When is it rude to tell someone their beliefs are false?

Always. One should always strive to respect each other's beliefs, no matter what they are.
No votes
When the beliefs are religious or cultural.
43%
Never.
57%

Total votes: 7

StCapps

Re: When is it rude to tell someone their beliefs are false?

Post by StCapps » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:40 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:56 am
No one is forcing you to wear a dress or suck their cock. Why does the right care so much about what goes on in other people's bedrooms?
Smacks of insecurity if you ask me.
I've only known 2 trannies, one is a dickhead the other is a really nice person.
I base my opinion on them based on their personalities not what clothes they wear. Only one of them is gay.
No one in this thread said they care what goes on in other people's bedrooms, but we did say live and let live.

Stop demonizing people with stupid strawmen of their positions, it smacks of insecurity if you ask me.
*yip*

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:49 am

BjornP wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:16 am

So, I've participated in and seen lots of ridicule over SJW positions like the whole transpersons thing alot here over the years. Yet when a member criticizes someone else's religious beliefs or some other deeply held beliefs, both the person whose beliefs are ridiculed AND several other forumgoers, will remark or react in a way as if the one mocking the other forumgoer's beliefs was way out of line.

To me, this is simply a case of, or version of the: "Home is always right"/"You don't shit where you sleep" sort of mentality. A sense that you are supposed to respect the members of your community, where the community is this forum.

But there's always something that struck me with Americans, a sort of historically unspoken compact between them that says: "You have your beliefs, I have mine, and since a nation of immigrants from all over the world will have dozens of beliefs, we best stay clear of criticizing each other's beliefs. To keep the peace between us."

SJW mentality is, I think, targeted as wrong because of the way it harrasses people who don't accept their beliefs, or seeks to create laws that force others to make their beliefs what everyone wants to follow, but what if they did not act like that? What if some transgender guy simply said: "I am a woman, despite looking like a male and having a dick", and he didn't insist you believe in his claim?

Would you still tell him and/or anyone else that his beliefs about what he is or isn't, is wrong? Or would you consider that disrespectful, a breach of the same unspoken compact I've alluded to earlier? IOW, treat transgenders like you'd treat a member of a religion you didn't follow but you'd feel you owe respect to another individual's personal beliefs?

I personally like to think that that whole, "You can't criticize someone else's personal beliefs" mentality, is what gave rise to the SJW crowd. If you have to tip-toe to protect everyone's feelings all the time, if you can't simply say: "Nope, that's simply not true" when someone remarks that what they believe in, is wrong, false, incorrect, non-factual or else risk they get offended... then isn't it natural that that sentiment should carry over into every loonybin type beliefs there might be?

Anyway, the question is aimed more at answering how one should react in a particular, hypothetical individual-to-individual social situation where you've come across someone with personal beliefs that you know for a fact are absolutely wrong, but where the untruth is clearly taken as truth by the other person.
It's clear to me that you want to tell us that Jesus condones sodomy when it is not the case at all. Idk what kind of Church you go to but I recommend you find a better congregation. The rainbow flag is an affront to our covenant with God

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:04 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:49 am
It's clear to me that you want to tell us that Jesus condones sodomy when it is not the case at all. Idk what kind of Church you go to but I recommend you find a better congregation. The rainbow flag is an affront to our covenant with God
That's between the rainbow flag crowd and god, it is not an affront to your covenant with god.
*yip*

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:06 am

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:19 am

StCapps wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:40 am
Montegriffo wrote:
No one is forcing you to wear a dress or suck their cock. Why does the right care so much about what goes on in other people's bedrooms?
I've only known 2 trannies, one is a dickhead the other is a really nice person.
I base my opinion on them based on their personalities not what clothes they wear. Only one of them is gay.
No one in this thread said they care what goes on in other people's bedrooms, but we did say live and let live.

Stop demonizing people with stupid strawmen of their positions, it smacks of insecurity if you ask me.
Oh please, every time you use derogatory language like faggot you are refusing to live and let live.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:21 am

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:22 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:19 am
StCapps wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

Oh please, every time you use derogatory language like faggot you are refusing to live and let live.
Oh please, there is nothing wrong with the word faggot, faggot. I can use a word that some overly sensitive people find offensive and still live and let live moron. You Brits use the word all the time, and only morons go around pretending that they think it means you all hate the gays. You can shove your PC police attitude up your ass sodomy style.
Last edited by StCapps on Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:26 am

The answer to the poll is "never." If faggots think it's ok to indoctrinate children at the local library then there is never a rude time to do the Christian thing of calling them filthy sodomites that are an affront to nature.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:36 am

StCapps wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:22 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:19 am
StCapps wrote:

Oh please, there is nothing wrong with the word faggot, faggot. I can use a word that some overly sensitive people find offensive and still live and let live moron. You Brits use the word all the time, and only morons go around pretending that they think it means you all hate the gays. You can shove your PC police attitude up your ass sodomy style.
You use faggot to cause offense. That is the definition of derogatory.
It is the opposite of live and let live.
Synonyms for derogatory

defamatory
degrading
demeaning
disparaging
sarcastic
slanderous
unflattering
aspersing
belittling
calumnious
censorious
contumelious
critical
damaging
decrying
deprecatory
depreciative
despiteful
detracting
disdainful
dishonoring
fault-finding
humiliating
injurious
malevolent
malicious
maligning
minimizing
opprobrious
reproachful
scornful
slighting
spiteful
unfavorable
vilifying
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:39 am

faggot

Faggot is an offensive slang term for a gay man. Though it originally (and more harmlessly) meant "a bundle of sticks," the word faggot should be used very carefully or avoided completely.

Faggot is an extremely offensive word for a homosexual (gay) man. This is word that has been used to make gay men ashamed of themselves. It may be hard to believe, but faggot also means to tie or bind together, especially a bunch of sticks. It's safe to say the insulting meaning of this word has caused other meanings to become rare.
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/faggot
live and let live
said to mean that people should accept the way other people live and behave, especially if they do things in a different way
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... d-let-live