The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Otern

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Otern » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:50 am

The Conservative wrote: Congrats, easy test to pass, it really is logical... Either way, choose what you want, they infringe on your rights otherwise, and I'd suggest to say screw it to limitations, but that's me.
Can't really say screw it to the limitations, as each new purchase needs to be approved by the police. So six is really the legal maximum, since going over this wouldn't be possible through legal channels.

Of course, there's still the possibility to be approved for more than six, but that's totally dependent on the goodwill of the local police.

I'm definitely not going to break the law on this issue, although the limitation of six guns seems rather silly. A more reasonable restriction would be 10-12. Six means we're really having to carefully consider each gun purchase.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:52 am

Otern wrote:So, I passed the hunter exam here. (49/50).

But now I need to decide on what guns to buy, after getting a safe. But because of our gun laws, not totally draconian, but still far from Texas, I'm allowed to own maximum six guns as a normal hunter, which is kind of limiting.

Probably need a bolt action .22, to learn to shoot properly, and for lazy birds. Also, need an over/under shotgun, for birds/clay. But I also want a pump action shotgun, and a semi auto .22, mainly for the fun part. That brings it up to four.

Then there's the cheap Krags and the rechambered 30-06 Mausers on the market here. Definitely need one each of those. But that brings it up to six, which means there's no room for a modern bolt action in .308, for deer, and a semi auto in .223 or 7,62x39, for fox.

Out of the eight guns I want, which two should I not buy? The over/under and a .22 of some kind is kind of necessary. I want to be able to get all eight eventually, but it can be hard to get approved to +2 over 6.
In praise of the 25 & 26 caliber rifle: how smaller is sometimes better:

"Sectional density is defined either as a projectile's mass divided by its cross sectional area, or as a projectile's mass in pounds divided by the square of its diameter in inches;
Ballistic Coefficient (BC) is basically a measure of how streamlined a bullet is; how well it cuts through the air"
-Wikipedia

I, like many of you, have probably more hunting rifles then I practically need. And I, like you, have my favorites. With this in mind I offer you some thoughts on the 25 and 26 caliber rifle as a viable alternative to taking medium sized game like our local California Blacktail deer:

As the Wikipedia quotes above indicate .25 and .26 caliber rounds give the most penetration for the least recoil of any family of cartridges.

Years ago I bought a model 96 Swedish Mauser at a local gun show. The rifle is chambered for the 6.5x55 (.264) Mauser cartridge. Knowing of it's legendary ballistics, and with the help of a professional gunsmith, I had the thing Sporterized from its original military configuration into a very sharp looking hunting rifle. The old wooden military stock was replaced with a modern composite. I had the barrel shortened to 22 inches and had the boar recessed as one would find in target rifles. The old iron sites were ground down, the 90° bold handle was turned down to 180°, the receiver was drilled and tapped for scope mounting and I had it topped off with a beautiful variable powered Leopold scope.

When I finally took possession and got it to the range I was astonished and pleased to find it was a tack-driving little monster. I have reloaded both 120 grain in 140 grain rounds, and at 200 yards the heavier of the two produced only a 2 inch drop from the lighter. And silver dollar sized groups are the norm.

That same fall I took probably the nicest Blacktail of my life with it; a one shot kill at about 50 yards through heavy brush. The beautiful little forked horn buck was hit at mid shoulder and probably was dead before he hit the ground. As I field dress the animal I noticed that the projectile had penetrated both lungs and exited the far side with minimal amount of damage to the carcass.

When you consider choosing a rifle for hunting our native blacktail I sincerely hope you consider the sub 30 caliber rifles that are available. Not only are the things inherently accurate, and have better sectional density, but the reduced recoil they produce make them a pleasure to shoot.

As a closing note I would like to remind you that these facts were not unknown to our fathers and grandfathers. Years ago the 250 savage, 257 Roberts, 25 Remington and 25/35 Winchester were staples among deer hunters across the country. It's a sin that these wonderful little cartridges have lost most if not all of their popularity. They are wonderful tools for the sport and I hope you get a chance, at some point, to shoot some of them.

Happy hunting and straight shots,
Tom Orecchia

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:58 am

Don't buy a bolt .22 why? Practice bolt on another rifle and get the semi .22 for plinking/pest control

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:06 am

Otern wrote:
The Conservative wrote: Congrats, easy test to pass, it really is logical... Either way, choose what you want, they infringe on your rights otherwise, and I'd suggest to say screw it to limitations, but that's me.
Can't really say screw it to the limitations, as each new purchase needs to be approved by the police. So six is really the legal maximum, since going over this wouldn't be possible through legal channels.

Of course, there's still the possibility to be approved for more than six, but that's totally dependent on the goodwill of the local police.

I'm definitely not going to break the law on this issue, although the limitation of six guns seems rather silly. A more reasonable restriction would be 10-12. Six means we're really having to carefully consider each gun purchase.
Where the hell do you live?
#NotOneRedCent

Otern

Post by Otern » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:12 am

The Conservative wrote: Where the hell do you live?
Norway.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:15 am

Otern wrote:
The Conservative wrote: Where the hell do you live?
Norway.
Have fun.
#NotOneRedCent

Otern

Post by Otern » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:17 am

TheReal_ND wrote:Don't buy a bolt .22 why? Practice bolt on another rifle and get the semi .22 for plinking/pest control
Think you're right there.

So, one semi auto .22, an o/u, a Krag, a Mauser, a modern bolt action, then choose between one of the few legal semi auto .223, or a pump action shotgun?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:20 am

Otern wrote:So, I passed the hunter exam here. (49/50).

But now I need to decide on what guns to buy, after getting a safe. But because of our gun laws, not totally draconian, but still far from Texas, I'm allowed to own maximum six guns as a normal hunter, which is kind of limiting.

Probably need a bolt action .22, to learn to shoot properly, and for lazy birds. Also, need an over/under shotgun, for birds/clay. But I also want a pump action shotgun, and a semi auto .22, mainly for the fun part. That brings it up to four.

Then there's the cheap Krags and the rechambered 30-06 Mausers on the market here. Definitely need one each of those. But that brings it up to six, which means there's no room for a modern bolt action in .308, for deer, and a semi auto in .223 or 7,62x39, for fox.

Out of the eight guns I want, which two should I not buy? The over/under and a .22 of some kind is kind of necessary. I want to be able to get all eight eventually, but it can be hard to get approved to +2 over 6.

Sounds like you've made your choices and you are hunting deer with a Krag or 30-06 Mauser. Frankly, you don't need a .308 bolt gun. The only thing that buys you is cheaper ammo. IMO the 30-06 is a slightly better round than the .308, flatter shooting and harder hitting, .308's are a hair more accurate. But for most it doesn't matter.

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/308-win-vs-30-06/

What are the laws on multiple interchangable barrel rifles ? There have been many guns produced where you can switch barrels and calibers.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:28 am

Otern wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Don't buy a bolt .22 why? Practice bolt on another rifle and get the semi .22 for plinking/pest control
Think you're right there.

So, one semi auto .22, an o/u, a Krag, a Mauser, a modern bolt action, then choose between one of the few legal semi auto .223, or a pump action shotgun?
Why o/u? If you get two shotguns get one in .410 imo

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:41 am

Also, how about a Drilling Gun, multiple calibers, very traditional in Europe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_gun
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience