The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Otern

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Otern » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:25 am

C-Mag wrote: It's typical for German Mauser bolts and recievers to have different serial numbers. The practice in WWII by the Allies was that when Germans were captured and turning in weapons they were put in a line and told to remove the bolts from their rifles, then walked forward. The rifle was dropped in a pile with one hand, the bolt was dropped in a pile on the opposite side.

If you ever find a German Mauser with a matching bolt and receiver, you've got a very valuable weapon.
Seems plausible that this is what happened. Kind of like the mismatched serial numbers though. Now there's twice as much history to the weapon, even though it has no particular collector's value.

My other mauser has matching bolt and receiver though, it's been converted to 30-06, for use by the home guard, but the receiver and bolt is still unchanged. It's rare for the home guard mausers to have matching bolts and receivers, so it was probably common practice here on liberation day too.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:11 am

Otern wrote:
C-Mag wrote: It's typical for German Mauser bolts and recievers to have different serial numbers. The practice in WWII by the Allies was that when Germans were captured and turning in weapons they were put in a line and told to remove the bolts from their rifles, then walked forward. The rifle was dropped in a pile with one hand, the bolt was dropped in a pile on the opposite side.

If you ever find a German Mauser with a matching bolt and receiver, you've got a very valuable weapon.
Seems plausible that this is what happened. Kind of like the mismatched serial numbers though. Now there's twice as much history to the weapon, even though it has no particular collector's value.

My other mauser has matching bolt and receiver though, it's been converted to 30-06, for use by the home guard, but the receiver and bolt is still unchanged. It's rare for the home guard mausers to have matching bolts and receivers, so it was probably common practice here on liberation day too.
I've only seen one matching numbers German Mauser, a great story behind it. It was one of the shorter barreled models, made in 38 I believe. My friends dad took it off a German who was in a temporary holding pen. He had it under his trench coat and got it past initial shakedown of POWs. So he boxed it up and sent it home. Later it was sporterized, but the rest is original.

Its cool there is still some availability of WWII weapons over there.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:11 am

C-Mag wrote:RESISTENCE

MAGPUL Hands Out Free PMAGs in Vermont Ahead of Magazine Capacity Limit Law

MAGPUL, with help from RECOIL Magazine, saw an opportunity to duplicate the success of the “Boulder Airlift” they mounted in Colorado after a similar law was passed there. The Vermont magazine give-away, dubbed the Green Mountain Airlift, distributed 1200 30-round PMAGs to pro-gun rights protesters yesterday.

Vermont? Those virtue signaling commie bitches.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:32 am

clubgop wrote:

MAGPUL, with help from RECOIL Magazine, saw an opportunity to duplicate the success of the “Boulder Airlift” they mounted in Colorado after a similar law was passed there. The Vermont magazine give-away, dubbed the Green Mountain Airlift, distributed 1200 30-round PMAGs to pro-gun rights protesters yesterday.

Well, you can bet there are a lot of good Green Mountain Boys trapped behind enemy lines. Just like California, a lot of good people, just terribly outnumbered by the SJWs.
PLATA O PLOMO

Otern

Post by Otern » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:32 am

C-Mag wrote: I've only seen one matching numbers German Mauser, a great story behind it. It was one of the shorter barreled models, made in 38 I believe. My friends dad took it off a German who was in a temporary holding pen. He had it under his trench coat and got it past initial shakedown of POWs. So he boxed it up and sent it home. Later it was sporterized, but the rest is original.

If it's shorter than the K98k, maybe it's the Czech version? Gebirgsjägerkarabiners are rare as hell, so your friend is lucky to have one of them.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:49 am

C-Mag wrote:
clubgop wrote:

Well, you can bet there are a lot of good Green Mountain Boys trapped behind enemy lines. Just like California, a lot of good people, just terribly outnumbered by the SJWs.
No, not like California. You can open carry a gun in that state without a permit. They have the loosest laws in the country and the crime problem is 0. Why the bullshit now?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:46 am

Otern wrote:
C-Mag wrote: I've only seen one matching numbers German Mauser, a great story behind it. It was one of the shorter barreled models, made in 38 I believe. My friends dad took it off a German who was in a temporary holding pen. He had it under his trench coat and got it past initial shakedown of POWs. So he boxed it up and sent it home. Later it was sporterized, but the rest is original.

If it's shorter than the K98k, maybe it's the Czech version? Gebirgsjägerkarabiners are rare as hell, so your friend is lucky to have one of them.

I've encouraged him to restore it to original by getting an orginal stock, which would be hard to find in itself. But his dad did the mods to the stock, so he likes it as is. Which I understand.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:50 am

clubgop wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
No, not like California. You can open carry a gun in that state without a permit. They have the loosest laws in the country and the crime problem is 0. Why the bullshit now?
Liberty requires constant vigilance. There is always someone who fears your Freedom.

Ya know, W got roasted when he said the Terrorist hated us for our Freedom, that was actually a pretty deep statement the Left could not comprehend.
PLATA O PLOMO

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:00 am

C-Mag wrote:
clubgop wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Liberty requires constant vigilance. There is always someone who fears your Freedom.

Ya know, W got roasted when he said the Terrorist hated us for our Freedom, that was actually a pretty deep statement the Left could not comprehend.
Well it is all bullshit virtue signaling, they won't enforce it and they know it.

Oh they comprehend, they comprehend plenty it is why they hated it so much.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:02 am

One gun I wish were legal ... the sawed-off shotgun/scattergun/room sweeper. If I could cut the total length of a shotgun down to 16” or less and have a tiny 5-shell drum on it that thing would be my go-to home defense weapon. Fill it with something between bird shot and double ott (maybe a #7 or #8 shell) and call it a day.

Enough power to send a cone of death in the direction of home invaders, not enough power to kill through drywall at a distance.

Family is safe from missed shots, and hitting assailants is easier because of the spread.

Damn, I wish those were legal.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"