The Mess

Ex-California

Re: The Mess

Post by Ex-California » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:50 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Playing video games, reading, writing, bullshitting on the internet, watching movies.. that would make a long commute less stressful.

I can see where people might want boxier vehicles they deck out sort of like a little living space rather than what we think of as an automobile today. Put little refrigerators in there. Recliners with seatbelts. Large screen televisions.

Honestly, you know there would be a lot of sex going on if everybody had vehicles like this. Especially if you can pull curtains over the windows or have the tint increased on command.
Honestly, if I'm stuck in the car all that time I'd rather be driving and listening to music/talk radio/podcasts/audio books like I do now. The physical act of driving keeps my attention and exercises my brain a lot more than any other time waster. If I wanted to get a ride to work I'd ride public transit

I hate public transit. I actually like driving. The only thing that sucks about commuting is gridlock, something that will never go away despite what all the "digital evangelist" faggots preach to us
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:04 pm

Imagine every car on the road merging within an inch of each other, never needing to pass, and all exactly in line no matter the weather.

That's going to eliminate 90% of the gridlock instantly. We wouldn't even need stop lights.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:27 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Imagine every car on the road merging within an inch of each other, never needing to pass, and all exactly in line no matter the weather.

That's going to eliminate 90% of the gridlock instantly. We wouldn't even need stop lights.
You have a lot of faith in the infallibility of these systems.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Xenophon wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Imagine every car on the road merging within an inch of each other, never needing to pass, and all exactly in line no matter the weather.

You have a lot of faith in the infallibility of these systems.
Oh, the first generation will be a bloodbath, no doubt. And there will be no shortage of diehards or poor folk that can't afford the driverless system, that will end up hitting them. But eventually, it's gonna happen. No way around it. The benefits are just too huge.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:34 pm

I am sure nobody will think to hack the vehicles, navigation systems, and communication networks used to manage traffic, though. :whistle:

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:18 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:I am sure nobody will think to hack the vehicles, navigation systems, and communication networks used to manage traffic, though. :whistle:
They could do it now. Hopefully car companies start taking network security more seriously soon.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:20 pm

Yeah, lets just hope. All done here. We've hoped.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:25 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:Yeah, lets just hope. All done here. We've hoped.
Well, like I said, the 1st Gen will be a bloodbath. Then parents panic, Congress mandates encryption, and manufacturers get it right. 5-10 years, tops.

Won't really matter for most though, as we'll all be looking for a job.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:29 pm

You know that point in sci fi when all the rich leave this rock for greener pastures and the unwashed masses get left behind?

I'll be building the rockets.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:31 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:You know that point in sci fi when all the rich leave this rock for greener pastures and the unwashed masses get left behind?

I'll be building the rockets.
Can I have a job? :mrgreen:

I've applied to NASA and SpaceX. I'd love to work on that shit.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace