why are scandis so polite?

BjornP

Re: why are scandis so polite?

Post by BjornP » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:26 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:52 am

Anyway I am off topic I want to learn the secrets of nord politeness. I think all I have done was screech about how pissed off I am. You know another thing nords typically do? They make things or fix things. They keep calm and just fix it without expecting anything in return. Magical people to me at least.
Not sure if it will work, given I don't know what sort of community/neighbourhood you live in or nearby, but I'd say the key to what you call "nord politeness" is simply having a high degree of trust in your community or society. If you expect that your neighbour is your enemy, that he will cheat you, rape you, murder you or that his political party will throw you in jail for thought-crimes, you're not going to trust them. If you expect that he will help you if your car breaks down on a country road, if you expect your neighbour will call the fire brigade if your house's on fire, if you expect he might help you if you ask him to help you fix your barn if you offer him some beer and steak, then you know you're just a little more safe. And without an expectation of always being threatened by, always being in competition with, your neighbour... you will feel less threatened, more calm. At least, that'd be my take on it. It depends on how you interact with your neighbours, coworkers, etc. I seem to recall, that you were on good terms with the Mexicans you work with, even if you're a racist in the classical sense (which is not an accusation in this context).
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:00 am

All true Americans love and admire Scandinavia.

Pre-commie Scandinavia was/is a model for pre-federal city America.

Eastern Europeans come in second, then maybe the Krauts. The Mediterranean crew is good for dinner, at least.

We'll take the Swedes pushing it up the ice, Ekholm to Jarnkrok to Forsberg to Arvi. The Fins will erect the wall, Pekka on Friday, Juuse on Saturday, rinse and repeat.

The Danes can play the American/Italian music all night long.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:19 am

For great covers, see these Finnish hill billies.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:10 am

The King's choice is a good film. A 2016 Norwegian/Swedish collaboration about the Nazi invasion and the King's refusal to agree to their surrender terms (the acceptance of Quisling as PM).
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:56 am

All these jurisdictions which have reputation in America for being "polite" are actually priggish.

Self righteous, moralistic and superior.

Thus why my derogatory term for Canadians is "Prigs"

Smug, sneering, snobbery.

In America, that is impolite.

Canada is cold. America is warm. It's not just the weather.

The medium is the message, Marshall McLuhan.

Americans are plain spoken, open, upstanding and friendly, until you cross them.

Canadians are frosty, if they don't know you, they are aloof, cliquish; "thank you, fuck off"

In Canada, I roll like an American, plain spoken, outgoing, gregarious, fearless.

Makes the Canadians uncomfortable, they recoil from it.

Canadian "politeness" is actually fear; fear of saying "the wrong thing". It's meekness not niceness.

Speech banning, gun grabbing, holier than thou Prigs. Prohibition is force, that's not polite.

Canadians are two faced, Canada has a Janus Face; frosty smile to your face, holding a knife behind its back.

Everything in Canada is driven by a deeply ingrained fear of America, it makes them mean, fear is the mind killer.
Nec Aspera Terrent

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:31 pm

BjornP wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:32 am
And just for the record, Nuke, I am much more polite when I debate with other Danes, no matter their political views. It's simply easier to have a political, philosophical/ethical/religious/etc. discussion with a fellow Dane (for me, at least) than it is with an American. When I go to this forum, I adapt to how it works.
So, when I read what you write, I should be thinking that this is the mean side of you? I mean, you're pretty level headed and from what I can tell, a nice guy. I now wonder about the calm and composed Bjorn. Must be like a rug on valium.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:41 am

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-new ... t-20535247\

Norway is back on the list of fucked up places.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:43 am

Good for her
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:14 am

Eating your beloved pet is unacceptable.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:06 am

Horses are not pets.
At least if she's full of horse she'll eat less whale.