The diet of Metas - Ketogenic

Martin Hash

Re: The diet of Metas - Ketogenic

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:52 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:In particular, there would be no way to gain muscle if what you are saying is true. To gain about 20 lbs of muscles I had to eat a calorie surplus. To burn off fat, I had to maintain a calorie deficit.
???
Eat protein. Aren't you taking protein supplements? At the very least, Amino Acids? What do calories have to do with anything?
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:10 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:In particular, there would be no way to gain muscle if what you are saying is true. To gain about 20 lbs of muscles I had to eat a calorie surplus. To burn off fat, I had to maintain a calorie deficit.
???
Eat protein. Aren't you taking protein supplements? At the very least, Amino Acids? What do calories have to do with anything?
i would say that probably 80% or more of my diet now is meat and cheese.

i rarely eat breakfast. generally have some beef or poultry at around noon. have some meat and cheese when i get home from class at around 8. and that's it. i can tell i'm getting into a pattern, because the only time i feel hungry is right about those two times right before i eat.

i'm throwing in some carbs once or twice a week just so i don't keep losing weight.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:55 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
???

You need protein and fat bare minimum. But even that's not optimal without carbs. You really need all three. The macro ratios in whole milk should tell you something about anabolism.

I'm not saying you can't do it without carbs, but it makes building muscles a lot easier.

And building muscles in a calorie deficit is possible, but hard. I was never able to do it. I have to bulk and then cut.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:01 pm

I've heard from some pretty big guys that, in fact, when they bulk they boost their carbs quite high. But when they cut, the carbs go down, and the protein goes up really high. Carbs are really important for building muscle efficiently.

You might scoff, but competitive bodybuilders have always been pretty far ahead of medical science. They were doing this keto stuff long before it became even a major research topic. This goes back really far. They do a lot of other sophisticated things now, but they are often right about things that we just don't really understand yet (or didn't understand until recently).

These guys are basically like hackers, but instead of computers and networks, they hack the human body, and they just figure this shit out in their own bro science way.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:17 pm

OMG.

p.s. Hackers don't know more about computers than I do either.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:25 pm

I get that this might not be a great way to build muscle, but that wasn't why I tried it out. Other than seeing about these supposed super powers, I just wanted to see about dropping some pounds.

I kept doing strength training after the army, but I cut way back on the cardio. So, I kept the muscle, but the drop in calorie burn meant I tacked on about twenty pounds. I know some of that is due to getting older. The days of living on hot pockets and ramen and staying at 160 had to end sometime.

I joined the Army at 138, left Fort Knox at 160, and more or less stayed there for the next 8 years.

The best thing about this is realizing I was wrong about losing weight taking as long to do as the gaining of it. I had a mentality that likened it to a drought. If it takes you a long time to get there, it'll take you a long time to get back. Totally untrue.

20 pounds/(365*2.5) = ~.0219pounds/day

20 pounds/ ~60 days = ~.3333 pounds/day

Having never had to think about losing weight until I was pushing thirty, I really thought it took some effort. Completely false. Gaining muscle takes effort. Losing fat happens on its own with the right diet.

Adam Carolla has a health dude on his show from time to time, Vinnie Tortorich. A couple weeks ago he said something that I really liked. "You can out-eat any running regimen."
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Martin Hash wrote:OMG.

p.s. Hackers don't know more about computers than I do either.
Oh, really? So you maintain about 6% body fat and a very high muscle mass? Since you are sooo much smarter than bodybuilders, surely you can beat them at their own game..

And don't make excuses out of your age!

Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:31 pm

OMG, Grumps has taken over your mind.

p.s. I'm out of this thread.

Ape Girl

Post by Ape Girl » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:37 am

MH - Thank you for your input!

Ape Man was way low on fat, protein and of course calories last night so I made him a plate of bacon, avocado and cheese. +1 for me. +1 for Keto.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:39 am

Ape Girl wrote:MH - Thank you for your input!

Ape Man was way low on fat, protein and of course calories last night so I made him a plate of bacon, avocado and cheese. +1 for me. +1 for Keto.
WELCOME APE GIRL
Shikata ga nai