Plutarch on animal ethics

JohnDonne

Re: Plutarch on animal ethics

Post by JohnDonne » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:00 pm

MDE was aesthetically in line with Adult Swim, (they watched adult swim and imitated the style) they had a large built in following, it's artsy and edgy, it's politically vague irony over irony and it made you think. Seems like a perfect fit for adult swim, and it was.

In some ways Hyde is like Orson Welles taking on Hearst. Artist against behemoth. He flagrantly attacked the system that he was working within. And he paid for it.

Hyde had brass balls, but he was also a nutjob.
You can't have a punk rock ethic and need hollywood money. They tasted it, and then didn't want to go back to making productions on a shoestring budget.

Fatal blow.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:06 pm

JohnDonne wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:00 pm
MDE was aesthetically in line with Adult Swim, (they watched adult swim and imitated the style) they had a large built in following, it's artsy and edgy, it's politically vague irony over irony and it made you think. Seems like a perfect fit for adult swim, and it was.

In some ways Hyde is like Orson Welles taking on Hearst. Artist against behemoth. He flagrantly attacked the system that he was working within. And he paid for it.

Hyde had brass balls, but he was also a nutjob.
You can't have a punk rock ethic and need hollywood money. They tasted it, and then didn't want to go back to making productions on a shoestring budget.

Fatal blow.
Have you ever seen Dr. Manslave? In the beginning they had this long screed where they were praising OWS. As time went on, they grew to have contempt for that type of person.

I don't think adult swim is edgy. As you say, they have a distinct (or used to be) aesthetic but its really not edgy. Rick and Morty's "pop nihilsim" with a pinch of sentimentality isn't edgy. I used to watch Aqua Teen Hunger force and never thought it was edgy either. Just weird animation and commercials. Which is not to say that a lot of that stuff isn't funny. It is. Its just that the surface is everything. I havent seen their new stuff, but the previews look good. The one where Sam mocked the Parkland High students was pretty funny though.
Shikata ga nai

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:53 pm

I've seen manslave, another good one.

The trouble with artists is, like Clubby said, their politics are almost always bad. That's true for MDE. It was better when they were simply raging against the machine, being angry and creating out of their own frustration, not having any answers. It was all apiece with the momentum of the time, bank bailouts, OWS and the tea party, drone wars. They were filled with a indiscriminate post-irony inspired by the deepest and most irrevocable of disappointments in life.

Their comedy existed by creating a false dichotomy, and making fun of both those at once.

Life imitates art, the views they satirized became their own, and they became one side of the stupid dichotomy.

Adult swim, maybe not edgy, but cutting edge as far as tv goes.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:18 pm

JohnDonne wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:53 pm
I've seen manslave, another good one.

The trouble with artists is, like Clubby said, their politics are almost always bad. That's true for MDE. It was better when they were simply raging against the machine, being angry and creating out of their own frustration, not having any answers. It was all apiece with the momentum of the time, bank bailouts, OWS and the tea party, drone wars. They were filled with a indiscriminate post-irony inspired by the deepest and most irrevocable of disappointments in life.

Their comedy existed by creating a false dichotomy, and making fun of both those at once.

Life imitates art, the views they satirized became their own, and they became one side of the stupid dichotomy.

Adult swim, maybe not edgy, but cutting edge as far as tv goes.
Sam and Nick are libertarians of some sort, while Charls is a Neocon. All with a dose of anti-semitism. I don't know if they are actually anti-semites, but I kind of think they are personally based on some remarks Sam has said in various interviews. Anyway, Modernity is so pervasive, that you can't really even mock it or criticize it without being a part of it. I don't really take their politics too seriously, though their mockery of SJWs is pretty funny. How did someone like you even find out about those clowns?
Shikata ga nai

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 pm

They weren't an alt-right dog whistle back in the day, they were punk rock indie comedy.

Iconoclasts, against the PC establishment.

I found out about them in like 2013-14 when I was messing around with stand-up comedy. I saw Sam Hyde's stuff and it changed my whole approach.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:49 am

JohnDonne wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 pm
They weren't an alt-right dog whistle back in the day, they were punk rock indie comedy.

I found out about them in like 2013-14 when I was messing around with stand-up comedy. I saw Sam Hyde's stuff and it changed my whole approach.
Where did you do stand up?
Shikata ga nai

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:25 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:06 pm
That mass shooter was a vegan. There really ought to be laws against it.
Veganism is a mental disorder
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:00 am

heydaralon wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:49 am
JohnDonne wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 pm

Where did you do stand up?
Never mind where and when. What was your best routine?
Did you do jokes about veganism?

Much respect for anyone with the balls to stand in front of a crowd of strangers and try to make them laugh.
My only public performances have been as a juggler where you can hide behind your skills and props.
A stand-up comedian has nothing to hide behind.
Most audiences are half drunk and more than ready to say if they don't like you.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:25 am

I thought all vegans were just trying to make us laugh. It's serious?

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:25 am
I thought all vegans were just trying to make us laugh. It's serious?
JohnDonne is partially on the level because he likes some MDE. I'm not ok with the Veganism or his frequent homosexual dalliances, but maybe we were too hard on him. He is on his way to personhood, he's just not quite there yet.
Shikata ga nai