The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

K@th

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by K@th » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:29 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:There's no "real" or "fake", you could go to Sanaa in Yemen and buy a Jambiya in the market straight from the horses mouth, and they're all Made in China.
Daralon is pretty much trolling for the lulz. He doesn't even pretend to want to be taken seriously.
Account abandoned.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:34 pm

Kath wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:There's no "real" or "fake", you could go to Sanaa in Yemen and buy a Jambiya in the market straight from the horses mouth, and they're all Made in China.
Daralon is pretty much trolling for the lulz. He doesn't even pretend to want to be taken seriously.
I know, just sayin, whether Kirpan or Jambiya, they don't care where it's made, it's not about the knife, it's all about who is carrying it.

If it's "fake", it's fake because you are neither Sikh nor Arabian tribesman, the knife itself is just an ornament, it's not a fighting knife.

If you want an Indo-Persian fighting knife; Karambit.

Whether in the ME, SA, or SEA, it all came from the Persians in the end; Persia to Arabia and India, and from there to Indo-Malaya.

Indo-Persia; one big empire from East Africa to Southeast Asia, it's all interelated. The Kirpan and the Jambiya are "cousins", the Sikhs, a breakaway sect, so, same knife, different warrior caste.

Guru Nanak, a Hindu in India in the 15th century; he sought peace between the Hindus and the Muslims so he promoted a third way, his followers are the Sikhs, it's all interconnected through the Bhatki movement which swept across India in the 8th century, which encompassed both Hindu's and Muslims.

Sikhs are basically monotheistic Hindus, so they worship One God like the Muslims do, but they say that God is "unknowable", "Ik Onkar"; One Pervading Spirit, so it's kind of a mish mash of Hinduism and Islam, Islam minus Allah as it were, to wit, One God, but no Koran as an instruction manual to go with it, the instructions come from Bhatki.
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:37 pm

Sikh's are pretty interesting. I just did some work with an Indian man and we ended up talking about Sikh's. He said the Sikh's in India are so well trusted that there testimony in court is given extra weight.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Good soldiers them Sikhs, the central tenets of Sikhism being; to serve, fearlessly. The Lions of the Jewel in the Crown.
Nec Aspera Terrent

K@th

Post by K@th » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:39 pm

Any tips on cleaning this thing up? It may look nice hanging up in the dungeon. I have a mace in there, but I'm willing to add extra implements of torture.
Account abandoned.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Typically with old stuff like this, just lightly oil. If it has any historic value you don't want to really clean it or remove rust. Just lightly oil to stop future oxidation. That way you maintain the patina.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:48 pm

Kath wrote:Any tips on cleaning this thing up? It may look nice hanging up in the dungeon. I have a mace in there, but I'm willing to add extra implements of torture.
Same as an old school rifle; steel wool and gun oil.
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:11 pm

Mineral oil, the best thing to use on a knife that can rust. Don't use any abrasive on it if it's an antique it's still antique, any changes in it would devalue whatever it may be worth...

Mineral oil is also good for wood cutting boards too, so it's a win/win.
#NotOneRedCent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:19 pm

The real ones have the signature of the Great Bambino and have a certificate of authenticity. Any knife dealer worth his salt will tell you as mich
Shikata ga nai

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:32 am

Looking forward to seeing how he built that thing.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck