The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Smitty-48

Re: The Armory - Guns, Knives, and Axes

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:37 pm

heydaralon wrote:Did you guys ever watch the movie Patton with George C Scott? Its a great goddamn movie.
Hated it, and any Patton fan worth his salt should too, George C. Scott was all wrong to play Patton, doesn't look like Patton, doesn't sound like Patton, doesn't walk like Patton, doesn't talk like Patton, George C. Scott is about as un-Patton like as you can get.

Need a new Patton movie, with a propper Patton, just to get the rancid taste of that movie out of my mouth and set things right.

All the movies they remake and they don't remake that one? That's a movie in need of a remake, desperately. Doesn't do Patton justice, and needs the "Saving Private Ryan" treatment as far as effects go.

In the era of Trump and Mattis? Now's the time to remake Patton, the box office would be off the charts.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon May 22, 2017 4:57 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:"We defeated the wrong enemy." George S. Patton, 1945.
Yeah.... that's never going to happen smitty

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 22, 2017 5:03 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:"We defeated the wrong enemy." George S. Patton, 1945.
Yeah.... that's never going to happen smitty
Get Bannon on the phone.

Get Steve Bannon, I said.

Nec Aspera Terrent

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon May 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:Did you guys ever watch the movie Patton with George C Scott? Its a great goddamn movie.
Hated it, and any Patton fan worth his salt should too, George C. Scott was all wrong to play Patton, doesn't look like Patton, doesn't sound like Patton, doesn't walk like Patton, doesn't talk like Patton, George C. Scott is about as un-Patton like as you can get.

Need a new Patton movie, with a propper Patton, just to get the rancid taste of that movie out of my mouth and set things right.

All the movies they remake and they don't remake that one? That's a movie in need of a remake, desperately. Doesn't do Patton justice, and needs the "Saving Private Ryan" treatment as far as effects go.

In the era of Trump and Mattis? Now's the time to remake Patton, the box office would be off the charts.
You understand that whole movie was a gag, right?

It's an OK movie, so long as you know that it's a gag.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Eisenhower never even really let Patton off the leash, until things got desperate at the Ardennes that is. The American doctrine was to soften every position up with sustained artillery preparatory bombardment, but this only alowed the Germans time to move their reserve into position for a counterattack, it wasn't until the Americans were encircled in the Bulge, that they said "OK, Patton, you're off the leash, just get up there as fast as you can", early on, the Germans didn't take much notice of Patton, it was only near the end when he was allowed to run amok, that they called him "the American Guderian".
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon May 22, 2017 6:27 pm

I actually captained Payton's old ship before Gloria sank it (before it went into private hands)

The ships name is the When and If. It got its name from something he said to his wife, "When and if I ever get home from the war, I'm going to sail this damn ship."

I was in high school when it sank. It was in his will to either give it to a school or some sort of entity of the sort, or scuttle it on the bottom of the ocean.

It was the best ship I ever been on except for the USS. Constitution.

As for Patton himself, he's the reason D-Day didn't get fucked up more than it already did.
#NotOneRedCent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue May 23, 2017 1:26 am

Smitty-48 wrote:He was like Rommel, that's why the Nazis viewed him as their nemesis, Bradley was a good administrator, but he was timid, didn't have the audacity, wasn't agressive, Montgomery was a plodder, he could win, but he needed overwhelming superiority, Zhukov was a butcher, a Montgomery, but without the humanity.

Rommel, Patton; audacious, agressive, dancers, stick and weave, float like a butterfly sting like a bee, that's what set them apart from the plodders, butchers, and administrators.

I mean, it was an industrial war of attrition, an ocean of plodders, butchers, and administrators, set piece slugfest after set piece slugfest, just pile resources up and then feed them into the meat grinder, and then there was Rommel and Patton, never stop moving, never let the enemy get his footing, punch him in the face, then keep on dancing and punching, never sit there and just get into a slugfest, rope a' dope if you have to, but when you come off them ropes; "Ali, bomayae".
It was a pity that Richard O'Connor went and got captured in 1941. He was the Panzer General that the brits needed. I know he escaped later and did well in Overlord but he never got to the level he deserved.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:52 am

Hastur wrote: It was a pity that Richard O'Connor went and got captured in 1941. He was the Panzer General that the brits needed. I know he escaped later and did well in Overlord but he never got to the level he deserved.
Meh, the British don't have that Panzer mentality, never did, the British Army is infantry-centric, they may have invented the tank, but they've never embraced it as the arm of decision, it's institutional, the British Army is an Infantry Mafia to the bone, the tank, merely a supporting arm.

The British version of Lightning War, is the SAS, they go for Super Infantry over Panzers.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Otern

Post by Otern » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:35 am

So, I passed the hunter exam here. (49/50).

But now I need to decide on what guns to buy, after getting a safe. But because of our gun laws, not totally draconian, but still far from Texas, I'm allowed to own maximum six guns as a normal hunter, which is kind of limiting.

Probably need a bolt action .22, to learn to shoot properly, and for lazy birds. Also, need an over/under shotgun, for birds/clay. But I also want a pump action shotgun, and a semi auto .22, mainly for the fun part. That brings it up to four.

Then there's the cheap Krags and the rechambered 30-06 Mausers on the market here. Definitely need one each of those. But that brings it up to six, which means there's no room for a modern bolt action in .308, for deer, and a semi auto in .223 or 7,62x39, for fox.

Out of the eight guns I want, which two should I not buy? The over/under and a .22 of some kind is kind of necessary. I want to be able to get all eight eventually, but it can be hard to get approved to +2 over 6.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:39 am

Otern wrote:So, I passed the hunter exam here. (49/50).

But now I need to decide on what guns to buy, after getting a safe. But because of our gun laws, not totally draconian, but still far from Texas, I'm allowed to own maximum six guns as a normal hunter, which is kind of limiting.

Probably need a bolt action .22, to learn to shoot properly, and for lazy birds. Also, need an over/under shotgun, for birds/clay. But I also want a pump action shotgun, and a semi auto .22, mainly for the fun part. That brings it up to four.

Then there's the cheap Krags and the rechambered 30-06 Mausers on the market here. Definitely need one each of those. But that brings it up to six, which means there's no room for a modern bolt action in .308, for deer, and a semi auto in .223 or 7,62x39, for fox.

Out of the eight guns I want, which two should I not buy? The over/under and a .22 of some kind is kind of necessary. I want to be able to get all eight eventually, but it can be hard to get approved to +2 over 6.
Congrats, easy test to pass, it really is logical... Either way, choose what you want, they infringe on your rights otherwise, and I'd suggest to say screw it to limitations, but that's me.
#NotOneRedCent