The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Smitty-48

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:49 pm

heydaralon wrote:Image

In the military, how often, if at all, are pump action shotguns mounted on assault rifles? Is this mainly a movie thing? In a combat situation, would it help or hinder you? Also, does the addition of the shotgun make it more difficult to aim the rifle?

I'm assuming this is not a common practice but idk.
The shotgun mounted on the rifle I've never seen in use, generally you'd just carry an entry shotgun in each section for breaching doors, when you're not using it, it just gets slung, the other military application for a shotgun is a riot gun in aid to the civil power, but again, then you'd just issue shotguns in the sections for the tasking.

For the most part, the military doesn't go for the gimmicky stuff, it's all about logistics, everything as interchangeable as possible, mounting a "master key" on a service rifle is more of a logistical pain in the ass than it's worth, even CANSOF, where they have much more leeway to customize their rides, they just use the Remington 870 compact with the double pistol grips on a shoulder sling.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Looks like a 410 anyway. Enjoy killing terrorist clay pigeons.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:09 pm

For military application, the shotgun is more of a tool than a weapon, 99% of the time you're just using it to breach doors, it's not like a grenade launcher which is going to be in constant use, so a rifle mounted shotgun would really just be dead weight on your rifle except for a few brief moments here and there, troops would just take it off and put it in their packs as soon as they could, everybody would be mooching around trying to cannibalize lower handguards so they could get rid of the stupid shotgun attachment.

Even being stuck with the grenade launcher is a pain in the ass, you give those to the FNG's.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:33 pm

Idk Serbs and camel jockeys seem to prize grenade launchers. Probably because Russian ordinance isn't very accurate but w/e

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:36 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Idk Serbs and camel jockeys seem to prize grenade launchers. Probably because Russian ordinance isn't very accurate but w/e
The grenade launcher is useful, but it's not a weapon which the troop who is carrying it is in control of, you don't fire a 40mm grenade unless you're given a fire control order to, so you're basically just the porter, the Section Commander is the one controlling the weapon, you hump the kit, but he calls the shots, hence; FNG duty.

The only weapon which you have any control of whatsoever, is your personal weapon, and even then, limited control, everything else is under control of higher, so if you don't have to hump it, you don't, only hump what you have to hump, and never volunteer.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:41 pm

But that's not really how they use them at all. They just hold it over their head and fire over the top of a ridge at berm.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:45 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:But that's not really how they use them at all. They just hold it over their head and fire over the top of a ridge at berm.
Who, the Serbs? Nah, they got their shit wired tight, the Serbs are professionals, they pretty much run things like NATO. Arabs? idk, I don't have much experience with Arabs.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:50 pm

Oh idk I'm going off of Arab videos. Never saw the Serbs in action but I heard they were absolutely ruthless and were well on their way to removing all Muslims, the only way, until Clinton bombed them.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:55 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Oh idk I'm going off of Arab videos. Never saw the Serbs in action but I heard they were absolutely ruthless and were well on their way to removing all Muslims, the only way, until Clinton bombed them.
Well, Yugoslav Civil War; you have to differentiate between Yugoslav National Army, Chetnik militias, and just armed civilians, but since the civil war, the Serbs have reformed the army, it's much better now than it was then, in the midst of a total meltdown.

As for Arabs, from what I'm told, from people who have trained with them, the Jordanians at least, are hardcore professionals, they pretty much run things like the British Army.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:52 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Technically I suppose, it was actually "Stormrifle". But again, don't brame me, Rabbi; literally Hitler.
In a military context the german word sturm translate as assault. That is the word used for violently attacking a fortified enemy position. Same in Swedish.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck