It's refreshing to see that civil discourse is not dead online

Hwen Hoshino

Re: It's refreshing to see that civil discourse is not dead online

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:14 am

Feoh wrote:Hello all!

This most recent election cycle has really challenged some of my long standing beliefs around politics. Unlike other elections of the recent past, there was no candidate that really drew me in and left me feeling excited to lend my support.

I am socially liberal and always will be, but as I learn more about the way the world and government works I have come around to the idea that at the very least fiscal conservatism has some really compelling arguments behind it that are worthy of careful consideration by any citizen who is committed to keeping our nation great.

I started numerous conversations on Facebook, and they all devolved into ultra-polarized, super heated conversations that more resembled two troops of primates fighting over a preferred fruit tree than the carefully considered discussion of invested citizens setting out to continue to form a more perfect union.

So, thank you to Mr. Hash for creating this forum, and thank you to all of you who have contributed to it. This place gives me hope that the internet could be a tool for bettering our society after all rather than tearing it apart.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=2266

Please bring some above average left wingers with you.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:23 am

Feoh

Post by Feoh » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:37 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:You have to be pretty thick-skinned to be a freemason these days.

Hopefully Monty will start screaming Masonphobe! at us.
You have to be pretty thick skinned to be an "out" Mason these days :) Happily, I have decades of experience being flamed by experts. My asbestos underwear is likely older than some of you.

Being a Mason is a point of pride for me. Whether it's Freemasonry, bowling leagues or the Rotary, I think our society desperately needs organizations like this where people get to meet in person and form actual relationships rather than spending all day flam·bé-ing each other online.

I'm also a technologist, so I'm also a huge fan of the digital world, but I'm watching the societal changes it's bringing on and not liking all of what I'm seeing.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:50 am

We have another Rotary guy here.

Feoh

Post by Feoh » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:55 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
Feoh wrote: Please bring some above average left wingers with you.
Gonna test the waters myself beyond the Welcome thread before I do that, but I may well :)

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:57 am

Where are you hiding the girl? Tell us and you can still live.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:07 pm

:text-welcomewave:

Looking forward to some fresh perspective around here. Just don't let the smell throw you off... we've been in here a long time.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:25 pm

It's like this.
24/7
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Feoh wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:You have to be pretty thick-skinned to be a freemason these days.

Hopefully Monty will start screaming Masonphobe! at us.
You have to be pretty thick skinned to be an "out" Mason these days :) Happily, I have decades of experience being flamed by experts. My asbestos underwear is likely older than some of you.

Being a Mason is a point of pride for me. Whether it's Freemasonry, bowling leagues or the Rotary, I think our society desperately needs organizations like this where people get to meet in person and form actual relationships rather than spending all day flam·bé-ing each other online.

I'm also a technologist, so I'm also a huge fan of the digital world, but I'm watching the societal changes it's bringing on and not liking all of what I'm seeing.
Nothing wrong with masons, my grandfather was one.
Welcome Feoh, hope you find this place as civil as you think it is.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Bienvenido, amigo. Please contribute, add to the controversy, and have fun.

BTW, have you considered a personal relationship with any west coast podcasters (some of whom require a bit of faith to believe actually exist anymore)? :angelic-blueglow: