Re: MHF - Hockey Thread

Post by StCapps » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:18 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:36 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:09 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:39 am
I'm actually feeling quite giddy, because I bet that this Covfefe was a plausible Black Swan

If this hadn't have panned out, I could have left a lot of money on the table, so there was risk to this bet

I was feeling more stress when the market wasn't reacting, now that's it's gone for a complete shit, I'm good

Same. I need one more leg down this week, and my student loans are paid off.
Disaster Capitalism FTW

Feels good man

Mad jealous, I've made jack shit off it.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:23 pm

StCapps wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:18 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:36 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:09 pm

Same. I need one more leg down this week, and my student loans are paid off.
Disaster Capitalism FTW

Feels good man

Mad jealous, I've made jack shit off it.
Really had to get in on this back in 2008-2010 to have made a mint off it

If you had bought high you'd be better off just staying long and ignoring it.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:26 pm

For me, the last straw was the Tesla bump

We're up +400% in a single quarter, very late cycle, feeling 1987ish

That's when my cockpit lit up with red warning lights; eject, eject, eject

People are dropping dead in the streets of China; terrain, terrain, terrain

Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:59 am

Ah, the sun has come out, it's only 3ºC, but that feels warm this time of year

Drawing on the first tenderloin from the strategic reserve

No need to panic buy, ten double thick tenderloin fillets at $10 ea ($7 USD), standing by

Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:29 am

The first derivative of everybody adopting my lifestyle is that it is dead quiet

There's no traffic, at all, even down on the country highway, I don't see any vehicles going by

Even in terms of air traffic, haven't seen a plane fly by yet neither

Quieter than the cottage, even the middle of nowhere is not usually this quiet

The weather is really cooperating as well

The last few March's have been shit, came in like a lion, went out like a lion

This year March has come in like a lamb, for the first time in a long time

So long as the weather is nice, I don't miss hockey, the Loafs are more of an annoyance actually
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:14 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:29 am
So long as the weather is nice, I don't miss hockey, the Loafs are more of an annoyance actually
That's what my dad says, though he always says that, whether hockey is on or not, hehe. He says the Leafs are so bad he has to turn it off all the time, can't stomach their incompetence, no matter how used to it he his, especially this year.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:22 am

StCapps wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:14 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:29 am
That's what my dad says, though he always says that, whether hockey is on or not, hehe. He says the Leafs are so bad he has to turn it off all the time, can't stomach their incompetence, no matter how used to it he his, especially this year.
Corso Italia :gang sign:

Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:25 am

I don't leave the farm much anyway apart from going to the supermarket and recently going to work in a local pub.
Sunday lunch today was about half of the usual numbers and interestingly the vast majority of those who came in were coffin dodgers. The average age must have been about 70. There were even 2 or 3 who must have been in their 90s, so frail they couldn't even hold their own plates at the carvery.
I put it down to a belligerent ''Dunkirk spirit'' from the generation who grew up during or just after the war. They were all shaking hands, blowing their noses at the table and constantly touching their faces.
The pub landlord is getting pissed off and moaning about ''the bloody media going overboard and making everyone panic''.
I had to nip into the supermarket on the way home for tobacco and a few items of food. The shelves seemed to be fairly well stocked apart from empty bread, pasta, TP and hand sanitiser shelves.
It was busier than usual for a half-hour before closing on Sunday but no one was wearing face masks and they didn't seem to care about touching the trolley handles without gloves on. I've started taking a large bag in with me and filling it straight from the shelves so I don't have to use a trolley.
I managed to get the few things I needed without any problem apart from having to buy the more expensive eggs as the cheaper ones had run out.
I make my own bread most of the time anyway and don't need bog roll atm so I was OK.
I had a chat with a friend who works there and she said that some people had been panic buying but mostly people were being sensible. She did comment that they had talked about sanitising every trolley and basket handle after each use but decided it would be such a big job that they probably wouldn't do it.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:33 am

Huh, just watching the news and they are showing queues at Costco which are 200 yds long just to get into the store.
I guess the big city dwellers are reacting differently to us out in the sticks.
I wouldn't join a queue that long even if Jennifer Laurence was giving away free blow jobs at the end of it.
Costco and other food wholesalers' stocks must be going through the roof...
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:36 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:33 am
Huh, just watching the news and they are showing queues at Costco which are 200 yds long just to get into the store.
I guess the big city dwellers are reacting differently to us out in the sticks.
I wouldn't join a queue that long even if Jennifer Laurence was giving away free blow jobs at the end of it.
Costco and other food wholesalers' stocks must be going through the roof...
I don't need toilet paper right now, but if I did, I'd have a hard time finding it, unless I time a shipment arriving at a store just right. People are being absolutely retarded, there's like two cases in all of Hamilton and the toilet paper sell out in an hour after the shipment arrives all over the place.
*yip*