Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Speaker to Animals

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:56 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:A lot about how you carry yourself, what you wear, how you act and speak, etc., sends signals that people will process in order to ascertain the probability that you have a firearm.

If a dude pulls up in a Jeep Wrangler with his Army decal on the back, he's got a III percenter hat on, is fairly well built (likely trains), then a criminal is probably going make the risk assessment that he is much more likely to be carrying than the guy who pulls up in his Prius with Feel the Bern stickers on the back, wearing Linda's Organic Burritos, San Francisco t-shirt, sandals, and a nose ring.

This really should not need explaining to an adult.
Nobody is confused about that. But if you care to address the actual point that was made - 'criminals will pass over your house if you have a gun'.....?

I don't have Bernie stickers on my car or house.

Still should not require any explanation, but here it goes:

House #1 -- Hillary poster on the front yard. Minivan with a "Coexist" decal parked in the driveway.

House #2 --- Trump poster on the front yard. Ford F150 with some veteran decals parked in the driveway.

If you had to rank those two houses by the odds the people living there are armed, which one comes out on top?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:59 am

C-Mag wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:A lot about how you carry yourself, what you wear, how you act and speak, etc., sends signals that people will process in order to ascertain the probability that you have a firearm.

If a dude pulls up in a Jeep Wrangler with his Army decal on the back, he's got a III percenter hat on, is fairly well built (likely trains), then a criminal is probably going make the risk assessment that he is much more likely to be carrying than the guy who pulls up in his Prius with Feel the Bern stickers on the back, wearing Linda's Organic Burritos, San Francisco t-shirt, sandals, and a nose ring.

This really should not need explaining to an adult.
You need to look at the other side of that too.
When you park your jeep, you announce to the world there are guns in there if you want to steal them. Also, if you say live in the PRP and happen into an AntiFa terrorist riot, your suddenly going to be a huge target.

I don't have any gun, or military stickers on my vehicles, never been a bumper sticker guy. Do have Veteran vehicle tags, which generally signals to LEOs more than anyone else, I'm a likely ally.

I agree with the gray man mentality. I was making a point to GCF that appearances and what you signal to people matters.

The veterans tags actually make you more likely to get pulled over if you are actually speeding, but unlikely to get pulled over just to shake you down for money when it's not really that important. Best ticket prevention is to be a pretty female who acts stupid and flirts.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:59 am

Firearms Training Minimums to be fairly proficient

2 ~ 5 - 15 minute sessions a week of doing dry run weapon drills, grabbing your weapon, load-reload, bring your weapon up, move

2 ~ Times, Go to a range and shoot every quarter, 20 rounds with your primary weapon is a good start

2 ~ Times per year, really try to get to a regular training with professionals. This is the most demanding, but once you get to know folks in the gun culture, someone will bring you along to shoot for a day or two and you will learn new stuff............ but the main thing is gaining extreme familiarity with your weapon and engaging targets.

Note- A former Soldiers or LEO that used weapons daily for 25 years probably don't need this as much, because it's all muscle memory for them. But for the rest of us, simple training really builds skills.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:04 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
I agree with the gray man mentality. I was making a point to GCF that appearances and what you signal to people matters.

The veterans tags actually make you more likely to get pulled over if you are actually speeding, but unlikely to get pulled over just to shake you down for money when it's not really that important. Best ticket prevention is to be a pretty female who acts stupid and flirts.
Yeah, I have a daughter that couldn't buy a ticket if she wanted to.

Appearances are huge. That article BroGrump posted about the Bosnian Civil War talked about that. I met a guy that was a NYC fireman, and Army Reserve Officer, he had a rusted out crap commuter car, never even locked it, no one ever screwed with it or thought to check the for valuables in the trunk.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:06 am

There's some other simple home defense things that get missed all the time.

Fence
Dog
Lights
Secure Doors

Be a hard target
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 pm

From the Era of Trump
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Turns out that dumping an extra trillion into the bond market, while the Fed is trying to unload 10x that amount, and raise rates, at the end of a business cycle isn’t a good idea for bond yields or your currency. Who knew? :lol:

Not even joking, if you really believe what you say here. You need to immediately beef up your home security.
I really do believe it, and I really am planning to. This weekend.

As I've been saying, I don't think we go mad max - we could still get away with a Depression, but it won't be pretty. I'd imagine some sort of martial law gets declared in the cities, but no idea what happens in the burbs.
I know your uncertain on firearms, that's cool. But look hard at property security, Fence, gate, doors into the house.

You know, I did a threat assessment after Sandy Hook for a local school, and I didn't recommend guns for everyone to the school board. What I did recommend is a lot of non-lethal stuff. I'll post some of that here for you.
PLATA O PLOMO

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:50 pm

When it comes to human ingenuity, mouse traps are a fav.

https://www.youtube.com/user/historichunter/videos

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:10 pm

de officiis wrote:When it comes to human ingenuity, mouse traps are a fav.

I love the one with the pistol :lol:
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:10 pm

C-Mag wrote:From the Era of Trump
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote:

Not even joking, if you really believe what you say here. You need to immediately beef up your home security.
I really do believe it, and I really am planning to. This weekend.

As I've been saying, I don't think we go mad max - we could still get away with a Depression, but it won't be pretty. I'd imagine some sort of martial law gets declared in the cities, but no idea what happens in the burbs.
I know your uncertain on firearms, that's cool. But look hard at property security, Fence, gate, doors into the house.

You know, I did a threat assessment after Sandy Hook for a local school, and I didn't recommend guns for everyone to the school board. What I did recommend is a lot of non-lethal stuff. I'll post some of that here for you.
Looking forward to this, when you have the time.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:39 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
de officiis wrote:When it comes to human ingenuity, mouse traps are a fav.

I love the one with the pistol :lol:
Truly overkill. The most effective ones are those involving buckets of water with teetering platforms.