Discord

Hastur

Re: Discord

Post by Hastur » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:33 am

Great for teams in computer games.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:35 am

Hastur wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:31 am
Martin Hash wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:56 am
Hastur wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:21 am
Discord also has great enriched embeds. Makes it fast and easy to post links.
Real-time & links: how is this different than Twitter? And does everything just scroll away so that no real conversation with people who aren't there can happen?
Yes. That is it. It's twitter without follow and algos. But with voice. There are different "rooms" you can choose between.

Voice rooms snd and chat rooms.
You can also set up rooms to play music, games and other things as well.
#NotOneRedCent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:43 am

I've always wondered about all the people on Twitter? Do they have jobs?

The way I use social media is to break up my normal work: every so often I check to see if someone has posted, decide if I have time to respond, then go back to work.

Sometimes I want to debate but it's ruined if everybody is not debating in good faith so I literally Block 100s of people on Facebook. These are people I would ignore IRL, why should I have to suffer their presence online where they're even bigger asses?

Frankly, I'm not looking for diverse views unless they're thought-provoking: every mutterfukker has an opinion but I don't have to hear it.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:45 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:43 am
I've always wondered about all the people on Twitter? Do they have jobs?

The way I use social media is to break up my normal work: every so often I check to see if someone has posted, decide if I have time to respond, then go back to work.

Sometimes I want to debate but it's ruined if everybody is not debating in good faith so I literally Block 100s of people on Facebook. These are people I would ignore IRL, why should I have to suffer their presence online where they're even bigger asses?

Frankly, I'm not looking for diverse views unless they're thought-provoking: every mutterfukker has an opinion but I don't have to hear it.
The problem with Twitter, and it's been proven... you have people with over 15,000 accounts hammering a point across. So when something "blows up" it really is because of 100 people with 10k accounts under their belt making fake reactions "by the people" on twitter.
#NotOneRedCent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:46 am

Facebook is the most toxic social media. Twitter at least encourage brevity.

All social media are time sinks. So are forums.

The fediverse is th best idea so far IMO.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:51 am

Hastur wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:46 am
The fediverse is th best idea so far IMO.
Even more connectivity?

I'm still wondering what jobs people who Twit have? Even if they're at home, don't they have things that need to be done? Or maybe there's just so many people that the 1% who are taking a Twitter break are still enough for conversation. Problem is, the kind of conversations I want to have don't lend themselves to the 5 minutes I'm online.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:54 am

For example, I was writing a podcast script and right now I'm switching to working on the parking brake light for my '57.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:13 pm

For the past few years, since my wife & I have been going out to clubs, fairs & travel, I’ve been asking, “Where are all the young people?” I figured they must go someplace else but where? It dawned on me reading this thread that they’re all at home. A decade ago we used to joke about the PSA’s that encouraged parents to make their kids go outside at least 30 minutes a day; now those kids have grown up…

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:56 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:13 pm
For the past few years, since my wife & I have been going out to clubs, fairs & travel, I’ve been asking, “Where are all the young people?” I figured they must go someplace else but where? It dawned on me reading this thread that they’re all at home. A decade ago we used to joke about the PSA’s that encouraged parents to make their kids go outside at least 30 minutes a day; now those kids have grown up…
My kid goes out daily, and I go out with him. We play soccer, or just enjoy the sun. During the summer we will be going out fishing and camping... this isn't a thing that is lost today, it's just too many parents don't want to do it... which really is sad.
#NotOneRedCent