No
25%

Total votes: 12

Montegriffo

Re: poll: was Hitler evil

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:23 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:59 am
It does seem to be the case that Jews somehow made their genocide something special, even though, as bad as it may have been, it hardly ranked anywhere near the worst even in the same period.

What makes the Jewish Holocaust worse than the Soviet communist genocides? Jews were the primary victims, apparently.

I don't think you need to hate on Jews to point out the absurdity of this.
It was the first really well documented, photographed and filmed genocide.
The Soviet and Chinese atrocities were mostly carried out behind closed doors.
It was also a much more defined targetting of a single group rather than just removal of political enemies or not caring that your population was starving.
It was industrialized mass murder of a scapegoated minority, not neglect or political persecution of the population as a whole.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:19 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:23 am

It was also a much more defined targetting of a single group rather than just removal of political enemies or not caring that your population was starving.

It was industrialized mass murder of a scapegoated minority, not neglect or political persecution of the population as a whole.
I mostly agree with that. What puts it over the top is how rabid Jewish folks are about keeping the memory of their people alive. Hey, props to them. They did that. They got deeply involved in media and entertainment and made damn sure no one would ever forget, and made sure Hitler was the greatest villain ever.

I don't hate the Jewish people for doing that. I do dislike that it has overshadowed other tyrants and other victims, and distorted history.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:38 am

Hastur wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:25 am
Hitler came from a generation of Germans that came of age in the trenches of WWI during industrialized slaughter on a scale that was unimaginable to almost anybody who wasn't there. What is the value of a life to someone experienced that?
Generation is the key, it is not Hitler who did the killing, it is not Hitler who did the fighting.

And no, he didn't have mind control powers.

It was a whole generation of revanchists; defeat in the war, collapse of the economy.

In terms of the mass murdering, it was not a single event, it was simply a doctrine.

Hitler didn't press a button and kill millions, it was millions of people killing millions of other people.

In a total war of annihilation where no quarter was given by either side.

The point of vilifying Hitler for everything was to let the German people off the hook.

Because they joined NATO and the Warsaw Pact. Both sides put the Nazis back to work.
Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:45 am
I think that most people would consider King Leopold II evil.
I bet you the vast majority of people outside of Belgium don't even know who he was, no idea what he did.

The Hitler image is created by the mass media which chooses their villains based on clicks.

ZOMG Leopold II is not gonna get many,
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:46 am

C-Mag wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:19 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:23 am

I mostly agree with that. What puts it over the top is how rabid Jewish folks are about keeping the memory of their people alive. Hey, props to them. They did that. They got deeply involved in media and entertainment and made damn sure no one would ever forget, and made sure Hitler was the greatest villain ever.

I don't hate the Jewish people for doing that. I do dislike that it has overshadowed other tyrants and other victims, and distorted history.
Well, that's got a lot to do with living in the West with a relatively free media.
It was a Western nation with many Western victims so it's natural that it is covered in our history and literature more than the Chinese or Russian evils.
If China, and to a lesser degree Russia, ever get the freedom we have to portray historical atrocities then I expect they will have a flood of books, films and documentaries about their suffering.

Also, rabid is rather a pejorative word to use. Would you use it to describe films about the mistreatment of allied prisoners by the Japanese or the treatment of Native Americans by colonisers?
Last edited by Montegriffo on Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:48 am

I have no idea who King Leopold II is.

All I can remember from my public school education is Hitler and Slavery. If they can successfully combine the two into Trump, public schooling will be much simpler for the next generation of teachers and students

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:53 am

pineapplemike wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:48 am

All I can remember from my public school education is Hitler and Slavery. If they can successfully combine the two into Trump, public schooling will be much simpler for the next generation of teachers and students
IRL LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:clap: :dance: :clap:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:54 am

pineapplemike wrote:

He was a madman, look him up some time.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:55 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:54 am
pineapplemike wrote:

He was a madman, look him up some time.
i believe it, if there's one thing dan carlin taught me it's that history is full of madmen

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:56 am

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:58 am

Hitler is Sauron and Leopold is Melkor.

Everybody knows Sauron because of the movies. Nobody knows Melkor who has not actually read the entire set of books. Sauron was subordinate to Melkor. :o

The media pretty much controls the world because they control the NPCs.