Bought my first house

Xenophon

Bought my first house

Post by Xenophon » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:06 am

My wife and I are about to buy our first house together. We've rented since we were first married, so we're excited to be able to actually own something. And it'll give the kids more room, which we desperately need.

Martin Hash

Re: Bought my first house

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:24 am

The only investment I recommend. Congratulations!
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:30 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:24 am
The only investment I recommend. Congratulations!
Thanks! We're excited about the area, too. It's far enough away from the college town I work in that we won't have to worry about leftists moving out of the hellscape they voted for in order to turn someplace else into a melting pot of crime.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:05 am

Xenophon wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:06 am
My wife and I are about to buy our first house together. We've rented since we were first married, so we're excited to be able to actually own something. And it'll give the kids more room, which we desperately need.
Big congrats!
You'll likely find that soon your house value far exceeds what you paid (given the rate at which we're printing money). Don't give into the temptation to liquidate that equity if you can help it. A lot of people in their 70's still paying off their homes because they took equity out of them every decade. Painful way to go, man.

Buying a house was the best financial decision I ever made. I think you'll find the same to be true.
Enjoy the new place!
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:19 am

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:05 am
Xenophon wrote:
Big congrats!
You'll likely find that soon your house value far exceeds what you paid (given the rate at which we're printing money). Don't give into the temptation to liquidate that equity if you can help it. A lot of people in their 70's still paying off their homes because they took equity out of them every decade. Painful way to go, man.

Buying a house was the best financial decision I ever made. I think you'll find the same to be true.
Enjoy the new place!
I know some older people personally who are still paying on their house. I certainly don't want to do that. The only debt we have besides the incoming mortgage is a single car payment, so I don't want to get railroaded by debt.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:30 am

Hey that’s a big deal! Congratulations my sir.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:46 am

DBTrek wrote:
Xenophon wrote:
Big congrats!

Enjoy the new place!
Congrats on the home!
DBTrek, Solid advice! Never pull equity out of your home in you can help it, only as a last resort. We’ve owned our home since 2011 and it’s over doubled in value. We’re looking a a home that has 1,050 more in sq foot right down the road from us because we’re going to need more room as we’re taking in a 3rd child, my wife’s cousin’s 10 year old so that she doesn’t go into the system. We have about $130,000 in equity so if we buy it we’re going to put $100k down ($245,000 is the price of the “new” house) and use the remaining equity to remodel. I currently have 2.5 acres and the new place has 2.1 acres so I’ll be losing a little land in the deal) Just a case in point to not refinance over and over. My brother an sister in law did that and screwed themselves and so did my parents. I saw their mistakes first hand and said no fucking way.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:39 am

DBTrek wrote:
Xenophon wrote:
Big congrats!

Enjoy the new place!
I know someone who's (now-ex) husband, who oddly was a CPA, refinanced the house every other year. While I understand he was a director level exec and wanted to keep his tax deductions (home interest) high it seemed like a horrible idea to me. I paid my house off in less than 15 of the 30yr mortgage just by tossing in extra every month (it started as $1182/mo, I always at least rounded up to $1200, generally did $100-200 over that, and when my tax refund came I would keep say $500 to splurge on something nice and sink the rest back into the house).

Was 100% paid off before the GFC even, well over a decade now. I couldn't rent an outhouse around here for the $400/mo in taxes it costs me now (though that goes up every year). I used to joke that I could flip burgers at McDs and still pay my taxes and bills.
"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome."

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:14 am

Smart mam ph64.

That idea that you need debt as a tax cover is stupid. Assets are good, but they are not assets til they are paid for.

Everyone I ever met who is financially set have one thing in common. They have their home paid for.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:33 am

Things keep working out for my family, lately.

Not only do I get my first house, but I took a job as IT director of the local Christian college.

Neat.