When is it rude to tell someone their beliefs are false?

Always. One should always strive to respect each other's beliefs, no matter what they are.
No votes
When the beliefs are religious or cultural.
43%
Never.
57%

Total votes: 7

pineapplemike

Re: When is it rude to tell someone their beliefs are false?

Post by pineapplemike » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:56 am

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:27 am

I somehow missed this thread. Wow! That was a stupendous amount of spam to wade through.

Annyhow...
BjornP wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:16 am

So, I've participated in and seen lots of ridicule over SJW positions like the whole transpersons thing alot here over the years. Yet when a member criticizes someone else's religious beliefs or some other deeply held beliefs, both the person whose beliefs are ridiculed AND several other forumgoers, will remark or react in a way as if the one mocking the other forumgoer's beliefs was way out of line.

To me, this is simply a case of, or version of the: "Home is always right"/"You don't shit where you sleep" sort of mentality. A sense that you are supposed to respect the members of your community, where the community is this forum.

But there's always something that struck me with Americans, a sort of historically unspoken compact between them that says: "You have your beliefs, I have mine, and since a nation of immigrants from all over the world will have dozens of beliefs, we best stay clear of criticizing each other's beliefs. To keep the peace between us."

SJW mentality is, I think, targeted as wrong because of the way it harrasses people who don't accept their beliefs, or seeks to create laws that force others to make their beliefs what everyone wants to follow, but what if they did not act like that? What if some transgender guy simply said: "I am a woman, despite looking like a male and having a dick", and he didn't insist you believe in his claim?

Would you still tell him and/or anyone else that his beliefs about what he is or isn't, is wrong? Or would you consider that disrespectful, a breach of the same unspoken compact I've alluded to earlier? IOW, treat transgenders like you'd treat a member of a religion you didn't follow but you'd feel you owe respect to another individual's personal beliefs?

I personally like to think that that whole, "You can't criticize someone else's personal beliefs" mentality, is what gave rise to the SJW crowd. If you have to tip-toe to protect everyone's feelings all the time, if you can't simply say: "Nope, that's simply not true" when someone remarks that what they believe in, is wrong, false, incorrect, non-factual or else risk they get offended... then isn't it natural that that sentiment should carry over into every loonybin type beliefs there might be?

Anyway, the question is aimed more at answering how one should react in a particular, hypothetical individual-to-individual social situation where you've come across someone with personal beliefs that you know for a fact are absolutely wrong, but where the untruth is clearly taken as truth by the other person.
"The special mark of the modern world is not that it is skeptical, but that it is dogmatic without knowing it. The moderns believe without knowing what they believe—and without even knowing that they do believe it." - G. K. Chesterton

"Bad faith changes everything." If there is no chance that the other person will change their mind, what is the point of arguing? Is it just to signal to others that you are in opposition? You are not going to change the mind of someone who is ideologically possessed.

To them there isn't a debate about who is right or wrong. It's not about free speech either. They don't think free speech exists. There is only different representatives trying to exert power by using language to further the interests of their particular group. They are opposed to the entire idea of individuality so to them it's totally logical to just try to get the opponents to shut up. It's all about group identity and intersectionality.

You should listen to this little discussion. It's available as a podcast as well.

And this

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:34 am

It's not spam it's just posts you don't like

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:45 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:34 am
It's not spam it's just posts you don't like
Indeed. This is just hanging around in Mary Hash's basement.

Some people around here seem to be under the delusion that they are posting to the masses for perpetuity.

When really it's just ten dudes or so having cocktails and shooting the breeze.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:51 am

Hastur wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:27 am
I somehow missed this thread. Wow! That was a stupendous amount of spam to wade through.

Annyhow...
BjornP wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:16 am

So, I've participated in and seen lots of ridicule over SJW positions like the whole transpersons thing alot here over the years. Yet when a member criticizes someone else's religious beliefs or some other deeply held beliefs, both the person whose beliefs are ridiculed AND several other forumgoers, will remark or react in a way as if the one mocking the other forumgoer's beliefs was way out of line.

To me, this is simply a case of, or version of the: "Home is always right"/"You don't shit where you sleep" sort of mentality. A sense that you are supposed to respect the members of your community, where the community is this forum.

But there's always something that struck me with Americans, a sort of historically unspoken compact between them that says: "You have your beliefs, I have mine, and since a nation of immigrants from all over the world will have dozens of beliefs, we best stay clear of criticizing each other's beliefs. To keep the peace between us."

