Re: Poll: What is the most overrated sport

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:46 am

StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:40 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:38 am
StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:36 am
Hockey is the most underrated sport, but not in Canada, in Canada it's the most overrated sport.
They're ruining hockey tho, I find hockey to boring now too, soft as warm baby shit, and video review has ruined it,
Yeah but they are ruining or have ruined every sport, so I grade on a curve.
But hockey has been radically changed, other sports not as much, hockey is totally different,

Went from being the most violent sport to not being violent at all.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:48 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:46 am
StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:38 am

They're ruining hockey tho, I find hockey to boring now too, soft as warm baby shit, and video review has ruined it,
But hockey has been radically changed, other sports not as much, hockey is totally different,

The same can be said of football, but both hockey and football are still considerably more violent than baseball, basketball or soccer, even if they have changed more than those sports have. They may have been more ruined, but they started from such a height they are still superior despite that.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:50 am

StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:48 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:

The same can be said of football, but both hockey and football are still considerably more violent than baseball, basketball or soccer, even if they have changed more than those sports have.
But I never liked those non violent sports, I only liked hockey and football, baseball, basketball and soccer are boring.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:54 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:50 am
StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

The same can be said of football, but both hockey and football are still considerably more violent than baseball, basketball or soccer, even if they have changed more than those sports have.
But I never liked those non violent sports, I only liked hockey and football, baseball, basketball and soccer are boring.
When it comes to violence, actual combat sports like MMA have filled that void. But I still hockey and football, even though I hate the NFL and NHL for ruining them more and more with each passing year, perhaps at some point they will fuck them up to where I no longer care about them, but until then, I'll keep enjoying it while cursing those leagues for mismanaging the product.
Last edited by StCapps on Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:54 am

StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:42 am
That's the one thing soccer actually does right, only uses video reviews to determine whether a goal was or wasn't scored, hockey should go back to that.
Not true. They use it for four different situations.
  • Goal/no goal – attacking team commits an offence, ball out of play, ball entering goal, offside, handball, offences and encroachment during penalty kicks.
  • Penalty/no penalty – defending team commits an offence, ball out of play, location of offence, incorrect awarding, offence not penalised.
  • Direct red card – denial of obvious goal-scoring opportunity, serious foul play, violent conduct/biting/spitting, using offensive/insulting/abusive language or gestures. All straight red cards are subject to review.
  • Mistaken identity in awarding a red or yellow card.
VAR in soccer is still a new thing. I don't think it's worth the effort as it looks now. It takes away more than it adds. Perhaps it will get better as it progresses.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:57 am

Hastur wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:54 am
StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:42 am
That's the one thing soccer actually does right, only uses video reviews to determine whether a goal was or wasn't scored, hockey should go back to that.
Not true. They use it for four different situations.
  • Goal/no goal – attacking team commits an offence, ball out of play, ball entering goal, offside, handball, offences and encroachment during penalty kicks.
  • Penalty/no penalty – defending team commits an offence, ball out of play, location of offence, incorrect awarding, offence not penalised.
  • Direct red card – denial of obvious goal-scoring opportunity, serious foul play, violent conduct/biting/spitting, using offensive/insulting/abusive language or gestures. All straight red cards are subject to review.
  • Mistaken identity in awarding a red or yellow card.
VAR in soccer is still a new thing. I don't think it's worth the effort as it looks now. It takes away more than it adds. Perhaps it will get better as it progresses.
Well they should go back to just goal/no goal, though for a penalty kick isn't that bad either. For the red card thing they should just leave that to refs judgement. Still the use of video review is better in soccer than most sports, from what I've seen. Mostly because it's very rarely used, the more it gets used the worse it gets and other sports use it more.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:00 am

StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:
When it comes to violence, actual combat sports like MMA have filled that void. But I still hockey and football, even though I hate the NFL and NHL for ruining them more and more with each passing year, perhaps at some point they will fuck them up to where I no longer care about them, but until then, I'll keep enjoying it while cursing those leagues for mismanaging the product.
But I don't care that much who wins fights because I don't gamble

Hockey was a combination of having a firm as in soccer, hard hitting like football, with real fights on top.

Wendel Clark is the ultimate hockey player to me, not Gretzky.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:05 am

The best part about soccer is the Firm. Kill and die for your team.

That's why I don't have a Premiership team, only Rangers.

Hockey has that as well, I don't so much like hockey as the Leafs are my home town Firm.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:07 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:00 am
StCapps wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

Hockey was a combination of having a firm as in soccer, hard hitting like football, with real fights on top.

I liked fights long before I started gambling on them, though betting on them does spice it up. I went years without betting a fight before I got into the gambling aspect of it.

Hockey is still better than other stick and ball sports at blending firm, hard hitting and real fights, though it's lost a lot of that which is disappointing.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:11 am

StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:07 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:00 am
StCapps wrote:

I liked fights long before I started gambling on them, though betting on them does spice it up. I went years without betting a fight before I got into the gambling aspect of it.

Hockey is still better than other stick and ball sports at blending firm, hard hitting and real fights, though it's lost a lot of that which is disappointing.
Growing up I just rooted for Ali. Ali Bumaye, I was more of an Ali fan than a boxing fan, but my dad got me into the history of it while I was rooting for the Champ. He was huge in the 70's, larger than life.
Nec Aspera Terrent