick grip and stab it into the throat and/or eye socket, that's why I like the fixed dagger style high and tight on the fighting order.
Can you explain how that holster works that I posted above? I lug around a full size auto in my bag but I want something I can carry on me within reach. I'm thinking I would stick to 9mm or maybe a snubby 38
I'm not familiar with that holster, the only holster I've ever used with a Glock was the Triton Kydex IWB.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:54 pm

Yeah. I got to go to a gun show and get red pilled on what to carry and how.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:57 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Yeah. I got to go to a gun show and get red pilled on what to carry and how.
Really comes down to what you're comfortable with, but something like the Triton Kydex IWB fits inside your pants behind the belt for hip carry, that's probably how I would go.
Nec Aspera Terrent