If Clinton wins does Dan shut down his forum

Fife

Re: If Clinton wins does Dan shut down his forum

Post by Fife » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:11 am

skankhunt42 wrote:If HH was animated like Cosmos was, that could be cool.
Animation usually works.

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:11 am

So was it Dan Carlin's "people" (Agent, etc) that made him ultimately decide his own message board was bad for his brand, or was it the "Pro" Trump posting?

Personally, regardless of his reasons, I'll always compare the closing of the forums to a kid on the playground who lost and he's taking his ball and going home.

Because clearly, Dan wants to rail on Trump for the next 8 years and doesn't want people to come to his message board and see a different view point.

Dan should rename CS the Safe Space podcast. He sold out intellectually.

His brand is shilling for what exactly? The Old Dan was for a non politician President. Was the Old Dan a fraud too?
Last edited by skankhunt42 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

Calculus Man

Post by Calculus Man » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:32 am

skankhunt42 wrote:Was the Old Dan a fraud too?
I've been forced to ponder this as well.

I don't think fraud is the right word, though. He's just a showman who decided it was time for a new act

Kill yr idols.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:50 am

skankhunt42 wrote:So was it Dan Carlin's "people" (Agent, etc) that made him ultimately decide his own message board was bad for his brand, or was it the "Pro" Trump posting?

Personally, regardless of his reasons, I'll always compare the closing of the forums to a kid on the playground who lost and he's taking his ball and going home.

Because clearly, Dan wants to rail on Trump for the next 8 years and doesn't want people to come to his message board and see a different view point.

His brand is shilling for what exactly? The Old Dan was for a non politician President. Was the Old Dan a fraud too?
Now hol up a little. You guys sound like the Obamabots early on. Dan jumped in his shot pretty early and he was getting killed for it. We always knew he kind of leaned lefty, this is nothing new. If Dan didnt want guff and argument then he should have shuttered this thing from the beginning. We had a home we didnt have to pay the bills be appreciative for that. We have moved on, let him.

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:53 am

clubgop wrote:
skankhunt42 wrote:So was it Dan Carlin's "people" (Agent, etc) that made him ultimately decide his own message board was bad for his brand, or was it the "Pro" Trump posting?

Now hol up a little. You guys sound like the Obamabots early on. Dan jumped in his shot pretty early and he was getting killed for it. We always knew he kind of leaned lefty, this is nothing new. If Dan didnt want guff and argument then he should have shuttered this thing from the beginning. We had a home we didnt have to pay the bills be appreciative for that. We have moved on, let him.
Fair enough. You're not wrong, moving on.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:54 am

I can't reconcile the change either. Trump came out in the speech in which he declared his intention to run and said things that Dan had said in the first Common Sense episode I ever downloaded, "Trapped by the Inflexible Mind." That episode "woke" me, I suppose. I started devouring everything I could on the subject of economic globalization and it's effects on the working class.

When I heard that Trump was running, I was on vacation in Colonial Williamsburg. My buddy texted me that he was running and was all excited. I had always considered Trump to be an idiot on a show my mom used to watch, and dismissed him every time I heard his name. I did so to my friend after he told me about it. I was finally convinced to watch the speech, and was dumbfounded. Here's a guy I have no respect for, mentioning things that Dan Carlin first brought to my attention. I was thinking, "Hey, here's the outsider Dan's always wanted. Yeah, he's a big doofus, but literally no other politician would ever say this."

And then Dan went silent. Then he recanted his positions, and threw his lot in with the mainstream. I understand it, though. I have a family, and if I made my living on political speech, I'd probably be more open to having my positions become more fluid. But I feel like the new Dan that arose is a man whose positions are different than the man I first heard.

Cid

Post by Cid » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:58 am

I have no idea what you mean when you say he flipped on Trump or whatever. Dan has been remarkably consistent for the 8+ years I've listened to him.

I think you're creating a complicated answer for a simple question. Dan had moods, but if you're a longtime listener I don't see how you couldn't predict Dan's take on the election or Trump.

