Re: why are scandis so polite?

Post by Manwithnoname » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:52 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:40 am
Manwithnoname wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:36 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:31 am
In the early stages, they're not out to break you. They need recruits, they need people to pass.

In the testing phase, they're just weeding out the posers, the guys who aren't serious.
What I was saying in different words. Testing might have been a better way to say it. They want boys they can turn into men, not men that want to go home. It's like you are saying about not trying to be a superman. Just don't quit.
The difficulty increases as you go, but you're doing pt all day every day, the course is designed to be passable.

It's not like SAS selection, this is just infantry.

There are long marches nearer the end, but you just have to keep up, you don't have to be a racing snake.

it's not like the SAS where you are competing for a tiny number of slots, the Legion has to man a whole brigade.
It's around a 7 in 8 washout. But I'm sure 6 realise quickly that they weren't seeing the movie they thought, and the other one was just a fuckhead. Nuke goes in eyes wide open then he won't be one of the six, and if he takes the advice you gave him he won't be the seventh.
Carlin delenda est

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:56 am

Manwithnoname wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:52 am

It's around a 7 in 8 washout. But I'm sure 6 realise quickly that they weren't seeing the movie they thought, and the other one was just a fuckhead. Nuke goes in eyes wide open then he won't be one of the six, and if he takes the advice you gave him he won't be the seventh.
Exactly,

the washouts are just guys who thought it was going to be glamorous, glorious, super commandos or whatever.

When they find out its just a grind, enduring hardship gladly, those guys are gone early.

The guys who are committed to the infantry, who know what it's about and want to be there, that's the 8th guy.

They have guys going over the wall all the time, not just recruits, trained Legionnaire's are deserting all the time.

They hunt them down, they bring them back, they punish them, then continue the training.

You're sentencing yourself to five years hard labor, that's the reality of it.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Manwithnoname

Post by Manwithnoname » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:59 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:56 am
Manwithnoname wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:52 am

Exactly,

the washouts are just guys who thought it was going to be glamorous, glorious, super commandos or whatever.

When they find out its just a grind, enduring hardship gladly, those guys are gone early.

The guys who are committed to the infantry, who know what it's about and want to be there, that's the 8th guy.

They have guys going over the wall all the time, not just recruits, trained Legionnaire's are deserting all the time.

They hunt them down, they bring them back, they punish them, then continue the training.

You're sentencing yourself to five years hard labor, that's the reality of it.
If I had my time all over again I'd like to know. I reckon I could have been the 8th. I was always too stupid to feel pain, and I got a certain joy out of pushing myself past the limits
Carlin delenda est

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:02 am

Manwithnoname wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:59 am
If I had my time all over again I'd like to know. I reckon I could have been the 8th. I was always too stupid to feel pain, and I got a certain joy out of pushing myself past the limits
It's all about wanting it.

You have to want to be the infantryman, with all the privation which goes with that.

If you want the Kepi Blanc badly enough, nothing will stop you.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Manwithnoname

Post by Manwithnoname » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:09 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:02 am
Manwithnoname wrote:

You have to want to be the infantryman, with all the privation which goes with that.

I did enough to know that doing that worked for me, but I remember seeing a doco where a FFL guy (sorry I don't know the ranks) was showing recruits how to eat a tarantula's arse in case they needed to survive in the desert... and I always wondered... maybe I would have said fuck that... but then again a part of me would have hoped I'd say 'gimme that fucker. I'm not dying here'

Like I said - time all over again... I could think of worse adventures
Carlin delenda est

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:11 am

Manwithnoname wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:09 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:02 am
Manwithnoname wrote:

I did enough to know that doing that worked for me, but I remember seeing a doco where a FFL guy (sorry I don't know the ranks) was showing recruits how to eat a tarantula's arse in case they needed to survive in the desert... and I always wondered... maybe I would have said fuck that... but then again a part of me would have hoped I'd say 'gimme that fucker. I'm not dying here'

Like I said - time all over again... I could think of worse adventures
You're an Aussie. You'd go over the top, I have no doubt.

Aussies don't quit, Aussies don't shirk, Aussies don't feel sorry for themselves.

Best soldiers in the world.

Nec Aspera Terrent

Manwithnoname

Post by Manwithnoname » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:19 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVKngijexnw[/youtube]

I could walk you into Arnhem land (NT bad bad land) just carrying a knife, and I'd walk out. You wouldn't. But the same is true in Canada. I doubt I'd last 5 minutes in the wild there. It's not tougher or stronger... it's just playing to the strengths you have and being as resolute as hell on the bits you don't have until you can figure it out.
Carlin delenda est

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:22 am

Manwithnoname wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:19 am

I could walk you into Arnhem land (NT bad bad land) just carrying a knife, and I'd walk out. You wouldn't. But the same is true in Canada. I doubt I'd last 5 minutes in the wild there. It's not tougher or stronger... it's just playing to the strengths you have and being as resolute as hell on the bits you don't have until you can figure it out.
Canada has gone soft, used to be right there with the Aussies, peers, but the Aussies have left Canada in the dust.

Aussies don't need to join the Legion, 2 Commando is better, no need to be 2 REP
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:26 am

I wish I could join the Australian Army, even now, I would wash bottles, be a cook, whatever.

The Diggers are just the best guys to soldier with, the best troops, the most fun.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Manwithnoname

Post by Manwithnoname » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:29 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:22 am
Manwithnoname wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:19 am

Canada has gone soft, used to be right there with the Aussies, peers, but the Aussies have left Canada in the dust.

Aussies don't need to join the Legion, 2 Commando is better, no need to be 2 REP
Nah. I know a few of you guys (and have had fun with a few of your girls). I'd have you in the trenches with me. Might have to put you in the first wave just to see what we were facing, but I reckon chances were that I'd see you six hours later laughing as you'd stolen all the French hookers and aged brandy.
Carlin delenda est