Pros and Cons of this forum.

Xenophon

Re: Pros and Cons of this forum.

Post by Xenophon » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:06 pm

Given all the hard work our resident Archivist, Dr. Nuke, is doing, could there be a subforum for the DCF archive? You could lock the subforum so that the threads wouldn't be so cluttered with new comments.

K@th

Post by K@th » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:22 pm

Xenophon wrote:Given all the hard work our resident Archivist, Dr. Nuke, is doing, could there be a subforum for the DCF archive? You could lock the subforum so that the threads wouldn't be so cluttered with new comments.
Not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?
Account abandoned.

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:30 pm

Kath wrote:
Xenophon wrote:Given all the hard work our resident Archivist, Dr. Nuke, is doing, could there be a subforum for the DCF archive? You could lock the subforum so that the threads wouldn't be so cluttered with new comments.
Not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?
A subforum similar to "Expertise" or "Odds and Ins." We could call it "DCF Archive" or "The Archive". It'd be a place where Nuke's archived DCF threads could go. He's posting them in Current Events right now, but they'd be easier to find (and it'd clean up CE) if they had their own, read-only sub-forum.

Does that make sense?

K@th

Post by K@th » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:39 pm

I'm just not clear on what's being archived. I see new threads with the same titles as the DCF, but those are new threads with old titles. The Wayback Machine has Dan's forum archived through a couple of months ago, though, so that archive will exist after Dan turns off his server.
Account abandoned.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:14 pm

It doesn't have everything. Nuke is putting in work to archive more than there is currently preserved.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:25 pm

I'm only doing it because they are threads I plan to continue. I might grab Europe Boring Until it's Not and Tiny Radical Minorities tmrw if the board is still up. Can't think of any others that were favorites of mine.

Edit: actually the wikileaks and CF I just want archived for the case I'm building to send her to jail.

katarn

Post by katarn » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:52 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Hey, first from-the-wild topic in 10 years!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll start reading how to add them. If anyone already knows, I can make you an administrator so you can do it.
pineaplemike had some suggestion.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

K@th

Post by K@th » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:01 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:I'm only doing it because they are threads I plan to continue. I might grab Europe Boring Until it's Not and Tiny Radical Minorities tmrw if the board is still up. Can't think of any others that were favorites of mine.

Edit: actually the wikileaks and CF I just want archived for the case I'm building to send her to jail.
Ok, I see what you are doing. You know the entire forum is archived on the Wayback Machine? Not sure you need to do this... seems like a lot of work when it's already done.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161115013 ... arlin.com/
Account abandoned.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:42 pm

Yeah... It's a lot of work but my method seems a bit less clunky when it's finished. Idk. Mainly doing it out of respect for the old threads.

katarn

Post by katarn » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:26 pm

Kath wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:I'm only doing it because they are threads I plan to continue. I might grab Europe Boring Until it's Not and Tiny Radical Minorities tmrw if the board is still up. Can't think of any others that were favorites of mine.

Ok, I see what you are doing. You know the entire forum is archived on the Wayback Machine? Not sure you need to do this... seems like a lot of work when it's already done.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161115013 ... arlin.com/
Perhaps I'm inept, but it isn't. Thw Wayback machine doesn't have a lot of pages (0 of those I tested) actually saved, so individually archiving them on it is necessary to keep them.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace