Total votes: 13

Montegriffo

Re: Poll: What is the most overrated sport

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:12 am

Hastur wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:54 am
StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:42 am
That's the one thing soccer actually does right, only uses video reviews to determine whether a goal was or wasn't scored, hockey should go back to that.
Not true. They use it for four different situations.
  • Goal/no goal – attacking team commits an offence, ball out of play, ball entering goal, offside, handball, offences and encroachment during penalty kicks.
  • Penalty/no penalty – defending team commits an offence, ball out of play, location of offence, incorrect awarding, offence not penalised.
  • Direct red card – denial of obvious goal-scoring opportunity, serious foul play, violent conduct/biting/spitting, using offensive/insulting/abusive language or gestures. All straight red cards are subject to review.
  • Mistaken identity in awarding a red or yellow card.
VAR in soccer is still a new thing. I don't think it's worth the effort as it looks now. It takes away more than it adds. Perhaps it will get better as it progresses.
Ireland wouldn't have been robbed of qualification after Thierry Henry handballed twice to keep the ball in and then scored.
Neither would Maradona have gotten away with his ''hand of God'' goal where he cheated us out of a world cup final.

I'm open-minded about VAR, if it gets rid of some of the more blatant cheating it could be a real positive.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:19 am

The best part about soccer is the hooliganism

I didn't really have much interest until I started hanging with ex-pat Scots at the Rangers club.

The Firm. The Club. My mate Kevin and his Da. His Da is like father in So I Married an Axe Murderer.

We actually call Kevin "Heed", that's his nickname.

Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:20 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:12 am
Hastur wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:54 am
StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:42 am
That's the one thing soccer actually does right, only uses video reviews to determine whether a goal was or wasn't scored, hockey should go back to that.
Not true. They use it for four different situations.
  • Goal/no goal – attacking team commits an offence, ball out of play, ball entering goal, offside, handball, offences and encroachment during penalty kicks.
  • Penalty/no penalty – defending team commits an offence, ball out of play, location of offence, incorrect awarding, offence not penalised.
  • Direct red card – denial of obvious goal-scoring opportunity, serious foul play, violent conduct/biting/spitting, using offensive/insulting/abusive language or gestures. All straight red cards are subject to review.
  • Mistaken identity in awarding a red or yellow card.
VAR in soccer is still a new thing. I don't think it's worth the effort as it looks now. It takes away more than it adds. Perhaps it will get better as it progresses.
Ireland wouldn't have been robbed of qualification after Thierry Henry handballed twice to keep the ball in and then scored.
Neither would Maradona have gotten away with his ''hand of God'' goal where he cheated us out of a world cup final.

I'm open-minded about VAR, if it gets rid of some of the more blatant cheating it could be a real positive.
VAR seems to have worked fine from what I've seen from it thus far, but it's a small sample size, because I don't watch much soccer. Video review is pretty dumb, but when it comes to judging whether a goal was or wasn't scored, that's where it does the least damage.
*yip*

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:46 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:19 am
The best part about soccer is the hooliganism

I didn't really have much interest until I started hanging with ex-pat Scots at the Rangers club.

The Firm. The Club. My mate Kevin and his Da. His Da is like father in So I Married an Axe Murderer.

We actually call Kevin "Heed", that's his nickname.

I am not a soccer fan by any means. I think it sucks to watch. But I do respect the culture.

Civic nationalists ramped up this commercialized sports system after the second world war to subvert tribalism, and then when feminism became the dominant ideology it was twisted into a substitute for masculinity. But it's absolutely fucking hilarious that soccer hooligans exist in open defiance, throwing bananas at Africans and just acting like gangsters on the streets. LMFAO

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:50 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:46 pm

I am not a soccer fan by any means. I think it sucks to watch. But I do respect the culture.

Civic nationalists ramped up this commercialized sports system after the second world war to subvert tribalism, and then when feminism became the dominant ideology it was twisted into a substitute for masculinity. But it's absolutely fucking hilarious that soccer hooligans exist in open defiance, throwing bananas at Africans and just acting like gangsters on the streets. LMFAO
Exactly. It doesn't really matter that much what the score is between Rangers and Celtic.

What you get to experience is tribalism as it was before they Nerfed the World.

It's tribal war, it's dangerous, you have to back your tribe, and then you are not safe, but that's the thrill of it.

It's like you're a republican Papist, so Celtic is your team, I'm a Protestant Unionist, so Rangers is my team.
Nec Aspera Terrent

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:06 am

Soccer is goddamn boring. And every American that watches it is insufferable.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:32 am

even when i was a kid in youth sports i could recognize that soccer sucked. i quit playing because it was too much running, constantly back and forth and back and forth and forth and back and back and forth

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:50 am

pineapplemike wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:32 am
even when i was a kid in youth sports i could recognize that soccer sucked. i quit playing because it was too much running, constantly back and forth and back and forth and forth and back and back and forth
It's a good game for busy suburban moms. Drop the kids off so they can run for a few hours every day.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:47 pm

I don't watch any sport, but I have to say that Soccer is most overrated simply because it's by far the most popular. I realized the purpose of pro sports while working in factory at 18. It's to give people whose lives are boring and whose work is mind numbing something that actually changes from day to day.

I read an SF short story many years ago, “The National Pastime,” by Norman Spinrad, where they invented a new football league with no pads, almost no rules, and the teams weren't localities, they were demographic sector, the games were played wherever the number crunchers said was the place most likely to explode, and fan on fan casualties were part of the scoring.
“This way, we got a team for the spades, a team for the frustrated Middle Americans, a team for the hippies and kids, a team for the spics, a team for the faggots, and a team for the motorcycle nuts and violence freaks.”
It was a little like Rollerball. Now there was a SF movie that was prescient.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:24 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:47 pm
I realized the purpose of pro sports while working in factory at 18. It's to give people whose lives are boring and whose work is mind numbing something that actually changes from day to day.
Why do people think this? I'm not a huge sports fan, but they aren't some conspiracy to pacify people. It turns out people like playing sports and watching them for entertainment. Who cares? Are reading books pointless because they're enjoyable? Or because they engage the mind, they're somehow superior? That's some puritan nonsense. It's great that people are into sports, even if only watching them.