The Space War Thread

TheReal_ND

Re: The Space War Thread

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:17 am

I like the esprit de corps. I like the Armageddon battles. I like the odds stacked against 1000:1 and dying in the mud with Glory and Honor for the God Emperor of Mankind.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:22 am

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:25 am

I'm interested in postulating what war in space would actually be like, with some space opera aspects.

If it's too much hard sci, it gets dry, if it's not enough hard sci, it becomes fantasy not sci fi.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:42 am

Rather than superimposing earth war into space, I start with why, where and what?

Why are they fighting? Where are they fighting? What are they fighting for?

The nature of space alters the nature of war.

It's like in Space Opera, generally naval war or air war is fought in space.

But space is not like sailing and space is not like flying, space is falling, and it has its own dynamics.

No water, no air, the vacuum is not like anything on earth.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:43 am

Well let's see, we have the armor down but you don't have the troops down. In the future of the grim dark Galaxy there will be billions of humans in any one hive city. The reality will be that wars will be fought on unimaginable scales. The equipment will be out of scale to anything we can imagine. Like walking Titans five times the height of the tallest buildings we know of fielding devasting weaponry. Millions and millions of troops mobilized however the imperium feels fit in any sector. Ships the size of cities with planet devasting weaponry. Xenos threats unlike anything we can imagine. The future is war and unrelenting at that.

It's not going to be little zippy things darting around it's going to be iron fronts of steel pulvarizing each other. I simply disagree with you there. Naval warfare will be close in and brutal happening quickly with thousands of lives ended every second and that's the easy part of war, never mind what happens in the trenches

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:46 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:43 am
Well let's see, we have the armor down but you don't have the troops down. In the future of the grim dark Galaxy there will be billions of humans in any one hive city. The reality will be that wars will be fought on unimaginable scales. The equipment will be out of scale to anything we can imagine.
I don't know about that, space is empty, it's vast, and it's not conducive to population growth neither.

I think it will be the opposite, very small populations living very far apart.

It's actually a challenge to come up with plot device in order to have a war in space.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:49 am

Space is the final frontier, not a mega city. Space Western not Space Metropolis.
*yip*

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:53 am

Well like, that's just your opinion man. Any number of our solar system planets or moons could be made into habitats of one kind or another. The thing you have to overcome is traveling vast distances of space in relative short periods of time. We already have the tech to do that for close neighbors like Mars I think but that's beside the point we need to be able to jump around. That's where sci-fi will become a reality.

Once you close the gap of interstellar travel war becomes quick and brutal even if it takes decades or centuries to come to fruition.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:55 am

StCapps wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:49 am
Space is the final frontier, not a mega city. Space Western not Space Metropolis.
There could be cities of sorts, but I think those would actually be artificial habitats

For example you may have a planet which is resource rich, but not conducive to life.

So instead of living on the planet, you live in orbit around it.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:56 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:55 am
StCapps wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:49 am
There could be cities of sorts, but I think those would actually be artificial habitats

For example you may have planet which is resource rich, but not conducive to life.

So instead of living on the planet, you live in orbit around it.
I'm sure there will be some cities, but Space is going to a lot more rural and a lot less urbanized than Earth. Like you say, very small populations living very far apart.
*yip*