Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Re: MHF - Hockey Thread

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:53 am

StCapps wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:36 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:33 am
Huh, just watching the news and they are showing queues at Costco which are 200 yds long just to get into the store.
I guess the big city dwellers are reacting differently to us out in the sticks.
I wouldn't join a queue that long even if Jennifer Laurence was giving away free blow jobs at the end of it.
Costco and other food wholesalers' stocks must be going through the roof...
I don't need toilet paper right now, but if I did, I'd have a hard time finding it, unless I time a shipment arriving at a store just right. People are being absolutely retarded, there's like two cases in all of Hamilton and the toilet paper sell out in an hour after the shipment arrives all over the place.
Farmer Paul gets the Daily Mail delivered every day so I'm not too worried about running out of TP. Lighting the woodburner and wiping your arse with it is about all it's good for anyway.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:05 pm

I told my wife weeks ago that this was probably going to incite a panic

So she stocked up already, she already stockpiles toilet paper from Costco as SOP, when it's on sale
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:31 pm

Thing is, this isn't even good news for toilet paper manufacturers in the long run. They are running 24/7 at the moment to keep up with demand and this is costing them extra labour at expensive overtime rates. In a few weeks time when the panic dies down people's homes are going to be so overstocked with the stuff that sales will drop dramatically and the manufacturers will go into a TP recession.
The average American uses 100 rolls of TP in a year, the amounts people are buying is insane.
People aren't using dramatically more than usual. The symptoms don't include a runny nose or diarrhoea. It's just a psychological desire to feel like you are doing something and the self-fulfilling prophecy created by empty shelves and the media going on and on about it.
People are dumb and dumb people do dumb things.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:37 pm

Where's our in-house shrink when we need him?
We should put him on a charge for abandoning his post at a time of need and deliberately neglecting his responsibilities.

Locked up in his ivory tower sitting on a throne of bog rolls necking Bollinger and laughing at us all no doubt.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:17 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:31 pm
"There's no such thing as society"
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:47 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:17 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
There is, but they are dumb all over and maybe even a little ugly on the side.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:57 pm

That's such a great song.
I just followed listening to the album track by watching a live version with the volume cranked all the way up to 11.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:04 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:47 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:17 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
There is, but they are dumb all over and maybe even a little ugly on the side.

It's not stupidity, simply rational individuals prioritizing their own interests over that of a nebulous "society"

From what I've seen of the panic buyers, they don't look particularly dastardly, just regular civilians
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:43 pm

The CDC is recommending no events larger than 50 persons for the next two months

Bye, hockey season
Nec Aspera Terrent