Re: The diet of Metas - Ketogenic

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:12 pm

What macro is it?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:13 pm

Fife wrote:Charles D sez that's nuts.
Who?

I already fast 16 hours each day no problem. If I added eight hours to it, I'd hit the 24 hour mark.

For instance, I could keep the intermittent fasting for every day but Friday when I do a 24 hour fast. My HGH would be boosted through the roof after that.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:52 pm

When you're doing IF are you not eating anything or are you taking in a small amount?

I've read some people who do IF will drink two protein shakes a day; they're still under 500 calories but its something. This is a keto IF diet with fasts on Tuesday and Thursday.

I'm working out 6 days a week right now, some workouts 1 hour, some 2 hours, so I'm a little scared about fasting but I know when I am fasted its easier to workout. Its just later in the day that's a problem
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:20 pm

California wrote:When you're doing IF are you not eating anything or are you taking in a small amount?

I've read some people who do IF will drink two protein shakes a day; they're still under 500 calories but its something. This is a keto IF diet with fasts on Tuesday and Thursday.

I'm working out 6 days a week right now, some workouts 1 hour, some 2 hours, so I'm a little scared about fasting but I know when I am fasted its easier to workout. Its just later in the day that's a problem

No, man. That's not how it works.

IF means you put all your eating into an eating window. Most people do something like a 16 hour fast with an 8 hour eating window. Most of that 16 hour fast involves you sleeping, so it's not as crazy as it sounds. For instance, you could stop eating at 8 pm and not eat again until 12 pm the next day.

IF doesn't consider what you are eating or how much. I have seen people talking a game about how you don't need to restrict your calories. I call bullshit on that. If you still want to lose weight, you still need a calorie deficit.

What IF is going to do is regulate your insulin while drastically boosting your HGH and test. This is why people like bodybuilders tend to eat this way all the time. They still eat a surplus to grow muscle when they are bulking, they just want their hormones regulated and boosted where it helps them.

Personally, I eat something close to an isometric macro profile, and I eat it all in a six hour window. I eat at around 2pm and then again around 8pm before starting the fast (18 hours). I eat like a king too and am still running a deficit at the current time in a cut. This means that, when I get to sleep in about an hour from now (hopefully), I will have all the protein I need for hypertrophy, plus about 40% increase in HGH, plus about 20% increase in test. Meanwhile, for the rest of the day, my cortosol and insulin are regulated so that I am burning fat.

On cardio days I run around 12 pm and then start cooking a meal after I get home. I am running in a fasted state here. There exists some research that suggests we may actually be directly burning body fat for energy in that case. Otherwise, I am just clearing out my glycogen stores. This means that, when I do eat *good* carbs, very little of them actually convert to body fat.

I wouldn't recommend a keto diet for what it does to your metabolism, your thyroid, and all sorts of other issues, but a keto diet is basically an inferior attempt at what fasting does. If you fast for 18 hours, you are technically in ketosis towards the end of it. But you can get all the metabolism -boosting effects of carbs later in the day too (carbs are not bad, I can't repeat that enough).

But you can still do your keto diet and IF. IF is meal timing. It's not a diet per se.

The other thing.. you need muscle to keep your metabolism running properly. Something around 70% of your daily expenditure is your basal metabolic rate. Your thyroid needs to remain healthy (and that's where carbs help). Your organs can't (shouldn't) get bigger (except maybe your heart if you are weak at cardio). The only thing you can control is your muscle mass. Muscle burns calories. The more muscles you have, the more calories you burn. Exercise might account for 10% of your caloric expenditure. Don't exercise just to burn calories. Exercise to get more muscle (except running, which has other important effects).

So focus on strength exercises with cardio as a supplement. This helps you grow muscle and keep your metabolism strong. Avoid diet fads that fuck with your ability to build and maintain muscle. I am sorry, but if your muscles are shit out of glycogen, your lifts are going to suck. Therefore, your hypertrophy is going to suck. Thus, you seriously compromised the one thing that could keep you in shape longterm.

I am not talking about skill training like martial arts or even gymnastics here. I am talking about straight-up resistance training in the form of calisthenics or weight lifting. That's far more important to you longterm than any diet.

Fasting gets your hormones right, and you want to focus on that as well while dieting.

I think keto would be a good play if you need rapid weight loss (and most of it will be water since you just deprived your body of glycogen), but longterm? I think it's dangerous. Meanwhile, we have had this fasting thing since the dawn of history and science has proven it to be quite good for you.

Fasting is the way of the true meta. Keto is a dangerous fad in my opinion. You could make a pilgrimage to some hidden kung fu temple in Tibet and I swear they will just tell you to fast.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:43 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Most people do something like a 16 hour fast with an 8 hour eating window. Most of that 16 hour fast involves you sleeping, so it's not as crazy as it sounds. For instance, you could stop eating at 8 pm and not eat again until 12 pm the next day
Lol, sorry man. I didn't know you meant short term fasting. That's literally what I've been doing almost every day for several weeks. I eat some meat around noon, and some meat and cheese around eight when I get home, and that's it for most days. You tellin' me I could keep that up and still eat carbs?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:45 pm

I am going to try 24 hour fasts soon. Then maybe think about long fasts.

apeman

Post by apeman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:18 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Most people do something like a 16 hour fast with an 8 hour eating window. Most of that 16 hour fast involves you sleeping, so it's not as crazy as it sounds. For instance, you could stop eating at 8 pm and not eat again until 12 pm the next day
Lol, sorry man. I didn't know you meant short term fasting. That's literally what I've been doing almost every day for several weeks. I eat some meat around noon, and some meat and cheese around eight when I get home, and that's it for most days. You tellin' me I could keep that up and still eat carbs?
I eat like this all the time.

Also, I have always "crashed" much less than others when it comes to going a long time without eating.

My wife or sis doesn't eat for several hours? Armageddon.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:41 am

You have to do it every day for a period of time to get the benefits of it, but it's not difficult. Your body gets hungry when you train it to eat no differently than your dogs. After a while, breakfast is not really something you want (though you might still crave breakfast foods later in the day).

The real difficulty I think is in going longer than 24 hours.

IF is super easy and comes with a lot of benefits. It's definitely worth doing. Plus you get larger meals when you do eat.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:00 am

I fasted for 10 g*ddamn days,
surely you can keep up!

:twisted:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:21 am

DBTrek wrote:Image
I fasted for 10 g*ddamn days,
surely you can keep up!

:twisted:

From what I am finding out, that's really not that difficult. You won't be hungry unless you eat small amounts of food. I went for four days, but I partitioned off a brick of sea rations for that time, and I was in a lot of pain. I think what happens if that, if you eat even a little, your hunger will become really painful. But if you don't eat anything, you won't feel hunger after a day or two.