Bought my first house

Martin Hash

Re: Bought my first house

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:56 am

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:34 am
Atta Boy!

That's home ownership. :lol:
It will seem like I'm making this up; in the past 5 days at one of my rental houses:
Day 1: The plumbing was clogged, and the toilet bolts were corroded down and had to be cut & replaced, and still the snake didn't work. Heath ended up having to pressurize the whole thing and push the blockage out.
Day 2: The biggest snowstorm since I've lived here made it so we couldn't get to the rental and they couldn't leave.
Day 3: A neighbor's huge tree, weighted with snow, snapped at the base and fell on the house. Their insurance said it wouldn't pay for it because it was in our yard! I had to put my lawyer voice on and take care of that shit.
Day 4: The tenant works from home but the cable box mounted on the outside of the house caught fire and was burning. Heath happened to arrive at EXACTLY that time to check out the tree removal and put it out. The Power company came out and turned off the power. The cable guy came and took away the burned box.
Day 5: Heath & I put in a new 8' ground rod to isolate the cable box but Comcast still won't hook up so the tenant is going nuts, and the house was surrounded by vehicles: tree cutters, city inspector, power company, Comcast van, tenant's car, Heath's truck, plus snow.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:05 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:56 am
C-Mag wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:34 am
Atta Boy!

That's home ownership. :lol:
It will seem like I'm making this up; in the past 5 days at one of my rental houses:
Day 1: The plumbing was clogged, and the toilet bolts were corroded down and had to be cut & replaced, and still the snake didn't work. Heath ended up having to pressurize the whole thing and push the blockage out.
Day 2: The biggest snowstorm since I've lived here made it so we couldn't get to the rental and they couldn't leave.
Day 3: A neighbor's huge tree, weighted with snow, snapped at the base and fell on the house. Their insurance said it wouldn't pay for it because it was in our yard! I had to put my lawyer voice on and take care of that shit.
Day 4: The tenant works from home but the cable box mounted on the outside of the house caught fire and was burning. Heath happened to arrive at EXACTLY that time to check out the tree removal and put it out. The Power company came out and turned off the power. The cable guy came and took away the burned box.
Day 5: Heath & I put in a new 8' ground rod to isolate the cable box but Comcast still won't hook up so the tenant is going nuts, and the house was surrounded by vehicles: tree cutters, city inspector, power company, Comcast van, tenant's car, Heath's truck, plus snow.
That sounds like quite the hassle. We hope to eventually turn this house into rental property as Daddy Xeno advances in life. Fixing all the crap that breaks will be good practice for landlording, I guess.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:26 am

Daaaaaaamn Martin, tough week.
Gotta love insurance companies.

"Oh shit. The thing you pay us money for every month happened? Well ... technically it doesn't count because ..."
"Shut up and pay, cocksuckers"
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:46 am

I had a shop burn down almost 20 years ago.

Insurance tried to pay us a fraction of our full replacement policy. It took 4 to 6 months to wear them down. but they gave up and paid us full value.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:10 am

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:46 am

Insurance tried to pay us a fraction of our full replacement policy. It took 4 to 6 months to wear them down. but they gave up and paid us full value.
Never liked the bias of the system whereby companies or governments taking YOUR shit happens near instantaneously, but when they owe YOU shit it drags out for months.
Bullshit.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:43 am

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:10 am
C-Mag wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:46 am

Never liked the bias of the system whereby companies or governments taking YOUR shit happens near instantaneously, but when they owe YOU shit it drags out for months.
Bullshit.
Unlucky for them, my wife was working half days at the time. Plus shes an excellent record keeper and loves to take photos. She wore out 3 insurance adjusters before the surrendered.

She was pissed they were trying that shit, and made them pay :lol:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:13 am

Being a Director is weird.

It's my second day. Yesterday, I was thinking, "I better ask someone if it's ok for me to do x". Then I realized, "I'm the guy. I'm the guy I would ask."

It's surreal, but I'm glad I work where I do. My bosses were jokingly commenting yesterday about hoarding guns for the invasion from the border, so it's a huge improvement from my last job at a progressive university.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:17 am

Xenophon wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:13 am

It's my second day. Yesterday, I was thinking, "I better ask someone if it's ok for me to do x". Then I realized, "I'm the guy. I'm the guy I would ask."

It's surreal, but I'm glad I work where I do. My bosses were jokingly commenting yesterday about hoarding guns for the invasion from the border, so it's a huge improvement from my last job at a progressive university.
Congrats.

The Collapse ain’t turning out so bad.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:19 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:17 am
Xenophon wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:13 am

Congrats.

The Collapse ain’t turning out so bad.
The Collapse will effect people inside the urban sprawl. If you're relying on New York City Municipal Government for essential services, them's the breaks.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:58 am

Xenophon wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:19 am
The Collapse will effect people inside the urban sprawl. If you're relying on New York City Municipal Government for essential services, them's the breaks.
Relying on the government for anything is an ill-advised and dangerous game at best, but don't tell the Dems.
That's their whole scam.