The Space War Thread

TheReal_ND

Re: The Space War Thread

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:04 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:16 pm
Gundam's are cool, but they are also logical.

Wearable Spaceship. Giant Spacesuit.

The only dated thing about them is the cockpit, obviously you wouldn't fly it, you'd be operating by VR.
You have to interface it with your nervous system. I think it would be best done in the flesh as it were. Either way, you would likely be in mortal peril

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:08 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:04 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:16 pm
Gundam's are cool, but they are also logical.

Wearable Spaceship. Giant Spacesuit.

The only dated thing about them is the cockpit, obviously you wouldn't fly it, you'd be operating by VR.
You have to interface it with your nervous system. I think it would be best done in the flesh as it were. Either way, you would likely be in mortal peril
This solves a key problem for me in sci fi, which is a preponderance of aliens.

Yes, there are 200 billion galaxies each with 200 billion stars, so there are aliens, mathematically there has to be.

But space-time is so vast, the odds of meeting one are infinitesimally small. It's not just distance, it's time.

So whenever alien creatures are thrown in willy nilly, I just roll my eyes.

However, bio-engineering allows for aliens to be made by man, or for man to become alien like.

So rather than aliens, I prefer engineered monsters.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:15 pm

Well typically everything is limited to just our own Galaxy because the distance is just too vast even with warp travel to contemplate intergalactic travel. It is usually hinted at being possible like in Ian M Banks' The Algebraist or in WH40k where rogue traders are rumored to attempt the voyage or the tyranids are suspected to have done so already to reach out Galaxy.

I think the Galaxy is big enough I don't find it necessary to include other ones.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:18 pm

In WH40k it's suspected that most of the currently existing races were engineered during the time of the war in heavens between the old ones and the necrontir and their katan, which were essentially sentient star parasites that were given metal flesh. At any rate that whole thing caused the warp to become chaotic and gave rise to the old gods or rather, demonic entities that have existed since the beginning of time paradoxically

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:25 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:15 pm
Well typically everything is limited to just our own Galaxy because the distance is just too vast even with warp travel to contemplate intergalactic travel. It is usually hinted at being possible like in Ian M Banks' The Algebraist or in WH40k where rogue traders are rumored to attempt the voyage or the tyranids are suspected to have done so already to reach out Galaxy.

I think the Galaxy is big enough I don't find it necessary to include other ones.
Well I'm sure they are lots of slugs and shrimps and centipedes and whatnot, but not Klingons.

Alien flora and fauna is probably quite common, alien intelligence not so much.

More plausible is that people become alien to one another by transhumanism

So when we meet the aliens, it's actually us

We just don't recognize them anymore, because they've engineered themselves.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:36 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:18 pm
In WH40k it's suspected that most of the currently existing races were engineered during the time of the war in heavens between the old ones and the necrontir and their katan, which were essentially sentient star parasites that were given metal flesh. At any rate that whole thing caused the warp to become chaotic and gave rise to the old gods or rather, demonic entities that have existed since the beginning of time paradoxically
I prefer more plausible than that.

I don't need it to be absolutely hard sci-fi, but if you deviate too far from hard sci fi, if you jettison plausibility, it becomes fairy's and unicorns by default.

It's like the Matrix, superman is totally implausible, ah, unless it is all in VR, now it makes sense.

If it doesn't make sense, if there is no plausible basis to it, my eyes glaze over.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:58 pm

WH40k is basically fantasy carried over into space opera in a way. Mind you it started as a table top miniature wargame based off of Warhammer, a high fantasy themed war game. It was supposed to be a one time spin-off and was supposed to be ironic, "look at these fascist religious zealot humans going around hammering everything" but it became unironically cool. The people that started Games Workshop are a bunch of leftist atheists from Britain. The whole thing was supposed to be like a judge dredd spoof, a grim dark future full of ignorant people, backwards theology and war. These creators are still around and post on social media. The WH40k community is really exceptional. They are die hard fans despite games workshop. GW goes out of their way to try and make it more sjw but the fans just keep trucking on and play up all the stuff that was supposed to be ironic. It's ironic to the creators but the fans subverted them. It's up to the fans going forward to subvert the WH40k universe into being the right wing reactionary space opera everyone loves it for.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:03 am

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:09 am

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:10 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:58 pm
It's ironic to the creators but the fans subverted them. It's up to the fans going forward to subvert the WH40k universe into being the right wing reactionary space opera everyone loves it for.
I like it, but not really my style.

I can get with the epic conflict of space opera, but I still lean more towards hard sci fi

I like the sci, I like my science fiction to be scientific.
Nec Aspera Terrent