DCF Refugee Internment Camp

TheReal_ND

Re: DCF Refugee Internment Camp

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:25 pm

Just curious but according to Goering he was being tortured by the MP's. Heard anything about that?
Last edited by TheReal_ND on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Penner

Post by Penner » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:25 pm

C-Mag wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Yep.

Today is the day I get to tell the story of my uncle who was a 14 year old Hawaiian boy when he watch the planes and bombs drop over his head. He was working in a laundry as a boy, after the attack he spent the next 4 years as a welders assistant raising sunken ships in the harbor. Then joined the Army Air Corps. He was made an MP, and sent to Europe. He would end up serving as one of Hermann Goerings body guards at the Nuremburg Trials. Most the famous pics you see of Goering at the trial, you will see my uncle standing right beside him.

He'll be 90 soon, is still active and sharp.
That's seriously cool... I hope you've picked his brain clean of interesting stories.
Some, not enough. I didn't know he was at the Nuremburg Trials until about 15 years ago. I asked him about Goering poisoning himself. He said, "I was just Damn glad I wasn't on duty that day ! "
He did tell me he's positive who gave Goering the poison.
Did he say who it was?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:35 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
2. I meant the immediate effect on the navy. Was enough damage done to secure naval supremacy even if only for a short time?
While Pearl Harbor was a lopsided Tactical victory, it was probably a Strategic failure. The Japanese failed in many areas that day, and probably should have sent in a 3rd wave to complete most of the strategic objectives.

Failures
1. Failed to destroy the dry docks at Pearl
- these dry docks would be used to repair all the sunken ships.
- all the ships sunken, we raised and saw action in WWII, except the Arizona.
2. Failed to hit the major Fuel and Munitions Depots
3. Failed to take out the Intelligence section at Pearl that had cracked Purple
4, Missed the Aircraft Carriers that would be used at Coral Sea

There Naval dominance was Fleeting :lol:
It may have turned out differently, but pissed off American Flyers destroyed 4 Carriers a mere 7 months later at Midway. From then on it was the Americans growing in strength and the Imperial Navy failing to keep up.
Thanks Carlus, I did try to glean some info out of Smitty over in the mess but he just said, pah Americans about time they joined in, or words to that effect.
Stroke of luck the carriers were away at the time as they were the most valuable asset.
I guess attacking ships in a home port has the disadvantage of allowing repairs or recycling of parts compared to battles on the open seas.
Much like the RAF's home advantage during the battle of Britain where pilots and planes could be rearmed and redeployed several times a day having a force multiplier effect.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:40 pm

Penner wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
That's seriously cool... I hope you've picked his brain clean of interesting stories.
Some, not enough. I didn't know he was at the Nuremburg Trials until about 15 years ago. I asked him about Goering poisoning himself. He said, "I was just Damn glad I wasn't on duty that day ! "
He did tell me he's positive who gave Goering the poison.
Did he say who it was?
Yeah, it was the American Officer, a Lieutenant from Texas I think. He said both were hunters and had long conversations about hunting and basically became friends. Goering had a ton of personal belongings locked up at the prison. My uncle said the LT, who had access to this stuff was given many items by Goering, watch, guns, stuff like that. The LT would retrieve items and take them to the Field Marshall. The poison was in one of them. He guessed the pocket watch.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:49 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Just curious but according to Goering he was being tortured by the MP's. Heard anything about that?
You aren't going to take the word of Goering over that of an MP are you?
The man was a cuck who tried to usurp Hitler right at the end.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:53 pm

Just relaying what he said. Never heard an MP confirm or deny fwiw.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:54 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
2. I meant the immediate effect on the navy. Was enough damage done to secure naval supremacy even if only for a short time?
While Pearl Harbor was a lopsided Tactical victory, it was probably a Strategic failure. The Japanese failed in many areas that day, and probably should have sent in a 3rd wave to complete most of the strategic objectives.

Failures
1. Failed to destroy the dry docks at Pearl
- these dry docks would be used to repair all the sunken ships.
- all the ships sunken, we raised and saw action in WWII, except the Arizona.
2. Failed to hit the major Fuel and Munitions Depots
3. Failed to take out the Intelligence section at Pearl that had cracked Purple
4, Missed the Aircraft Carriers that would be used at Coral Sea

There Naval dominance was Fleeting :lol:
It may have turned out differently, but pissed off American Flyers destroyed 4 Carriers a mere 7 months later at Midway. From then on it was the Americans growing in strength and the Imperial Navy failing to keep up.
Thanks Carlus, I did try to glean some info out of Smitty over in the mess but he just said, pah Americans about time they joined in, or words to that effect.
Stroke of luck the carriers were away at the time as they were the most valuable asset.
I guess attacking ships in a home port has the disadvantage of allowing repairs or recycling of parts compared to battles on the open seas.
Much like the RAF's home advantage during the battle of Britain where pilots and planes could be rearmed and redeployed several times a day having a force multiplier effect.
Yeah, that's why you see European Air Forces with all the high kill numbers for aces. The ermans would have their airfields forward with the main thrust, often they would just get up in the air and encounter the enemy.

Russia get's credit for the main effort against the Germans, and deserves it. But likewise, the Americans deserve the credit for destroying the Imperial Japanese military. It's not often brought up.

The vaunted Soviets were too big of pussies to declare war on Japan.China was purely on the defensive. The UK was basically defensive for the entire war. I can't think of a British Offensive in the Pacific before Burma and that was in November of '44. By then, we pretty much had the Phillipines in hand.
Check out this map......... https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ndings.jpg

A word about Fillipino Scouts, they were studs.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:04 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Just curious but according to Goering he was being tortured by the MP's. Heard anything about that?
I've never heard this, I will see him over the holidays and I will ask him about it if the chance arises.

I know he fucking hated Goering, he thought he was the most arrogant man he had ever met. Said that Goering was offended at having to stand trial, felt they did nothing wrong, etc. He was a real as to most Americans.
PLATA O PLOMO

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:10 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Just relaying what he said. Never heard an MP confirm or deny fwiw.
I guess just being locked up was torture for a high rolling high living megalomaniac like him.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:14 pm

C-Mag wrote: Yeah, that's why you see European Air Forces with all the high kill numbers for aces. The ermans would have their airfields forward with the main thrust, often they would just get up in the air and encounter the enemy.

Russia get's credit for the main effort against the Germans, and deserves it. But likewise, the Americans deserve the credit for destroying the Imperial Japanese military. It's not often brought up.

The vaunted Soviets were too big of pussies to declare war on Japan.China was purely on the defensive. The UK was basically defensive for the entire war. I can't think of a British Offensive in the Pacific before Burma and that was in November of '44. By then, we pretty much had the Phillipines in hand.
Check out this map......... https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ndings.jpg

A word about Fillipino Scouts, they were studs.
British had the massive advantage of getting their experienced pilots back if they baled out of a plane whereas for the German pilots it was war over. Could be why we didn't send over many fighters during the fall of France.