The diet of Metas - Ketogenic

Ape Girl

Re: The diet of Metas - Ketogenic

Post by Ape Girl » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:46 am

My carb flu detectors.

Do those work? I've heard some very mixed reviews.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:53 am

Some people get too hung up on the numbers those test strips give rather than just sticking to the macros

I can tell if I'm in ketosis by the taste in my mouth the most. According to my wife I always stink but other people notice a change in their BO
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:00 am

The test strips work in my experience. At least during the first two or three weeks of ketosis. I follow the simple rule - if you get a detection anywhere from light pink to deep purple, then you're expelling ketones and are in ketosis. After a couple of weeks your body adapts to the keytones and the specific chemical these strips test for may or may not be in your urine stream - at which point you either accept you're in ketosis because you can tell by the way your body feels (and because you haven't eaten a bunch of carbs), or you move on to blood testing kits (too hardcore for me).
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:41 am

California wrote:I can tell if I'm in ketosis by the taste in my mouth the most. According to my wife I always stink but other people notice a change in their BO
That's kinda gross.

What is the taste?

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:54 am

Ape Girl wrote:Hi all,
I am Ape Man's other half. I thought I would add to this topic since he's my partner in crime, and now keto. I'm glad - Now I can admit to him that I put butter (now ghee and coconut oil) in coffee. To most, that's insane.

I'm on Day 6 of Keto diet and LOVE it. I'm sticking to 25 carbs a day. I know they say 20 but the 5 carb difference is A LOT. I keep track with an app - keto diet. My goal is to not cheat for 2 weeks and see what happens. I am not overweight but have a little extra fat hanging around. I am moderately active (work outdoors 50% of the time and go to yoga almost every day). My fitness goals are overall strength and maintenance of flexibility and a healthy skeletal system.

The Keto Flu: The first few days were rough for me. After a long 4th of July weekend of eating and drinking I was feeling like crap and committed to Keto. I tried it once before so it is familiar. Of course I was nauseous, had a headache and very low energy. I was extremely dehydrated even w/ 3L of water a day. Harder yoga classes made me dizzy.
Benefits: Thankfully, all that passed in 2-3 days and I feel extraordinary. Seriously, I think even my eyesight is sharper. I spend less of my day focused on food because I'm simply less hungry. I've already noticed a slight loss of fat (even with a serving or 2 of Bryers low carb chocolate icecream. It's really good.)

However, this is only day 6. Let's see what I can resist next time I'm at a campfire and someone brings out s'mores.

I am debating taking a multi-vitamin to ensure an attempt to get enough vitamins/minerals. I really try to get a variety of foods but w/out fruit or much veggies I have concerns. I know studies show it doesn't help or hurt but why not hedge my bets?
Another aspect of Keto that no one ever talks about but also has an important & positive contribution to your life is it's a great routine. Routine is GOOD for your mental health, plus setting & making small achievable goals is also GOOD for your outlook on life. In our modern age of affluence where we don't have to find food, a place to sleep or protection from our enemies, a day's little accomplishments are difficult to get, but trying to stay healthy is an excellent substitute.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:05 am

apeman wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
nuke got me to switch to bubble water during the week.
What this? first page of google search results did not clarify

Carbonated water, club soda, that sort of thing. I drink it all the time. If you like drinking beer, it's nice having a fizzy drink. I bought one of those SodaStreams and make my own.

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:12 am

doc_loliday wrote:
apeman wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
nuke got me to switch to bubble water during the week.
What this? first page of google search results did not clarify

Carbonated water, club soda, that sort of thing. I drink it all the time. If you like drinking beer, it's nice having a fizzy drink. I bought one of those SodaStreams and make my own.
Yep I drank three glasses of this yesterday as an alcohol substitute.

there is a part of my brain that likes the process of drinking. It is easily fooled with bubbles. Stupid brain.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:24 am

doc_loliday wrote:Carbonated water, club soda, that sort of thing. I drink it all the time. If you like drinking beer, it's nice having a fizzy drink. I bought one of those SodaStreams and make my own.
Well . .. aren't you just one bourgeois motherf*cker?

:lol:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:36 am

Some say I'm cheap. I like bourgeoisie better.

Mmmmm, I think I'm gonna go make one right now.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:37 am

Gonna put a couple lemon slices in it too. Keto approved.