Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Preparing for Uncertainty and Self Reliance

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:

How long will the sauce last after canning?

You should buy a shit ton of pasta in vacuum sealed containers. When SHTF, it's time to carb the fuck up.
Forever, probably. Once it’s done, it’s an anearobic environment with high acidity, so nothing can grow. Should last until the glass fails or something.

I can make my own pasta, once I get the hang of wheat milling.

You should get a pasta machine. They are cheap and will last forever. I can make pretty good pasta, but I never did it from flour I milled myself from wheat.

If you want that as a prepping option, you're going to need some hens to produce lots of eggs. About 1-2 eggs per 1 cups of flour I think it was last I did it (it's been a while).

If you grow some herbs, garlic, tomatoes, and onions, you'd have some good pasta meals in the worst of times. It might be really hard to make the flour right, though. To do it right, you have to make semolina flour. All I know is that it comes from the course part of the wheat.

Making a spaghetti dinner from scratch using ingredients you grew/hatched yourself would be awesome, though.
That’s the plan. I can’t have chickens until I move to the country, but I’m working on the wheat now, and we get our eggs from a family friend most of the time.

The herbs are all homegrown, and I planted a ton of garlic a few weeks ago. Should be able to do that by next year.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:23 pm

Nukedog wrote:
C-Mag wrote:Civilian Volunteer Ham Operators providing all Communication in and out of Puerto Rico
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/27/us/puerto ... tors-trnd/
Man I want to get into HAM radio.
Look for a local group. Often you can get free training. And you can pick up a small handheld for under $75
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:53 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Time to make some sauce. :)

6EC47082-B9D2-4677-922C-E9C73FB580C6.jpeg

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:14 pm

Penner wrote:

I don't use a food processor. I just cook the maters until they are soft, then use the immersion blender. Very neat and tidy way to do it. I also learned a trick from Mom, put in a few Tomato leaves. Adds to the flavor.
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:30 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Penner wrote:

I don't use a food processor. I just cook the maters until they are soft, then use the immersion blender. Very neat and tidy way to do it. I also learned a trick from Mom, put in a few Tomato leaves. Adds to the flavor.
Million ways to skin a cat, on this one.

Stuck frozen tomatoes in hot water and popped the skins off (just squeeze softly), popped it into a canning pot with roasted garlic, onions, and bell peppers (30 minutes w/some olive oil), added salt, pepper, and a handful of fresh basil and oregano (minced), then simmered all day. At the moment, it’s spending the night in the oven @ 200. By morning, it’ll be cooked down and ready for a dash of wine and canning.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:47 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Million ways to skin a cat, on this one.

Stuck frozen tomatoes in hot water and popped the skins off (just squeeze softly), popped it into a canning pot with roasted garlic, onions, and bell peppers (30 minutes w/some olive oil), added salt, pepper, and a handful of fresh basil and oregano (minced), then simmered all day. At the moment, it’s spending the night in the oven @ 200. By morning, it’ll be cooked down and ready for a dash of wine and canning.
Nice work BroGrump.
I didn't get a maters planted this year, so I'm doing without.
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:31 am

:LOL: We are so fucked...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-1 ... ures-hamme
As wall street analysts celebrate the coming of age of the millennial generation, a group of young people who were supposed to lead another revolutionary wave of consumerism if only they could work long enough to escape their parents' basement, retailers like Home Depot are panicked about selling into what will soon be America's largest demographic...but not for the reasons you might think.

While avocado resellers like Whole Foods only have to worry about creating a catchy advertising campaign to attract millennials, Home Depot is in full-on panic mode after realizing that an entire generation of Americans have absolutely no clue how to use their products. As the Wall Street Journal points out, the company has been forced to spend millions to create video tutorials and host in-store classes on how to do everything from using a tape measure to mopping a floor and hammering a nail.

Home Depot's VP of marketing admits she was originally hesitant because she thought some of their videos might be a bit too "condescending" but she quickly learned they were very necessary for our pampered millennials.

Meanwhile, Scotts Miracle-Gro has been forced to start training classes to remind frustrated millennials, who can't seem to keep their flowers alive, that plants need sunlight to grow (apparently not a single millennial ever took biology in grade school). Commenting on the tutorials, a defeated VP of Corporate Affairs, Jim King, admitted "these are simple things we wouldn’t have really thought to do or needed to do 15 to 20 years ago"

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:01 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote::LOL: We are so fucked...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-1 ... ures-hamme
As wall street analysts celebrate the coming of age of the millennial generation, a group of young people who were supposed to lead another revolutionary wave of consumerism if only they could work long enough to escape their parents' basement, retailers like Home Depot are panicked about selling into what will soon be America's largest demographic...but not for the reasons you might think.

While avocado resellers like Whole Foods only have to worry about creating a catchy advertising campaign to attract millennials, Home Depot is in full-on panic mode after realizing that an entire generation of Americans have absolutely no clue how to use their products. As the Wall Street Journal points out, the company has been forced to spend millions to create video tutorials and host in-store classes on how to do everything from using a tape measure to mopping a floor and hammering a nail.

Home Depot's VP of marketing admits she was originally hesitant because she thought some of their videos might be a bit too "condescending" but she quickly learned they were very necessary for our pampered millennials.

Meanwhile, Scotts Miracle-Gro has been forced to start training classes to remind frustrated millennials, who can't seem to keep their flowers alive, that plants need sunlight to grow (apparently not a single millennial ever took biology in grade school). Commenting on the tutorials, a defeated VP of Corporate Affairs, Jim King, admitted "these are simple things we wouldn’t have really thought to do or needed to do 15 to 20 years ago"

:? That's scary.

I've got to find that Adam Carolla piece where he is talking about how society is dividing between all these people who live there lives being entertained, gaming, facebooking. Then this other group who are doers, they are fixing there cars, building things, voluntarily working out and taking on physical challenges.
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:09 am

It’s a false dichotomy. I love video games and shitposting on here. It’s just a matter of finding balance between the two.

Somehow, the initial reaction is always a clear binary, Us v Them.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:18 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:It’s a false dichotomy. I love video games and shitposting on here. It’s just a matter of finding balance between the two.

Somehow, the initial reaction is always a clear binary, Us v Them.
I don't know. I view it a little different. Sure there are folks like you and I who shit post here and raise our own food, etc. But discussing current events and history here, even the shitposting is a lot different than living on snap chat and Instagram and waiting for the next iPhone to come out.
PLATA O PLOMO