The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Fife

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Fife » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:00 pm

That sounds cool as can be. Can you imagine an IRL gunsmith or machinist (especially with a chubs for history) having that kind of access?

Honestly, who knows how much human history has been lost to us because the state can only see 24 hours into the future? (Almost all of it?)

That's a serious question.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:04 pm

Fife wrote:That sounds cool as can be.
Oh, you'd be like a kid in a candy store, Fife, the Death Star was a gun nuts wet dream, and every other type of tactical nut as well, because we had it all, it was the like the NASCAR of shooting stuff and blowing shit up, extreme government paid camping, with all the feexins you could think of, and many that you didn't even know existed.

At the battalion level, we were far better equipped and provisioned than even our American counterparts, only SOCOM had the kind of spread we had. The Green Berets came up one time, and even they were like "dayum"
Nec Aspera Terrent

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fife wrote:That sounds cool as can be.
Oh, you'd be like a kid in a candy store, Fife, the Death Star was a gun nuts wet dream, and every other type of tactical nut as well, because we had it all, it was the like the NASCAR of shooting stuff and blowing shit up, extreme government paid camping, with all the feexins you could think of, and many that you didn't even know existed.

At the battalion level, we were far better equipped and provisioned than even our American counterparts, only SOCOM had the kind of spread we had.
But would they let you have the entire evening up until lights-out to scribble out new and improved brass+powder+bullet load calculations to test out on the range?

If I was 16 again right now, knowing what I know now, I'd take over the world in both small-arms loads and pussy. The Dos Equis guy would be driving me around and picking up my lunch.

As it stands, I'm going squirrel hunting in the morning. :cheers:

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Fife wrote:But would they let you have the entire evening up until lights-out to scribble out new and improved brass+powder+bullet load calculations to test out on the range?
Oh, in Recce Platoon, we could do anything, we had our own complex within the complex, and we had the sniper section, so you could just fill in "sniper training" and make that into whatever you wanted, and you'd have the Recce Platoon dedicated weapons technician at your disposal as well.

The fuckin' wogs had no idea what we were up to, in the battlegroup, Recce Platoon was like black ops, even our training was classified, which, then you can do whatever you want, fill in "mobility skills training", and you could go parachuting, mountaineering, whitewater kayaking, whatevs, we blew taxpayer dollars, like a Mini-Me Pentagon.

Like I said, we had the Green Berets with us, and they were like "how the fuck do you guys get away this shit?!"

Down in the States, they had to justify every single penny they spent, their bean counting chain of command was up their asses with a fine tooth comb, but up here in the Great White Unmartial Government North, nobody's minding the store, and even if they were, they don't know enough to say what's what anyways, they're all urbane fuckin' liberals, they don't even know which end of the gun the bullets come out of.

We had a gung-ho Captain, and an even more gung-ho Warrant, it was like working for Charlie Beckwith and Dick Marcinko.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fife wrote:But would they let you have the entire evening up until lights-out to scribble out new and improved brass+powder+bullet load calculations to test out on the range?
Oh, in Recce Platoon, we could do anything, we had our own complex within the complex, and we had the sniper section, so you could just fill in "sniper training" and make that into whatever you wanted, and you'd have the Recce Platoon dedicated weapons technician at your disposal as well.

The fuckin' wogs had no idea what we were up to, in the battlegroup, Recce Platoon was like black ops, even our training was classified, which, then you can do whatever you want, fill in "mobility skills training", and you could go parachuting, mountaineering, whitewater kayaking, whatevs, we blew taxpayer dollars, like a Mini-Me Pentagon.

Like I said, we had the Green Berets with us, and they were like "how the fuck do you guys get away this shit?!"

Down in the States, they had to justify every single penny they spent, their bean counting chain of command was up their asses with a fine tooth comb, but up here in the Great White Unmartial Government North, nobody's minding the store, and even if they were, they don't know enough to say what's what anyways, they're all urbane fuckin' liberals, they don't even know which end of the gun the bullets come out of.

We had a gung-ho Captain, and an even more gung-ho Warrant, it was like working for Charlie Beckwith and Dick Marcinko.
That's what it was like in Iraq, but less comfy. In garrison, when we wanted things, we had to take the budget into account. Something came up in theater, and I asked if our budget would cover it. The XO says, "we don't have a budget." Those days are over, though.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:54 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:That's what it was like in Iraq, but less comfy. In garrison, when we wanted things, we had to take the budget into account. Something came up in theater, and I asked if our budget would cover it. The XO says, "we don't have a budget." Those days are over, though.
We must have had a budget, and I don't know what it was, but seemed to me, our platoon budget was bigger than the three rifle companies combined, like I said, our Warrant, he was like Dick Marcinko, he had the connects, and he knew how to pull strings.

Also, seemed like every new peice of kit that was being trialed for the army, somehow our platoon ended up getting it to test, we had people from DRDC bringing us new toys to play with all the time, its wasn't so hi-tech by the standards now, but back in the early 90's, it was all bleeding edge stuff.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:That's what it was like in Iraq, but less comfy. In garrison, when we wanted things, we had to take the budget into account. Something came up in theater, and I asked if our budget would cover it. The XO says, "we don't have a budget." Those days are over, though.
We must have had a budget, and I don't know what it was, but seemed to me, our platoon budget was bigger than the three rifle companies combined, like I said, our Warrant, he was like Dick Marcinko, he had the connects, and he knew how to pull strings.

Also, seemed like every new peice of kit that was being trialed for the army, somehow our platoon ended up getting it to test, we had people from DRDC bringing us new toys to play with all the time, its wasn't so hi-tech by the standards now, but back in the early 90's, it was all bleeding edge stuff.
That's Irwin. There's a budget, but no one's ever got there.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Apparently it's not like this anymore, there's CANSOFCOM now, so they get all the love, the light infantry battalions still get some extra toys, but now that Canada has SOF, the best stuff gets passed to them.
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:14 pm

In wars it all depends when you are there. If you are on the initial push it's wide open, an Anarchists wet dream. Open conex full of weapons, ammo, demo, whatever you want........ go later, and the start ratcheting down on stuff.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:17 pm

C-Mag wrote:In wars it all depends when you are there. If you are on the initial push it's wide open, an Anarchists wet dream. Open conex full of weapons, ammo, demo, whatever you want........ go later, and the start ratcheting down on stuff.
That's not even war, that's anything in the military, could be peacekeeping, could be exercise, could be weapons testing, first on the ground, and it's max relax and just getter done, until that is, an HQ shows up and the whistleheads take over.

Headquarters ruins all the fun, no matter what you're doing in the military.
Nec Aspera Terrent