SJW mentality is, I think, targeted as wrong because of the way it harrasses people who don't accept their beliefs, or seeks to create laws that force others to make their beliefs what everyone wants to follow, but what if they did not act like that? What if some transgender guy simply said: "I am a woman, despite looking like a male and having a dick", and he didn't insist you believe in his claim?

Would you still tell him and/or anyone else that his beliefs about what he is or isn't, is wrong? Or would you consider that disrespectful, a breach of the same unspoken compact I've alluded to earlier? IOW, treat transgenders like you'd treat a member of a religion you didn't follow but you'd feel you owe respect to another individual's personal beliefs?

I personally like to think that that whole, "You can't criticize someone else's personal beliefs" mentality, is what gave rise to the SJW crowd. If you have to tip-toe to protect everyone's feelings all the time, if you can't simply say: "Nope, that's simply not true" when someone remarks that what they believe in, is wrong, false, incorrect, non-factual or else risk they get offended... then isn't it natural that that sentiment should carry over into every loonybin type beliefs there might be?

Anyway, the question is aimed more at answering how one should react in a particular, hypothetical individual-to-individual social situation where you've come across someone with personal beliefs that you know for a fact are absolutely wrong, but where the untruth is clearly taken as truth by the other person.
"The special mark of the modern world is not that it is skeptical, but that it is dogmatic without knowing it. The moderns believe without knowing what they believe—and without even knowing that they do believe it." - G. K. Chesterton

"Bad faith changes everything." If there is no chance that the other person will change their mind, what is the point of arguing? Is it just to signal to others that you are in opposition? You are not going to change the mind of someone who is ideologically possessed.

To them there isn't a debate about who is right or wrong. It's not about free speech either. They don't think free speech exists. There is only different representatives trying to exert power by using language to further the interests of their particular group. They are opposed to the entire idea of individuality so to them it's totally logical to just try to get the opponents to shut up. It's all about group identity and intersectionality.

You should listen to this little discussion. It's available as a podcast as well.

And this

Didn't even read this WOT, not listening to those lame ass podcasts.

Start a pol, Niggah.

There's barely anybody left on this forum, the only reason to be here is to drink and have fun.

Preaching to the choir? Who are you even arguing to? Brewster da Joo?
Nec Aspera Terrent

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:33 am

Bad poll choices. It's "rude" when there's no context. The left has made instigating a lifestyle and then feigns being oppressed when people fight back. Stay out of our lives and we won't care. You don't get to control speech through legislation, imprisonment, and rioting because "my mental health suffers because I know people disapprove of my choices." I don't care if you think you're a woman, but I think you're mentally ill. Your quest to indoctrinate and turn children into transgendereds is overstepping and you shouldn't be surprised when people fight back.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:07 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:33 am
Bad poll choices. It's "rude" when there's no context. The left has made instigating a lifestyle and then feigns being oppressed when people fight back. Stay out of our lives and we won't care. You don't get to control speech through legislation, imprisonment, and rioting because "my mental health suffers because I know people disapprove of my choices." I don't care if you think you're a woman, but I think you're mentally ill. Your quest to indoctrinate and turn children into transgendereds is overstepping and you shouldn't be surprised when people fight back.
By all means, fight back, but this is Marty Hash's digital basement, who are you fighting here?

This is not a battlefield, this is not congress, nobody is even reading this.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:12 pm

Like, we didn't jump on this lifeboat to perpetuate the DCF

The DCF is dead and its not coming back.

We just jumped over here so we could hang out in another virtual pub.

CNN does not read your posts, I am not Don Lemon, who are you even arguing with?

What don't you just relax and have a drink? The enemies of freedom don't hang out here.

Technically, the purpose of this forum is to discuss Marty Hash and his ideas

If you're not doing that, you're off topic anyways.

I'm here to hang out with Marty Hash, there's no need to preach to the choir in Marty's basement.
Nec Aspera Terrent

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:26 pm

Just responding to the poll, still free to do that on MHF as far as I can tell. Sadly, Monty is the only one that wants to play, so the pickings are slim. From what I gleaned, you're ready to hang faggots from lamposts, so I'm not sure what your angle is.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:35 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:26 pm
Just responding to the poll, still free to do that on MHF as far as I can tell. Sadly, Monty is the only one that wants to play, so the pickings are slim. From what I gleaned, you're ready to hang faggots from lamposts, so I'm not sure what your angle is.
America is a religion. I've taken up the faith.

If it comes to war, I will fight. Hang the traitors to the republic, hang em high.

That being said, the State Militia's are not mobilized. Thus, smoke em' if you got em'.

I'm relaxed in the saddle, near as I can tell, America is winning, so I am quite confident and content.
Nec Aspera Terrent