The Mess

Montegriffo

Re: The Mess

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:24 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Technically, Mounted Rifles, or Carabiniers, is a type of Cavalry; that's called a Dragoon.
So you don't technically need to fight from the saddle to be a type of cavalry?
Were mounted longbow archers cavalry in that case?
Indeed, cavalry need not fight from the saddle at all times, and indeed, horse archers are cavalry, the Mongols being the most infamous therein.
I made the distinction of longbow archers because they never fired from the saddle due to their bows being ......too long. I am trying to discern whether there is a distinction between mounted infantry and cavalry.
I am presuming the Afrikans SSU mentioned didn't fight from the saddle.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Indeed, cavalry need not fight from the saddle at all times, and indeed, horse archers are cavalry, the Mongols being the most infamous therein.
I made the distinction of longbow archers because they never fired from the saddle due to their bows being ......too long. I am trying to discern whether there is a distinction between mounted infantry and cavalry.
Well, you're getting into reductio ad absurdum, but cavalry is from the Italian "Cavallerria" which means "Mounted Militia", from the word "Cavallo" which simply means "Horse", so there's nothing mandating anything other than a military formation which ride horses, within the definition of Cavalry, industrial cavalry simply mounted on Iron Horses, nothing imposing what weapons they must use nor that they must fight mounted at all times therein.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:38 pm

Ok, thanks.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Now, there is such a thing Horse Artillery which is Artillery not Cavalry, but that is because, whether gun carriage or self propelled howitzer, the Horse Artillery does not technically ride the horses, so much as the horses tow the guns and limbers with the Gunners riding on the carriage; towed by a horse does not a horsesoldier make.
Nec Aspera Terrent

ssu

Post by ssu » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Well, if you spot the enemy while mounted...
Image Image

If we speak of 20th Century cavalry, I guess a lot of "Cavalry" units are basically dragoons type of units, basically mounted infantry. Yet they can do a charge, if it's convenient. But naturally the "only cold weapons -cavalry" that basically do not fight unmounted doesn't exist. Even the Polish Uhlans did have rifles in 1939, even if they carried still lances.

And note in Afghanistan cavalry has been used: Even Donald Rumsfeld was enthusiastic of the Cavalry attack against Mazar-E-Sharif. I think also in the war in Darfur / Sudan cavalry units have been used.

(A smiling USAF Combat controller, Master Sergeant Bart Decker mounted in Afghanistan 2001)

A quote about Afghan cavalry tactics this Milennium:
Doug Stanton describes a cavalry attack supported by U.S. Special Forces (pages 152-155). Two lines of 150 men each formed up behind a hill about a mile from the Taliban trenches. The horsemen carried an assortment of weapons including AK 47s and RPGs (rocket propelled grenades). There were about seven ridges between the Afghan (Northern Alliance) cavalry and the Taliban position. Each ridge was about 50 feet high, with about 200 yards of ground between each. "As they rode, the horsemen continued rising up and down the hills, appearing and disappearing."

At about a half mile range the Taliban, very much aware of the Afghan presence, began firing with machine guns and tanks at the thin first line of horsemen. As Stanton relates, "Men would be riding in the saddle and then suddenly fly backward as if yanked and tumble to the ground and lie motionless as more horses approched from behind and leaped over them, charging toward the firing line." The horsemen were riding as fast as they could, with their reins in their teeth toward the enemy as if their safety lay in direct confrontation with the enemy. They were aided by the waves of the ridges which made it difficult for the guns, especially on the tanks, to take accurate aim.

At the last ridge before the Taliban position, the Afghans jumped from their horses, placed the horse's reins on the ground and placed one foot on top of them to keep the horses from flying. They then unleashed a furious fire on the trench. Meanwhile the U.S. special forces who were present called down smart bombs on the tanks. As the first line of cavalry fired, the second line caught up and "blew past, shouting, galloping straight at the Taliban line. The standing fighters swung back into their saddles and beat their horses to catch up." The two lines now formed one single attack. The Taliban line crumbled. Many of the Taliban threw down their weapons and ran.

But at the last minute, U.S. airpower (because of low fuel) had to return to base and more Taliban tanks came to the scene. After taking the entrenched position, the Afghan cavalry was forced to retreat. Even so, this tactic, combining smart bombs with cavalry assault, would prove highly effective as the U.S. special forces became more adept at bringing the bombs to bear. Later, U.S. Special Forces would on one occasion even join in a charge itself.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:21 pm

All Cavalry is mounted infantry in the end, that is what Cavalleria means, the mounted militia are the infantry who ride horses, until such time as they are forced to dismount to reach the objective and/or have the horses shot out from under them.

There is a tendency of the comtemporary Cavalryman to sometimes invoke himself as a kind of mounted Knight, but that's not actually the lineage, there was no such thing as an "Enlisted" Knight, Knights were Officers all, Leftentants to the King, by definition, Cavalleria were a Mounted Militia which came later.
Nec Aspera Terrent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:24 pm

Yeah, it seems to just mean "not walking on foot"

So far as I can tell, the definition is meaningless.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:58 pm

Air Cavalry simply performs the mission of the Cavalry with rotorwing horses, to wit, helicopters, the Cavalry in the American context, is the screening force for the Corps, the Air Cavalry is the screening force for the Corps, by Air-Land Battle doctrine.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:02 pm

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:11 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Yeah, it seems to just mean "not walking on foot"

So far as I can tell, the definition is meaningless.
Putting a cook in a humvee to get from one mess to another does not make him cavalry.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751