We're Under Attack

Montegriffo

Re: We're Under Attack

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:30 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote::roll:
roll your eyes all you want, you know I'm right.

I don't see BBC publishing articles in Manchester slang, for example.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... cents.html
The director-general of the BBC called yesterday for an increase in the number of regional accents heard on the corporation's television and radio programmes.Mark Thompson said he wanted to see an increase in the range of regional accents - from the Newcastle brogue to the West Country burr - on BBC shows as part of a drive to end the domination of the standard English accent.The move follows complaints from licence fee payers that the BBC was ignoring large swathes of the country by failing to employ people with regional accents - even on local news programmes.

Mr Thompson agreed that viewers should be able to listen to a broader range of accents on television and radio.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:31 am

I mean.. even people with Downs Syndrome can read the regular BBC in most cases. You're basically operating on the assumption that Africans are little better than animals -- like some missing link between apes and human beings who can sort of understand a few words, but they require BBC to talk to them like we talk to our dogs and cats.

And you have the audacity to virtue signal this as if anybody who opposes it is the real racist!

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:34 am

Loathe as I am to agree with StA on this, but I do find HM BBC Pidgin channel to be an absurdity, I honestly thought it was just a joke, like a gag site, and yes, I do subscribe to the Basil Faulty school too. Loves me some Basil Faulty, what's not to love?

And I literally grew up with West Indians who spoke pidgin, but it's not I spoke pidgin speaking to them, and moreover, I did take the piss out of them for putting on airs about it too, as in "you're from Toronto, mates, quit fronting like you're straight off the boat from Trenchtown..."

Her Majesty speaking pidgin, just to be politically correct?

What nonsense. I'm stunned that Capps would be approving of this, of all people.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:44 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:I mean.. even people with Downs Syndrome can read the regular BBC in most cases. You're basically operating on the assumption that Africans are little better than animals -- like some missing link between apes and human beings who can sort of understand a few words, but they require BBC to talk to them like we talk to our dogs and cats.

And you have the audacity to virtue signal this as if anybody who opposes it is the real racist!
Ah the elitist language snob who thinks foreigners should just speak proper English is virtue shaming anyone who tries to communicate any other way.
Communication is not racist or virtuous it is just communication.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:47 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
No, to be understood.
No point in the BBC wasting the licence fee broadcasting to subjects in a language they don't understand is there?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:48 am

It isn't elitism. There can be only one dialect spoken in universities, legislatures, and the official media of a nation (who has one). If you want to go hang out in Little Jamaica, learning a bit of pigeon English is well-advised. But to deprive immigrants of the opportunity to learn English spoken in the halls of power and in education -- that's fucking evil and that's exactly what is happening. We almost did the same thing here in America in the 1990s with ebonics. Thank God the liberals weren't able to handicap blacks with that too.

Use the form of language appropriate to the context in which you are communicating. That's not difficult to understand. Or it shouldn't be, unless you hate your own nation and want to see it destroyed.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:48 am

Oh and by the way, I had two mates who I joined the army with, brothers, Jamaicans, actually born in Trenchtown, Kingston, real deal tough guys, actual Jamaican gang members growing up in Flemingdon Park, and they didn't speak pidgin, they spoke the Queen's English perfectly, and we used to say, black guys fronting pidgin when they were actually Canadians, was no different than being a Wigger.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:49 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
No, to be understood.
No point in the BBC wasting the licence fee broadcasting to subjects in a language they don't understand is there?

"No point in the BBC" is all you had to say.
Last edited by Fife on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:49 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Loathe as I am to agree with StA on this, but I do find HM BBC Pidgin channel to be an absurdity, I honestly thought it was just a joke, like a gag site, and yes, I do subscribe to the Basil Faulty school too. Loves me some Basil Faulty, what's not to love?

And I literally grew up with West Indians who spoke pidgin, but it's not I spoke pidgin speaking to them, and moreover, I did take the piss out of them for putting on airs about it too, as in "you're from Toronto, mates, quit fronting like you're straight off the boat from Trenchtown..."

What nonsense. I'm stunned that Capps would be approving of this, of all people.
What is it you think I'm approving of? I'm just against StA's war on slang. Why are you fronting like you never use words that aren't in the dictionary? No one is arguing against teaching people to speak proper english, y'all have shitty ass reading comprehension.
*yip*

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:51 am

Where did I wage a war on slang? I like slang. I love slang. In it's own context, I think pigeon English is awesome.

What I wage war against is handicapping immigrants by depriving them the ability to speak the dialect of a language used in the academies and in the government. That's truly evil.

We all speak differently depending upon the context. You don't speak the same way around your family as you do your friends, and you speak differently in a university setting than you do at a bar after work. The key to getting on in life is knowing how best to communicate in a given context.

It helps immigrants exactly FUCK ALL to try speaking pigeon English in a college classroom and it certainly doesn't help them address grievances in government when you deprived them of the ability to speak the language used therein.