The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Hastur

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Hastur » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:00 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Hastur wrote: What do you think of that round? I believe the reasoning behind choosing it was to find a round that was as light and economical as possible but still did the job. I don't know if recoil was weighed in. I wouldn't think so on account of the Mausers it was designed for.
Considered to be an excellent all round cartridge and similar types are coming back into style, particularly with SOF, paticularly the 6.8x43mm SPC and the 6.5x39mm Grendel, but the issue is really logistics; Sweden as a Neutral with a massive conscript force justifies Sweden fielding its own cartridge, Sweden as a Non NATO Military Ally with a massively reduced all volunteer force doesn't really justify that anymore, at this point, logistically, Sweden is for all intents and purposes reliant on NATO and NATO cartridges therein, thus, 6.5mm Swedish Mauser is essentially obsolete.
Sure, we switched to the 7.62 and then to 5.56 as soon as it was adopted by NATO. It made total economic sense. I heard some of the older NCOs saying they preferred the M1919 with the 6.5 rather than the later 7.62 version. SAme for the Swedish version of the FN-MAG. I only fired it with the 7.62 so I couldn't tell.
Last edited by Hastur on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:02 am

heydaralon wrote:I did not realize the distinction. I'm doing some reading on intermediate cartridges atm. What is the appeal of modern day submachine guns in the military, if assault rifles can fire further, and more accurately at long distances? Is it just because they are lighter and easier to carry around?
Submachine guns have been reduced to a niche role at this point; Special Operations Assaulter close quarters battle weapon, primarily for hostage rescue and/or close protection detail, other than that, they're not widely used by the military. The primary appeal of the SMG in this role, dominated of course by the HK MP5, is the reduction of overpenetration; at close quarters, with hostages/bystanders, in a building and/or confined space, one does not want the rounds to overpenetrate through people and walls to hit the wrong people on the others side, which, if you're using a high velocity supersonic cartidge this would be a greatly increased possibility.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:08 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:I did not realize the distinction. I'm doing some reading on intermediate cartridges atm. What is the appeal of modern day submachine guns in the military, if assault rifles can fire further, and more accurately at long distances? Is it just because they are lighter and easier to carry around?
Submachine guns have been reduced to a niche role at this point; Special Operations Assaulter close quarters battle weapon, primarily for hostage rescue and/or close protection detail, other than that, they're not widely used by the military.
In what situation is it better for the military to use a carbine over a rifle? Is that also a special ops thing?
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:11 am

heydaralon wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Submachine guns have been reduced to a niche role at this point; Special Operations Assaulter close quarters battle weapon, primarily for hostage rescue and/or close protection detail, other than that, they're not widely used by the military.
In what situation is it better for the military to use a carbine over a rifle? Is that also a special ops thing?
A carbine is simply a shortened rifle, originally employed by cavalry, you sacrifice range for a more compact weapon, the M4 is the carbine version of the M16, the M16 has a longer barrel and as such is accurate at longer ranges, the M4 is more compact making for easier handling in tight spaces i.e. vehicles and at close quarters i.e. buildings.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:22 am

In terms of assault rifle/assault carbine, the area where they are most deficient is where you are having gunfights at extended ranges over open ground as opposed to close quarters, currently this is the case in Afghanistan, where CENTCOM/NATO has been distributing 7.62x51mm Battle Rifles/Designated Marksman RIfles, because they have found 5.56x45mm too often has been outranged simply by the reach of the fights; open ground, mountains and valleys; you can see them but you can't hit them, because they are beyond the effective range of the intermediate caliber.

Afghanistan incited a similar upgrade to sniper rifles as well; .308 Match gave way to .338 Lapua Magnum, so you could snipe from this side of the valley to that, etcetera.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:02 am

Hastur wrote: I heard some of the older NCOs saying they preferred the M1919 with the 6.5 rather than the later 7.62 version.
Older NCOs; always kvetching about something; hence why the Commissioned Officers are in charge.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:12 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Hastur wrote: I heard some of the older NCOs saying they preferred the M1919 with the 6.5 rather than the later 7.62 version.
Older NCOs; always kvetching about something; hence why the Commissioned Officers are in charge.
:lol: true enough.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:04 pm

In the military, how often, if at all, are pump action shotguns mounted on assault rifles? Is this mainly a movie thing? In a combat situation, would it help or hinder you? Also, does the addition of the shotgun make it more difficult to aim the rifle?

I'm assuming this is not a common practice but idk.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:07 pm

STOP ENCOURAGING HIM TO SAY ASSAULT RIFLE SMITTY

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:11 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:STOP ENCOURAGING HIM TO SAY ASSAULT RIFLE SMITTY
Sturmgewehr ist sturmgewehr, I didn't name it that, das war Hitler.
Nec Aspera Terrent