The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Okeefenokee

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:33 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
C-Mag wrote:In wars it all depends when you are there. If you are on the initial push it's wide open, an Anarchists wet dream. Open conex full of weapons, ammo, demo, whatever you want........ go later, and the start ratcheting down on stuff.
That's not even war, that's anything in the military, could be peacekeeping, could be exercise, could be weapons testing, first on the ground, and it's max relax and just getter done, until that is, an HQ shows up and the whistleheads take over.

Headquarters ruins all the fun, no matter what you're doing in the military.
In the early days, we woke up and lit up our smokes where we lay. Sauntered over a few paces and pissed in a ditch. Once the area was secure enough for the brass to move in, shit got retarded. In the face of daily rocket attacks, we were holding formations to listen to speeches from Generals who were just passing through.

On the auspices of hearts and minds and supporting our Iraqi allies, we left the FOB and started living outside the wire, waking up to see Iranian armored units across the way, just so we didn't have to deal with horseshit garrison conditions the brass was implementing. They'd send out Predators, and we'd ask them what they could tell us about the weapon smugglers we were watching, but they didn't know, because they were only there to see if we were following our TTPs.

Picture yourself in a debriefing following an engagement where a shipment of rockets you're getting ready to intercept instead turns into a hailstorm of bullets from every direction because both Iraqi and Iranian border forces are one the scene, and higher is telling you to stay out of it, and the leading question is whether or not your soldiers were wearing the proper gloves, or if they took them off because it was hot.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:41 pm

Hence why going to war is nothing to get excited about, same old same old on the bus off the bus, except now you could get killed for it.
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:42 pm

Brass is truly fucked. This why anymore when the press tell how great Petraeus or Mattis or McMaster is, I'm skeptical.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Imagine if you had actually died, or got maimed, for that same old same old whistlehead chickenshit? Yeesh, cruel fate.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:00 pm

C-Mag wrote:Brass is truly fucked. This why anymore when the press tell how great Petraeus or Mattis or McMaster is, I'm skeptical.
Your senior officers sure are full of themselves, the American General would give us a pep talk, we're all on parade right out of the field, he arrives in a helicopter, they put up a podium, and then he would go on and on for 45 minutes, eyes are glazing over, then after he leaves, our General pulls up in a jeep, calls a huddle, talks to us for like 5 minutes, then he busts out a thermos and bums a dart of somebody; coffee and smoke break.

Your General; perfectly pressed brand new BDU's and boots without a spec o' dust on them.

Our General; helmet on, fighting order, cammed up, jungle boots.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:56 am

Okeefenokee wrote:Picture yourself in a debriefing following an engagement where a shipment of rockets you're getting ready to intercept instead turns into a hailstorm of bullets from every direction because both Iraqi and Iranian border forces are one the scene, and higher is telling you to stay out of it, and the leading question is whether or not your soldiers were wearing the proper gloves, or if they took them off because it was hot.
Gloves on/off is a bit too totalitarian even for me, but I have to admit, I was pretty strict on dress and deportment, I wasn't against LCF, I enforced LCF, there was a menu of options you could select from, but you had to select one of those options, otherwise I'd be like "sort yourself out", and I only expected to have to say it once, if I came back and people were rolling like pogues, I'd probably light them up too.

And my rule on aftermarket kit was that it had to be milspec/stanag, and it had to blend in, can't be sticking out like a sore thumb, when we wre in the UK we actually had Special Air Sea Services custom make high end aftermarket British kit for us, in Canadian pattern, and for the most part, in the field, the RSM's would let that slide.

I'm all in favour of high speed low drag, but it's gotta be done professionally, and it's gotta be supervised, if you let the Privates start picking and choosing for themselves, next thing you know they look like a buncha raggamuffins, which; not on.
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:42 pm

"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Otern

Post by Otern » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:33 am

What are you guys' thoughts on safeties on firearms?

I usually like this channel for good info:

But on what makes a good safety, I'm a bit conflicted. They seem to focus a bit too much on guns for either plinking, personal defense, or hunting from a static position.

When I'm going grouse hunting, I wouldn't want to use a shotgun that didn't have a thumb safety, and it should reset to safe after opening the action. One has to walk around with shells chambered, and over rough terrain, while still having easy access to switch the safety the second a grouse takes off. No safety, or the safety off, would in this case be way too dangerous, since you could always slip when walking in the mountains, and something could hit the trigger and suddenly, you have one less friend.

A thumb safety just seems like the best option for grouse hunting, since it's quick to go from safe to fire. Its safety indicator is very visible while walking with the gun low ready.

So, any reason NOT to have a thumb safety on a shotgun? (Of course it's practical to have some other type of safety if you lack thumbs, but any other reasons?)

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:33 am

I like safetys on the trigger guard of a shotgun just because I'm used to it.

The thumb safety on the breech is nice though, I've used that before
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:18 pm

1000 yard accuracy in the Civil War
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience