I'm getting too old to put up with this shit...

Speaker to Animals

Re: I'm getting too old to put up with this shit...

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:29 pm

In general, landlords have a shitty deal. Honestly. It's a bit too shifted towards tenant rights.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:32 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:29 pm
In general, landlords have a shitty deal. Honestly. It's a bit too shifted towards tenant rights.
When you can charge an extreme for a value of a property that is worth 1/2 to 1/3 of what its actually worth...I don't think the landlords have such a bum deal. It cost me 30K to live where I was for a year... that's not a bum deal... that's fucking highway robbery.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:32 pm

When I was a kid, my father rented out some duplexes for extra income. I watched one family of tenants after another trash those places to the point where he was barely getting ahead. Then there are cases where they don't fucking leave. Unfortunately, he wasn't like Martin. If I rented out property, I'd be fair to people, but no way would I put up with some of the shit that goes on.

People have unrealistic expectations in life. Nobody owes you a place to live. You are renting. All the liabilities are on this other person. Most of the tenant laws protect you and not him.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:01 pm

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:32 pm
When I was a kid, my father rented out some duplexes for extra income. I watched one family of tenants after another trash those places to the point where he was barely getting ahead. Then there are cases where they don't fucking leave. Unfortunately, he wasn't like Martin. If I rented out property, I'd be fair to people, but no way would I put up with some of the shit that goes on.

People have unrealistic expectations in life. Nobody owes you a place to live. You are renting. All the liabilities are on this other person. Most of the tenant laws protect you and not him.
I leave places in better conditions than when I came in. I've fixed holes from old tenants, I've replaced lights, I've patched electrical wiring, I've updated plumbing so that it works... I've re-caulked tubs, reset toilets, I've even redone copper piping properly...

I've only asked for money back for repairs.

As for we are owed nothing, yeah we are owed something... we pay a premium to have a place to live, in my case $2500/mo with nothing included. I expect not to have the wind come through the windows when they are closed, I expect the thermostats to work properly, I expect the lights, the plumbing, the hot water, the washing machine, the dryer, the dishwasher all to work properly.

I expect a moniker of decorum... I do not expect to be screwed.
#NotOneRedCent

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:05 pm

Most conflict between landlords and tenants is an artifact of governmental interference like zoning or rent controls.

Take the recent rent control law passed in Oregon. Those cities would not have upward pressure like they do on rents if they allowed developers to build densely. But they want low-density neighborhoods and a green line beyond which can't be developed. Like rent control, it sets up a cage match.

In places with freer development and higher vacancy rates, there is more of a power balance between landlords and tenants, landlords value their tenants, who don't feel trapped and can vote with their feet.

I have no idea who the AG of Massachusetts is, but I doubt they have affected policy on this stuff. In New Jersey it's been in place for decades irrespective of administration.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:22 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:01 pm

I leave places in better conditions than when I came in. I've fixed holes from old tenants, I've replaced lights, I've patched electrical wiring, I've updated plumbing so that it works... I've re-caulked tubs, reset toilets, I've even redone copper piping properly...

As for we are owed nothing, yeah we are owed something... we pay a premium to have a place to live, in my case $2500/mo with nothing included. I expect not to have the wind come through the windows when they are closed, I expect the thermostats to work properly, I expect the lights, the plumbing, the hot water, the washing machine, the dryer, the dishwasher all to work properly.
How many bedrooms? And inside the Boston crescent or outside it?
:royalty-queen:

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:05 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:22 pm
The Conservative wrote:

Far outside, Ft. Devens.

And 2 bedrooms 1.5 baths. 1200 sq ft.

That is the going price, plus we moved there because we had no choice.
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:16 pm

The average 2 bedroom house price around there is $450K

Amortized over thirty years with a 4.5% interest rate, that's $2280 a month.

Buying is cheaper than rent.
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:19 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:16 pm
The average 2 bedroom house price around there is $450K

Amortized over thirty years with a 4.5% interest rate, that's $2280 a month.

Buying is cheaper than rent.
I know, I had a house lined up and everything... down payment, etc.

Was going to cost 1700/mo.

Then because of the seller’s lawyer the property was pulled from under us after we moved in.

We had to find a place quick. In doing so we moved where we are now. (That was a year ago).

My credit was hit hard because of the BS. Dropped over 100 pts.

We are only renting now because we haven’t found a place yet worth moving into.
#NotOneRedCent

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:20 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:05 pm
MilSpecs wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:22 pm
The Conservative wrote:

Far outside, Ft. Devens.

And 2 bedrooms 1.5 baths. 1200 sq ft.

That is the going price, plus we moved there because we had no choice.
You're not far from Leominster. Have you considered that town?
:royalty-queen: