The diet of Metas - Ketogenic

doc_loliday

Re: The diet of Metas - Ketogenic

Post by doc_loliday » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:35 am

Okeefenokee wrote: i would say that probably 80% or more of my diet now is meat and cheese.

i rarely eat breakfast. generally have some beef or poultry at around noon. have some meat and cheese when i get home from class at around 8. and that's it. i can tell i'm getting into a pattern, because the only time i feel hungry is right about those two times right before i eat.

i'm throwing in some carbs once or twice a week just so i don't keep losing weight.

Are you restricting your calories in anyway to lose the weight? The reason I ask is because if you're on 80% meat and cheese split into 2 meals, that's basically two 1000-1500 calories meals of meat and cheese twice a day. That's a lot of goddamn meat and cheese. Are you eating 4 chicken thighs and 4 ounces of cheddar at a time?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:39 am

I wonder if what's happening is that he is eating a lot less because fat and protein is far more satiating and takes a long time to digest compared to veggies.

Bread, sugar, pasta, etc., will digest really fast and cause an insulin spike that makes you hungry not long after. Ever notice how, after eating a pasta dinner, you feel a bit of hunger about 1-2 hours afterwards?

If all you do is eat lean meat and saturated fats, you are going to feel full all the time. That might make it hard for you to overeat, depending upon your metabolism and lifestyle.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:I wonder if what's happening is that he is eating a lot less because fat and protein is far more satiating and takes a long time to digest compared to veggies.

Bread, sugar, pasta, etc., will digest really fast and cause an insulin spike that makes you hungry not long after. Ever notice how, after eating a pasta dinner, you feel a bit of hunger about 1-2 hours afterwards?

If all you do is eat lean meat and saturated fats, you are going to feel full all the time. That might make it hard for you to overeat, depending upon your metabolism and lifestyle.
I believe you're correct.
Fat and protein are satiating, and they don't cause your insulin or glucose to spike, ergo your appetite is naturally suppressed. For instance, I missed lunch today because I was doing a phone interview - and I don't care. Not really hungry. I'll make it up in five hours when it's dinner time.

There are probably better diets for building up body mass, but for cutting ones habitual obsession over food and boosting energy levels I've yet to meet ketogenic's equal.

Heard great things about occasional fasting, but it seems a bit hardcore for me.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Intermittent fasting is super easy.

The hardest part for me is counting calories, but you don't need to to do that. I still maintain a calorie deficit and I have to worry about getting enough protein to get stronger.

I stopped bulking, though. I will probably spend about a year just growing slowly after cutting off some of the fat I built up while building muscle and working on skill-based things like calisthenics and gymnastics.

But as far as ease.. I'd say intermittent fasting is much easier since you don't technically have to worry about what you are eating.

As far as hunger.. don't feel it. I figured out that what we actually do is train ourselves to eat at a certain time. For the same reason my dogs know it's almost 4pm and are circling around me in anticipation of dinner, your body will naturally feel hungry around a certain time if you feed yourself at that time each day.

You could probably combine the two things to great effect, honestly. Getting that HGH boost from fasting is a pretty big deal.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:50 pm

I'd like to try a fasting program, it just takes a lot of willpower with my current schedule.

When my schedule does permit me to wake up at a normal time and go to the gym shortly after I can go hours without eating. I prefer to work out fasted as well.

My work schedule might be changing again to one where I can actually get on a fasting program so I am going to try it out.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:27 pm

It really doesn't take any willpower after a few weeks. You won't feel hungry at all.

You might want to go to a 24-hour diner to get breakfast foods, though, since most people like breakfast dishes.

If you are doing keto, you might as well try to add intermittent fasting into it.

I basically do what he called template 3. I eat like a fucking king when I eat too. Instead of sparkling water, I drink a 64 ounce growler of water with crystal light or one of those sports drink syrups (you have to make sure they are zero calories, though).

I break my fast after running on the days I run. I don't lift or do progressive calisthenics until the evening, after I have protein and carbs in my system. So I don't worry about muscle loss there.

If I were to add a keto profile to my nutrition plan, I wouldn't need to change anything with respect to fasting.

Oh... and if you are running in a truly fasted state, there is some research that suggests you might actually be burning fat directly as energy. Not sure if that is true, and if it is true, we are talking about only a fraction of a pound, since a pound of fat is at least 3,500 calories. But still.. that would speed up fat loss in addition to being in a deficit. If you are in a surplus for bulking, it might keep the fat off while you grow too.

apeman

Post by apeman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:25 am

DBTrek wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:I wonder if what's happening is that he is eating a lot less because fat and protein is far more satiating and takes a long time to digest compared to veggies.

I believe you're correct.
Fat and protein are satiating, and they don't cause your insulin or glucose to spike, ergo your appetite is naturally suppressed. For instance, I missed lunch today because I was doing a phone interview - and I don't care. Not really hungry. I'll make it up in five hours when it's dinner time.

There are probably better diets for building up body mass, but for cutting ones habitual obsession over food and boosting energy levels I've yet to meet ketogenic's equal.

Heard great things about occasional fasting, but it seems a bit hardcore for me.
Onto day 4 -- no alcohol (have not done more than 2 days without drinking in a row in 15 years), coming in below the carb et al targets with no willpower required.

Yesterday did an 8 hour round trip drive for extended oral argument against a formidable opponent in multi-million dollar case, while I didn't sleep much the night before, I was not drowsy for even one moment on the drive, I was super sharp all day, eviscerated by experienced opponent in court who walked right into my trap. But hesitant to chalk this up to META SKILLZ!

I have never drank so much damn water in my life, just hook my up to a fat and H20 IV right now.

And what DB and DSL say seems true to me -- I am so full because of the fat and protein that wife is forcing me to eat more, although she could be sabotaging me, not clear.

I find it hard to believe I will lose weight this way, but ape girl been doing it for weeks and she did.

Curious how this all goes, I will continue for at least 10 more days on this trial.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:28 am

Well, it's probably a given that she will try to sabotage you insomuch as she can beat you in the diet. Female nature and all.

apeman

Post by apeman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:30 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Well, it's probably a given that she will try to sabotage you insomuch as she can beat you in the diet. Female nature and all.
I told her this exact same thing several times lol.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:01 am

doc_loliday wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote: i would say that probably 80% or more of my diet now is meat and cheese.

i rarely eat breakfast. generally have some beef or poultry at around noon. have some meat and cheese when i get home from class at around 8. and that's it. i can tell i'm getting into a pattern, because the only time i feel hungry is right about those two times right before i eat.

i'm throwing in some carbs once or twice a week just so i don't keep losing weight.

Are you restricting your calories in anyway to lose the weight? The reason I ask is because if you're on 80% meat and cheese split into 2 meals, that's basically two 1000-1500 calories meals of meat and cheese twice a day. That's a lot of goddamn meat and cheese. Are you eating 4 chicken thighs and 4 ounces of cheddar at a time?
Yeah, I could eat that much in a meal when I'm on a strict keto kick

Although I nearly always mix in some spinach or a salad
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session