Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:03 am

C-Mag wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
It doesn’t change anything, but it does remind me that I need to get a gun at some point. I’ve been thinking about it, and how to secure it. I still don’t know that it would even be useful unless I’m going to stand guard all night, or keep it by my bed somehow.

Most criminals are going to pass on you if you just have a gun, they will go on to easier targets. Just get a shotgun, plenty of good gun locks. My home defense shotguns first round is rubber pellets. Followed by a progression up to heavier loads. In my mind this does several things.

Maybe I don't have to kill anybody, even if I need to shoot them. If it's a less experienced person in my family, say my wife, she knows that first round is rubber ball. She can shoot that without having to go through the mental gymnastics of killing someone. Last, when Johnny Law comes by, I can prove my intent was to defend my castle, not kill anyone.
Couple of things:

- How does anyone know that I have a gun until I point it at them?
- How much time is it going to take me to hear the intruder, get out of bed, unlock/load my gun, go downstairs, find them?
- Odds of the noise being my kids, or the cat
- Odds of the kids getting ahold of it somehow
- Odds of ever sleeping soundly again
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:33 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Couple of things:

I want to stay in reality, Bosnia level WROL is extremely rare. So that means you need to protect yourself legally as well as protecting your family physically. So, you need to call out in a loud clear voice you are armed and will shoot to defend yourself.

- How much time is it going to take me to hear the intruder, get out of bed, unlock/load my gun, go downstairs, find them?
You need to plan and train to defend your family. I don't know how long it takes for you. I will guarantee you if you plan your defense and train for it you will cut your time down to one half to one third by training.
Your gun can have rounds in the magazine, and be locked with a biometric lock that takes your hand or a simple combination of numbers, pretty fast.

Why go downstairs and find them. Hold at the choke point at the stairs. If they want to rummage your lower house, sucks but oh well. Goal is to protect yourself and your family die at the hands of drug addicts.

Gotta see your target before you squeeze the trigger. A buddy of mine snuck back in very late in high school and when a light came on in the hallway to his surprise his old man had a 357 pointed at his head, but the old man was smart enough to turn on the light rather than start shooting.

You need to educate and train your kids about guns. The reason kids screw with guns is curiosity. So you need to take that away by educating them and having solid rules. Make sure they can't bypass your gun lock.

How do you sleep now? You're more likely to die in a house fire. Plan and train for it.

IMHO, you need to get over your fear of firearms and get comfortable with firearms first.

PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

K@th

Post by K@th » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:38 am

At some point, Nerd and I are going to break down and get the training. We don't really want to - not that we are against guns or the 2nd, but it's just not our thing.

We recognize that, at a minimum, we should at least know how and have at least one gun.

I've only shot a gun once. It was interesting, but nothing that made me go, "Ahhh, must do this more." The cop who let me fire his gun stood behind me in case I fell, but I did good, my arms only kicked back a little bit.

I shot into Lake Michigan, while smelt fishing in the wee hours of the morning. Good memory.
Account abandoned.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:39 am

A lot about how you carry yourself, what you wear, how you act and speak, etc., sends signals that people will process in order to ascertain the probability that you have a firearm.

If a dude pulls up in a Jeep Wrangler with his Army decal on the back, he's got a III percenter hat on, is fairly well built (likely trains), then a criminal is probably going make the risk assessment that he is much more likely to be carrying than the guy who pulls up in his Prius with Feel the Bern stickers on the back, wearing Linda's Organic Burritos, San Francisco t-shirt, sandals, and a nose ring.

This really should not need explaining to an adult.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:43 am

Get a Gun Bed. :)

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:46 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:A lot about how you carry yourself, what you wear, how you act and speak, etc., sends signals that people will process in order to ascertain the probability that you have a firearm.

If a dude pulls up in a Jeep Wrangler with his Army decal on the back, he's got a III percenter hat on, is fairly well built (likely trains), then a criminal is probably going make the risk assessment that he is much more likely to be carrying than the guy who pulls up in his Prius with Feel the Bern stickers on the back, wearing Linda's Organic Burritos, San Francisco t-shirt, sandals, and a nose ring.

Nobody is confused about that. But if you care to address the actual point that was made - 'criminals will pass over your house if you have a gun'.....?

I don't have Bernie stickers on my car or house.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:47 am

Hastur wrote:Get a Gun Bed. :)

Pretty Cool.
Lot's of cool stuff like this being invented by gun nuts.
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:50 am

C-Mag wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Couple of things:

I want to stay in reality, Bosnia level WROL is extremely rare. So that means you need to protect yourself legally as well as protecting your family physically. So, you need to call out in a loud clear voice you are armed and will shoot to defend yourself.
Can do that without a gun. :) But I do want to make the loud cycling shotgun noise if needed.
You need to plan and train to defend your family. I don't know how long it takes for you. I will guarantee you if you plan your defense and train for it you will cut your time down to one half to one third by training.
Your gun can have rounds in the magazine, and be locked with a biometric lock that takes your hand or a simple combination of numbers, pretty fast.

Why go downstairs and find them. Hold at the choke point at the stairs. If they want to rummage your lower house, sucks but oh well. Goal is to protect yourself and your family die at the hands of drug addicts.
3 kids live downstairs. Something I've never been completely comfortable with, but no choice.
Gotta see your target before you squeeze the trigger. A buddy of mine snuck back in very late in high school and when a light came on in the hallway to his surprise his old man had a 357 pointed at his head, but the old man was smart enough to turn on the light rather than start shooting.

You need to educate and train your kids about guns. The reason kids screw with guns is curiosity. So you need to take that away by educating them and having solid rules. Make sure they can't bypass your gun lock.

How do you sleep now? You're more likely to die in a house fire. Plan and train for it.

IMHO, you need to get over your fear of firearms and get comfortable with firearms first.

You're not wrong.
Last edited by SuburbanFarmer on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:50 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:A lot about how you carry yourself, what you wear, how you act and speak, etc., sends signals that people will process in order to ascertain the probability that you have a firearm.

You need to look at the other side of that too.
When you park your jeep, you announce to the world there are guns in there if you want to steal them. Also, if you say live in the PRP and happen into an AntiFa terrorist riot, your suddenly going to be a huge target.

I don't have any gun, or military stickers on my vehicles, never been a bumper sticker guy. Do have Veteran vehicle tags, which generally signals to LEOs more than anyone else, I'm a likely ally.
PLATA O PLOMO

K@th

Post by K@th » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:56 am

Survival Life

We Need 33 People To Test New Tactical Gear and Keep It FREE :)
Get Instant Notification of New FREE Gear Offers Click Below

https://survivallife.familyprotectionas ... opup=false
Account abandoned.