Brewing and Fermentation

Montegriffo

Re: Brewing and Fermintation

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:11 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:57 am
The whole kit is about $40 USD.

https://www.homebrewing.org/Highlands-S ... p_567.html

It's like $70 if you add all the options, though, and you still need to buy a fermentation bucket of some kind. I have the siphon and other stuff that came with the wine fermentation kit. Need to reuse the bucket for the next mead batch, though, and the carboy will have this current batch of mead in the second ferment.

Not sure what the fuck I would do with five gallons of Scottish ale, though, if I drink only a few bottles per week.
Good in beef casserole or goulash.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:32 pm

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:57 pm

So I was watching Ken Burn's Prohibition series, something I saw made me want to know how the fuck that ever happened. Interestingly, they make the point again and again it was largely an attack by the rural Anglo Saxons on the city dwelling Catholics and their lifestyle, particularly the Germans & Irish who centered much of the men's social and political lives around the pub. Most of the states and counties that were already dry were very rural, God fearing places. Many of those who voted for it didn't think it would affect them, just those others by shutting down saloons but not stopping good people from enjoying their beverage at home.

I find it fascinating how this whole thing is just another chapter in the American religious and urban-rural culture wars. I originally thought it had way more to do with Suffrage.
Last edited by brewster on Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:00 pm

More accurate: Protestant women attacking men in general, but anti-Catholic sentiment certainly played a secondary role.

All this nanny state shit happened because we foolishly handed women the vote without the requisite obligations.

Kind of outside the thread topic, though.

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:07 pm

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:00 pm
More accurate: Protestant women attacking men in general, but anti-Catholic sentiment certainly played a secondary role.

All this nanny state shit happened because we foolishly handed women the vote without the requisite obligations.

Not true, the women were relatively ineffective, it was the men, particularly Wayne Wheeler and his Anti-Saloon League that gave it legs.

I thought it was topical given the subject of making booze.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:08 pm

brewster wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:07 pm
Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Not true, the women were relatively ineffective, it was the men, particularly Wayne Wheeler and his Anti-Saloon League that gave it legs.

I thought it was topical given the subject of making booze.
If you want to debate this, create a prohibition history thread. Prepare for another red-assing, though.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:53 pm

PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:23 pm

Got most of the ingredients and kit I need to brew some Scottish ale. Need to pick up about 8 gallons of distilled water to start the ale and the next batch of mead. Will sanitize everything and probably start the brewing and the mead tasks at the same time.

The current mead batch needs to be carefully siphoned into a carboy for the second fermentation.

Need to cook the must that will go into the next batch of mead and get that started. Creating the wort for the ale is a lot more difficult so I will do that once the mead starts.

It should take me a week or two to have the ale completed. The first batch of mead is going to ferment for another six months. Then I will siphon it again into a fresh carboy to age (hopefully can taste it next July).

Speaker to Animals

Re: Brewing and Fermentation

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:35 pm

Although, this time around I am going to make a quick mead that I can hopefully back-sweeten and drink in a month or two rather than a year.

The current batch of mead tastes pretty rough, man. I don't know how long you have to age this shit, but I might have put too much honey in there and the yeast just went apeshit.

Haumana

Re: Brewing and Fermentation

Post by Haumana » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:14 pm

I've been stuck watching the Bush Beeman's youtube page for about a week now. Here he is making some Viking mead and he has another where he makes some mead wine.