All of this has happened before, in 2008. A political novice beats Clinton, has an incredibly idealistic and energized base, and then proceeds to fill his anti-lobbyist administration with lobbyists. Dan called it. He was hopeful and thought it was cool to have the first black president, but rained on the Obama kids' parade an episode after the primaries. I remember it. Later he hammered Obama for all of the crap he hammered Bush for, because it was still happening. He got pissed on by a lot of people for being a mutant with the mundane power of having a memory longer than a fruit fly on ambien.

And then Scott Dolan completely lost it and wanted to be publicly banned. He defecated all over the board, and finally Dan banned him. Dan loved Scott, truly he did. But when Dolan decided to go rabid Dan shoved him out the airlock. It worked, but its something that only works once. Dolan came back and apologized, but he never posted much in depth again.

Dan never pretended to like Trump, he just liked Trumps effect on the system. He had two back-to-back episodes on how he hates torture, he's had recent episodes on how racism is real and disturbing and he is not a fan of dynastic power. That being said if Trump fixes the system I think Dan would be happy he was wrong. I think he would have been happy to be wrong about Obama.

But that's thing, you couldn't be wrong on his boards anymore. Used to be you could, you get beat you could still save face acknowledging it, none of the total war stuff. And it wasn't one person, I sure as hell didn't help, but I think the tactics just got tired. Once a thread got down to calling people "cucks" "SJWs" "racists" "fascists" or "MSM" its not really the DCF its just the no mans land of the internet. Dan hates crap like that, its why he hates the term "isolationist" being thrown at someone who just doesn't feel like having troops everywhere all the time is a great idea.

So when you see your boards starting to reflect things you don't like, when you get called a cuck for speaking your mind, when your name is literally at the top of the page and you've got weird Rhodesian photo threads... Yeah I think you don't spend money on that anymore. I don't think its a mystery. I think a guy who has spoken at length lamenting the loss of diplomacy would give a diplomatic reason when shutting down something he was once very proud of. I'm sure the decision was a long time coming. Dan makes decisions about as quickly as mountains move. You can't airlock a crowd of people, can't reason with the mob, even if you want to you. So while I think he loved the boards and the users on it, I don't think he could take the time to address the decay. Its just easier and more merciful to end it with a real financial justification.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:06 am

The Dan Carlin one heard in episodes prior to around 2010, or thereabouts, certainly gave the impression that he would support Trump, if only strategically to destroy the duopoly establishment. In fact, he even opined in one episode that an outsider might hijack and take over one of the parties to ram through anti-corruption and economic nationalist policies. I wish I could remember the episode, but it would have been interesting to confront 2016 Dan Carlin with the earlier Dan Carlin and get him to at least admit he totally reversed himself.

It seems the posters who seriously claim Dan Carlin remained consistent do so out the fact that they themselves identify to the left, and like most lefties, possess a maternalistic impulse to protect their herd.

Cid

Post by Cid » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:18 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:The Dan Carlin one heard in episodes prior to around 2010, or thereabouts, certainly gave the impression that he would support Trump, if only strategically to destroy the duopoly establishment. In fact, he even opined in one episode that an outsider might hijack and take over one of the parties to ram through anti-corruption and economic nationalist policies. I wish I could remember the episode, but it would have been interesting to confront 2016 Dan Carlin with the earlier Dan Carlin and get him to at least admit he totally reversed himself.
Trump so far is pulling an Obama, he used populism and is now rewarding the Rep part of the duopoly. Everything you said is accurate except for the part where you expect Dan to ignore the obvious hoping for a different outcome. He didn't do it with Obama and got completely crapped on by the left.
It seems the posters who seriously claim Dan Carlin remained consistent do so out the fact that they themselves identify to the left, and like most lefties, possess a maternalistic impulse to protect their herd.
This is complete gibberish. Just call me a lefty liberal and don't prevaricate.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:23 am

I did not attempt evasion. No need to circle the wagons to protect the flock. I made an observation you can feel free to reject or not, or I guess circle the wagons to protect the righteous flock from wrongthink.