DCF Refugee Internment Camp

Montegriffo

Re: DCF Refugee Internment Camp

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:58 am

In the Venn diagram of political ideologies here on Earth, Nuke is placed somewhere among the outer moons of Uranus.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:11 am

Yay, first to 500 posts makes up for being beaten to 50 pages.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:57 am

No one wants to talk about Pearl harbour then on the 75th anniversary?
I know my conspiracy theory has no legs in it but there must be something to discuss.
How has it affected the psyche of the US for example.
What actual effects did it have on the US navy?
Did Japan have any choice once the US embargo on raw materials took effect?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:00 am

Montegriffo wrote:No one wants to talk about Pearl harbour then on the 75th anniversary?
I know my conspiracy theory has no legs in it but there must be something to discuss.
How has it affected the psyche of the US for example.
What actual effects did it have on the US navy?
Did Japan have any choice once the US embargo on raw materials took effect?
Reaching too hard, man. Too much effort.

I think Pearl Harbor has officially passed into the historical record at this point. As Dan was talking about in the beginning of WoK, we're finally emotionally 'removed' from the event now. Not much left to say about it, now..
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:04 am

We grew closer to Japanese culture, and vice versa. Americans love Japanese culture, and Japanese love American culture. There exists a kind of cultural dialog played out in our films and literature. For instance, during the occupation, Japanese were exposed to American films and fell in love with the western genre. Their directors adapted the western to Japanese culture to produce amazing films like Seven Samurai. Americans loved that film and themselves adapted it back to American culture in the form of Magnificent Seven.

Even Star Wars is an adaptation from the Japanese samurai genre, which was an adaptation of American western genre. Thus Star Wars is considered by some critics to be a western, and by others to be a samurai film, and perhaps they are both correct.

The war with Japan was unfortunate. I'd rather focus upon the bonds between our two nations dating back to the 19th century.

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:06 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:We grew closer to Japanese culture, and vice versa. Americans love Japanese culture, and Japanese love American culture. There exists a kind of cultural dialog played out in our films and literature. For instance, during the occupation, Japanese were exposed to American films and fell in love with the western genre. Their directors adapted the western to Japanese culture to produce amazing films like Seven Samurai. Americans loved that film and themselves adapted it back to American culture in the form of Magnificent Seven.

Even Star Wars is an adaptation from the Japanese samurai genre, which was an adaptation of American western genre. Thus Star Wars is considered by some critics to be a western, and by others to be a samurai film, and perhaps they are both correct.

The war with Japan was unfortunate. I'd rather focus upon the bonds between our two nations dating back to the 19th century.
Wonderful post. I hope that in the future we can maintain good relations with Japan. I'm a fan.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:07 am

Fair enough Grumpy kill joy. Was interested in the American view of the affair. Can't just go assuming my British thoughts on it are valid without a little input from other nations. History is what we are all here to talk about , isn't it? Can't all be just dick jokes and character assassinations after all.
Only get a 75th anniversary once.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:15 am

Montegriffo wrote:Fair enough Grumpy kill joy. Was interested in the American view of the affair. Can't just go assuming my British thoughts on it are valid without a little input from other nations. History is what we are all here to talk about , isn't it? Can't all be just dick jokes and character assassinations after all.
Only get a 75th anniversary once.
Well, the main narrative will always be 'totally unprovoked attack by Japan, blatantly murdering our brave sailors in their beds, etc'. Many people think that it was allowed to happen - myself included. I also think the same about 9/11, but that's not publicly discussed, lest we be ostracized by 'right-thinking' people, or accused of hating America. :roll:

At this point, most actual controversial thought is buried in America, in favor of identity politics and railing against 'social injustice'.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:21 am

It's my final question that really interests me. Could the Japanese have concentrated their attacks solely on British poorly defended assets in the Pacific and avoided war with the US. The embargo seemed to have decided it for Japan, was it inevitable that they had to cripple the US navy in order to achieve their aims.
Would the conquest of Singapore have resulted in the US wading in anyway?

Cid

Post by Cid » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:24 am

The primary mistake was allying with Germany. They can't win once they do that. Russia is going to beat Germany, with or without help. Once that happens Stalin isn't going to forget about Japan. Japan had no intention of harassing Russia, they were way committed in China.

I don't think US declares ware without being attacked, sure, but even if the US stays neutral, Axis still loses. Russia was a beast and the British had the brains.